Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Fuel Price..

jordan_macgregor

crikey! £96 for a tank on a family car... that is rediculous... I keep pushing the boundary of £55-£60 on a 53 litre petrol tank... but £96... Either your dad has a "huge tank" or the garage swapped a few numbers on his receipts...!

Ayye that was when he got the car delivered, being a company car, they told him to fill his old car and dropped the Insignia off with enough to get him to a garage - everyones feelin it

My Focus has a 55 ltr tank and i could easily get £70 in there - FUMIN!

When I passed my test in April 1967 you could buy 4 gallons of petrol for £1. I could fill my Singer Chamois up for £1-10s (£1.50p). Happy days. :D

On a trip to Essex and back i saw £1.46 a litre for unleaded, and £1.56 for Diesel.. Diesel round where i live/commute is currently 1.47 a litre.... Well, what happened last time with the summer riots is only the beginning...

I paid 144.9 for diesel in Morrison's in Grays Essex. :huh:

I'm sorry my friends, but it WILL keep on rising in price i'm afraid. There is an agenda, and most in the know realize that the price NEEDS to be on or around the £1.90 per litre mark by the middle of next year.

If there are any cover stories to so called "justify" the price, then happy days for the government as that makes us even easier to hoodwink.

You think the Americans would pay these type of prices? Being brits we'll do the usual... grumble about it quietly, yet put up with it.

We're the type that will hate the haircut, then smile at the barber when he holds up the mirror and even tip him, then moan about it when he can't hear us.... (true though isn't it?)

We'll do exactly the same thing regarding the fuel price... What we all NEED to do as a complete unified population with NO EXCEPTIONS is to simply NOT buy fuel for an entire month, NO MATTER WHAT! That's the only way to show the government we mean business, and can unify... In fact, it's a manner of coup de tat without the violent uprising.

The excess stocks of fuel wouldn't be flogged off cheap after a month...We'd still have to pay the same price... But it shows that perhaps we won't be held to ransom quite so much, they haven't got us by the short and curlies quite as much as they think they have...

Of course it would never work... Each of us has our own excuses as to WHY we NEED the fuel... Of course we don't actually NEED IT. I'd be prepared to use my Mountain bike for my daily 35 mile commute to work, i'd be getting fit (at last) for very little money!

I would love to know more as to why it needs to be £1.90, its a shame though as I would need it as I have a 60 mile commute to and from work, and being motorway, I would struggle to get to work (especially with my health!).

However I would happily partake in any uprising, (where I could keep my job!).

Problem is, if we all get around it by public transport, the fee's would go up to compensate the months fuel loss, then the petrol would come down then go back up again.

If I could afford a more economical car (as the government keep insisting on everyone doing) I would do so, but I cant afford to find £20,000.00 for a new car, anymore than I can afford to take part in a strike on fuel, or paying 1.90 a litre for the gold juice!

So I would ask the government this... If I cant afford a more economical car, and I cant afford to pay the petrol to go to work, then I cant work. I cant contribute to society, cant be paid for it, then I need to go on benefits. Which in turn means more lost money from the government, less tax being paid into their fat pockets...

So "what difference could one person make".

Lets say everyone on this forum had to give up their job, or chose to, to prove the point. How much lost revenue would that cause? how much loss in the economy would that cause? business goes bust, more people on the doll, more money the country pays out, less coming in...

So why is it the government think that by putting up the price of fuel that we are all benefitting.

If you cant get to work, and theres no jobs within walking distance, and your on a low wage so cant afford the public transport, how long would it take before the fat cats, and out of touch MP's realise?

How do you see the country in 20 years time? I say if the government keep going as they are, the living arrangements and the dictatorship portayed in "the hunger games" is probably not too far afield...

I passed my test in the '60s when you could buy 4 gallons of petrol for less than a £1. I have always lived within seven miles of my work. I can cycle this on my push bike or use the motorcycle. I decided to move to Lincolnshire and before we sold/bought our house I found a job and bought locally. This time only three miles to work, I could easily walk that.

These days peps travel anything from 20 to 60 miles (and more) to and from their place of work, every working day. Why oh why did you chose to travel all these miles every day did you not expect fuel to go up? I am now retired and have bought an economical to run small Ka. We obey the speed limits and drive with economy in mind. Our little stop/start Ka gives us great fuel economy averaging well over 50mpg. You must remember fuel prices will always rise. You must budget for this its a fact of life.

