• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hi

Since owning my Focus Mk2.5 at times I have not been happy with the interference I get on radio stations , I only really listen to radio 2 and sometimes Capital , at times the quality is not that great , but not bad by any means , its just going from my fiesta mk7 the radio quality has defiantly dropped.

I have the Denso Touchscreen satnav display unit , but I'm unsure weather others find the radio quality a bit rubbish in general on the focus?

I'm thinking about trying another aerial , has anyone changed there's , if so any thing I should go for?

cheers

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 mitch84

mitch84

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

unscrewed the antenna today and the thread had a bit of corrosion , sprayed some electrical contact spray on it and brushed off , may do the trick.

#3 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

keep us posted how you get on. mind you i replaced mine with a dab unit and aerial (new aerial and wiring) but still get inteterference and it can gt annoying).

#4 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

keep us posted how you get on. mind you i replaced mine with a dab unit and aerial (new aerial and wiring) but still get inteterference and it can gt annoying).

did you have the denso satnav as well? , is this unit not DAB?

#5 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

ide use some copper grease on the ariel threads trust me they stick solid after a while i just had to change the ariel and base 2 months ago as it snapped thats 3 winters on 2 different focuses ive had its happened crappy ariels so i got a race x extendable bee sting ariel with built in amplifier definately better than the old one when its just the stubby add the extra long section and its perfect

#6 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hi

Just an update , still getting bad interference on my radio , its not constant interference but it happens a lot when you dont expect it , so disappointed with it , I would like to try cleaning the contacts which I heard were above the centre light , is this easy to remove and check for any corrosion ?

thanks

#7 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Steve,
i have the Ford/sony DAB unit and get interference still - something no reception/sound at all.
removing the light is easy, just pull it down and you can see the aerial base. there is a DAB replacement guide in ford wiki page that shows you how you replace the aerial. cant post the link on here so google is your friend.

#8 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hi

Today I purchased a Ripspeed aluminium aerial from Halfords , just fitted it and I'm very pleased so far!

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165622

On the way to get the aerial I had minor distortion every 30 seconds or so , after fitting the new aerial I have had no interference (although I only had the radio on for 5mins on my short trip) but its looking good.

Not only has it possibly solved my radio interference it looks a lot smarter than the long focus aerial , the new aerial comes with 3 different length rods , I used the longest length which is about 25cm.

cheers :)

#9 ajt

ajt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec Climate 5dr TDCi 1.6
  • Year: 2007

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

A lot of poor reception issues are down to the fact that the factory fit base is not earthed correctly to the car body. It relies on a lock washer cutting into the paint work and making contact with the metal work of the car body (this is behind the roof light).

I found on mine (I could only get signal from local radio), that the earth was not making contact. I had read about people scraping some paint away, but I don't fancy that (worried about rusting). So I use a ring crimp and connected a short piece of wire to a nut and bolt, net to the aerial, assume earth for lighting. Reception is now great, get all the channels now.

#10 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual
  • Year: 2009

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

On my previous Mondeo I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a poor connection to one of the spark plugs causing arcing, but not effecting the engine performance.

#11 btf123

btf123

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: btf123
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

A lot of poor reception issues are down to the fact that the factory fit base is not earthed correctly to the car body. It relies on a lock washer cutting into the paint work and making contact with the metal work of the car body (this is behind the roof light).

I found on mine (I could only get signal from local radio), that the earth was not making contact. I had read about people scraping some paint away, but I don't fancy that (worried about rusting). So I use a ring crimp and connected a short piece of wire to a nut and bolt, net to the aerial, assume earth for lighting. Reception is now great, get all the channels now.

I have this issue now. Previously reception was fine.

I've taken the light apart and have removed the aerial. Couldn't see anything loose or amiss.

Tightened it back up and it does seem a little better, but isn't perfect.

Couldn't see a washer similar to what you were referring to?

ANyway, the fix you used - so I just need to get a crimp onto the screw and then wire  across to another crimp connecting to the other crimp?

And can everything be earthed or is some of the aerial supposed to be insulated from the car body?

Thanks

#12 D13 HPD 95

D13 HPD 95

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,631 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7 1.25
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

Did any one solve this issue perfectly? I have it now and annoying as hell, and want rid of the noise any help?

#13 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

best suggestion is remove the light and unscrew the ariel base clean the paint underneath the connector so its shiny check threads etc and refit it should help

#14 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

as AJT said, add a new earthing point to it.

Create a new earthing point and run the cable from that to the base of the aerial to help the earthing issues.

#15 D13 HPD 95

D13 HPD 95

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,631 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7 1.25
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Cheers guys i will give that a go thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users