Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci Hesitation & Possible Egr Fault - Any Answers?

kiteman

I have a 2003 2.0 TDCi, only 43K miles but it hesitates at part throttle around 1500-1800 rpm but its fine withy more revs. Having looked up loads of forum answers people generally point towards the EGR. I've cleaned it thoroughly but the problem still exists. Is it possible to test the EGR at all - how on earth do you get enough suction on the pipe to move the valve? I can't figure it out ! (it can be pushed and it does move but it seems to take a lot of pressure to move it). This does seems to be a common problem so has anyone sorted it out completely or could it be a number of things and I need to get it into the dealers to see if any engine management codes show? Apart from this issue the engine seems OK - no black smoke, pretty smooth at speed, acceleration OK etc so its an irritating fault rather than serious. I'm bascially driving "through" the fault. If the EGR is faulty what sort of cost am I lokking at and any ideas where to get one from for a decent price? Hope fully someone has some advice? Cheers, Andy

another thing to check which will give you a hesitation at 1500-1800 revs, a split intercooler pipe, which is the large pipe from the bottom of the egr valve.

I've checked the intercooler pipe and it looks OK and in good condition. Did notice that a metal clip was undone where the pipe enters the airbox so it wasnt that tight - I've fixed that but not roadtested yet. I have also noticed that theres a valve linking the manifold vacuum tube to the EGR valve and at idle it doesn't allow the vacuum as far as the EGR, in fact even having someone rev the engine it still doesn't !! I'm guess once on the move other sensors come into play and then perhaps this valve works. I did read somewhere that the EGR valve only operates over a limited range of conditions. Still not sure how to test the EGR - seen some hand vacuum pumps around e.g. for brake bleeding so tempted to get one for testing and when the brakes need to be done ! so....still baffled !

Quick update - decided to order a new EGR - from Hatfields Jaguar off their eBay shop (exactly the same as the ford one at half the price !!!). Delivered next day. Just carried out a quick test by applying the manifold vacuum whilst holding the new EGR (the car was idling) and hey presto, the valve slides across smoothy so I firmly believe the old EGR was faulty. Will fit it this weekend and report back, fingers crossed.

At the moment I'm not sure what the problem was with the old EGR valve so i'll check it again when the new one's on.

The new one seems pretty tight but the manifold vacuum moves it really easily so I'm absolutelt sure the old one is faulty. Just hoping this will sort the problem out then I need to see why the cruise control isn't working !!!

Update - AHH....fitted a new EGR valve and the hesitation is still there. Tested the old one off the manifold vacuum and it does work...bit slow to respond but the valve itself does move OK. SO.....back to square one. I rigged to an LED from the valve which switches vacuum to the EGR to give an indication when the valve switches. As expected at very light throttle this valve allow vacuum to the EGR and as soon as you put your foot down (even a bit) it switches off so it looks like this is working OK too...so the EGR is probably NOT the problem.

Spend some time feeling around the intercooler pipe and it does seem to be OK. Not sure how to remove it from the intercooler to check properly - access looks difficult?

Therefore any othe ideas?

Quick update - replaced fuel filter (and air filter). No fault codes coming up on F-Super but the problem is still there - best described as juddering at low throttle around 1500rpm. Great above that though. Still can't see any splits in the intercooler pipes - looks tricky to get to the lower clip - any ideas so I can check it properly.

Not sure whats my next step?

Andy

Could quite easily be a faulty injector or injectors, mine does the same and when i had a leak off test done it failed.

I did wonder about injectors. I've seen various posts about leak off tests so might work something out and do a test. Do you get the same sort of symptoms? My hesitation / judder is usually about 30mph in 4th on a very light throttle (hardly any really) - about 1500 rpm. Its not really noticeable in, say 6th, crusing on the motorway though. If I keep the car in a lower gear from about 1800rpm then its fine but the engine feels a bit busy at that sort of rpm pottering around in town !

• 4 years later...

I've had the same problem with mine for a year or so.

So far I've blocked off the egr, which really reduced the hesitation. It just feels like a slight wheel wobble.

Had all 4 injectors reconditioned 

Cleaned the maf sensor 

Replaced the turbo hose.

Cleaned out the inlet manifold.

It'so much faster now and picks up instantly in 5th or 6th at motorway speeds.

But the slight hesitation is still there at 2k 

Common fault is the 90 degree turbo pipe splitting which comes from the erg valve.

when you put you foot down n turbo kicks in do you hear a whooshing sound?

i had this on mine few year back it had the smallest split but couldn't see it looking at it had to remove it and was under the pipe

I bought 2012 turbo diesel 3 mths ago and Traction control light comes on randomly sometimes after 10mins, 1/2 hr, then will do 2 hr run and nothing.

Ford picked up one fuel injector pipe was lose and diesel all over engine so new pair fitted, cleaned up and problem still there.

Noticeable that immed hestitates thru gear changes, barely noticeable when down hill, and smooth driving in top gear. Diagnostic tests while light on at Ford dealer and auto elec traced 4 codes so clearing codes one at time ruled out turbo or trans however not sure if fuel or elect problem. No ABS problems and Trac Control switch on dash does nothing. Next test before I spend anything is to take out and before light comes on, put into tiptronic mode and drive and see what happens.

In theory if a fuel problem then light should continue to come on. The randomness makes me think its a contact problem in electrics but several $ooo,s finding cause looks to be only option other than selling. Like the car but thesenew injectors trade off for 900kms/tank are a joke at this expense.

Most annoying when accelerating through from red light on slight uphill gradient as surging to slow when trying to increase speed, so only gtakes ti ny acceleartion before trans is trying to chop down, causes slow draw away and holds up behind traffic.

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club