It's a tough one, think most of the people are really finding the cost of fuel hard to keep pace with, after we have moved to a super eco car where do we go from there, whats the next economy I just changed cars and went from 23p a mile to just over 10, so I've managed to sort the problem for a while. However once we all do that they will just increase prices even more and increase road tax to we are back to where we started. For me the conclusion is work towards a future away from the Uk,.

Well, I travel 60 miles a day to work. I moved into my home and had a job that was only a mile up the road, but at a poor wage, and a shocking establishment, I moved onto work somewhere 15 miles away from work. Then wages stayed low, and family came along, and I had to go where the work is. Unfortunately moving home close to work isnt really an option especially at the cost. So I now drive 60 miles a day to work, its got to be done. For me, I have to do it, its the only way to put food on the table, and if I could get the same pay closer to home, with guaranteed job placement (the security I have in my current role) then I would do it. But I hate spenidng a quarter of my wages on fuel, but I would rather pay 25% out of my 100% wage, than pay %0 out of my 0% wage...

Safe to say i feel kinda lucky living in Scotland - well where i live - fuel can be 140.9 for petrol and 148.9 for diesel. After being down at Alton Towers last week petrol was more expensive than our diesel at 149.9! £50 was only just hitting the 3/4 in my boyfriends Audi. It must have been the most economical i've ever seen him drive tbh. ^_^

Sorry to hear that jeebowhite :( When I left school in 1962 you could just walk into any job you pleased, no kidding. If so and so down the road was paying more some peps left at lunch time and started straight away, it was a workers paradise. This went on well into the seventies until Callaghan came to power then it all went down hill :(

Diesel is £1.41.9 here in my nearest garage at the moment. :)

Getting a bit cheaper.

But not at the Texaco next door - £1.49.9 - robbing buggers.

Hi DaveD, yeah I know what you mean. Being 23, I dont have mounds of experience to walk into any job at the best of time, but with all this recession malarky and the poor climate, its just not easy anymore :( I struggle still, and would happily take a closer to home, well paid job, but right now, I am happy with the job security! thats a lot more than some folk our there will have :(

I paid 144.9 for diesel in Morrison's in Grays Essex. :huh:

Update it is now 141.9 a little better but still taking the pee me thinks. :huh:

Update it is now 141.9 a little better but still taking the pee me thinks. :huh:

Still totally taking the pee me thinks! Here [dunfermline] it [petrol] actually went up to around 143p, but has now settled at 139p, thank christ!

I totally agree with most of the points everyone is making on this thread...

I think i want to emigrate...will take years from now probably but seriously starting to think about, there's just nothing properous about the UK anymore, like a couple guys said on here, you used to be able to walk into any job, im lucky iv got an apprenticeship with Babcock, tons of my mates are at college/uni and are faced with working in ASDA and such for years before getting a proper job - even with important quals. like civil engineering etc... but im digressing!

Fuel prices are stinkin and i would be more than happy to boycott the feckers for a month!

• 2 weeks later...

jordan_macgregor...Babcock boilers? I know them from being in the Merchant Navy all them years ago.

My local garage is 137.9 for Unleaded. Sounds like pennies compared to what som of you are paying :/

That is why we only have one car now a small new fuel efficient Ka. When driven at the legal speed limits the fuel consumption is quite impressive and lets us go for days out. Planning our days out to avoid congestion and rush hours the little Ka is a little gem. Last Friday we had an indicated 90mpg whilst doing 60mph on a A road. Kept it up for almost two miles.

My local garage is 137.9 for Unleaded. Sounds like pennies compared to what som of you are paying :/

mines dropped to 132.7 here. So glad cos I needed to fill up as I'm got a 200mile drive this weekend B) .

Topped up yesterday 136.9 for Shell fuelsave unleaded... I have recently changed my route to work, as early speculation of the route (Motorway, then A roods) seems to give an impressive return. The live MPG reader rarely dips below 60 MPG :D

jordan_macgregor...Babcock boilers? I know them from being in the Merchant Navy all them years ago.

The very same, now Babcock Intl. Group - athough its the Marine division that operate in Rosyth...

Babcock operate the Naval Base down here too.

Here we're £1.32 a litre of unleaded it's a joke really is

Here we're £1.32 a litre of unleaded it's a joke really is

Was on the motorway last night and saw it at £1.45.9 total rip off but it's mad how people pay it. I've only once filled up at a motorway services and that was cos the petrol station i usually fill up before getting on was out of petrol and I thought i'd have enough but realised I best grab £5 worth to make sure.

I am in the Isle of Man so our petrol is always ridiculous :(

It's currently at 149.9p

This website is handy if you live in the UK though - you type your town in and it tells you the cheapest place to buy fuel nearby.

http://www.petrolprices.com/