30 replies to this topic

#1 markw96

markw96

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 tdci titanium (DPF)
  • Year: 2008

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

After a bit of advice here, i hope someone can help, ive searched forums ect but to no avail.
The heater is working as such i.e the fan is working and blowing out air, but only cold, it will not blow out any hot air what so ever.
To cut a long story short it worked perfectly until the weekend (when it was hot) and the ac (on cold) was used alot, now when its came to be used on a cold morning it just dont seem to get warm at all. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,891 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

ide look at the dial first the heater dial is it actually turning? with the fan on 3 and set to cold as you turn it to hot you should hear a change in tone as the flap closes for outside air.

the ac itself wouldnt affect it so it has to be the dial the flap or a heater valve

#3 markw96

markw96

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Firstly thanks for the reply, just been out to the car and tried what you have suggested and i couldnt hear a change in tone. What would this indicate the problem as being? the heater flap?

#4 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,891 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

sounds like its stuck in cold perhaps the cables come undone you should be able to check by removing the kick plate son the passenger and drivers side 2 torq screws on the pass side 1 on the drivers side t25 i believe then the covers simply pop off youll see the wires andmechanisms from there but i believe they are a pig to fix so maybe a trip to a dealer is in order they know the tricks so usually they can get it done quickly

#5 markw96

markw96

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

I'll have a look at that in the morning, thanks for your advice.

#6 markw96

markw96

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Right jobs a good un, all fixed. It was simply the cable that goes from the heater control knob that was simply bent, a slight kink in it. It was an easy job to.

1. Remove the plastic facia around the stereo & heater controls.
2. Undo the 4 torex(25) bolts holding in the stereo, pull it out unclip the aerial and leads at the the back.
3. Unclip the cable (marked red) Straighten up the cable (was kinked where ive circled black)

Checked it was working, then replaced it all back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

Excellent job there Sir. :)

#8 Inter City

Inter City

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus diesel estate 1.6 TDci 2007

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Guys,I just had exactly the same problem and after reading your forum I found my cable had a kink,think I will have to change cable soon,does anyone know if this is a straight forward job to do?..but thanks for steering me to repairing my heater,it was 0 degrees this morning,,!!

#9 slartibartfast

slartibartfast

slartibartfast

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Name: phil
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2 2.0 Ghia petrol

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi, I have a problem I am struggling with. Nobody seems to know how to remove the cable with the green collar on that is shown in the pictures above. The Haynes manual is no use at all, it just says remove the cables. Any help how to get it off would be greatly appreciated. I can pull it back so far, but as I pull it, there seems to be some kind of hidden spring holding it in. I cannot find anywhere that I might be able to squeze to unclip it, and if I turn it, the air direction knob turns with it.

Cheers.

Phil.

#10 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

If it's any use to you, heres a photo of what the inside of the socket looks like.

There doesn't appear to be any tabs or clips for holding the cable in.-

#11 slartibartfast

slartibartfast

slartibartfast

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

If it's any use to you, heres a photo of what the inside of the socket looks like.

There doesn't appear to be any tabs or clips for holding the cable in.-

DSC_0053.jpg

Thanks for the pic.

I have a complete heater control panel with me on my desk, it has red illumination, and I want to swap it for my current green illuminated one. the odd shaped insides match the green collar that sits inside it, and enables the green collar to turn with the knob. I have looked long and hard at the one on my desk and the one fitted to my car at the moment that has the cable attached, but I just dont know what is holding it in that is springy enough for me to pull the green collar back for a limited distance The further I pull back, the harder the unseen "springy thing" tries to pull it back in, and I don't want to break anything, as cable replacement my be an expensive main dealer job. The only clue is that when the direction control knob is set to the screen and feet position, a slot appears in the black part that the green part goes into, this can be seen whilst looking directly into the oblong hole on the back, directly behind the centre of the air direction knob. Hope this makes sense. Not knowing how to do this when it is probably easy is driving me nuts.

Phil.

#12 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

I know exactly what you mean.

The one i'd taking photos of is a blue converted unit i've been trying to find time to fit myself.

Look at this photo, when the dial is aligned as you say (notch lining up) look to the other circled bit.

It seems when the notch aligns then there is a clear hole through to the area where the base of the cable would clip in.

Maybe an access port to push a clip?

I'm going to make the asumption that the notches being aligned is a visual reference mark for when trying to remove the unit in the confined area of the car while the cables are attached (not a lot of free play to pull the unit right out to see what you're doing?)

#13 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Further to this post, looking on eBay, someone is selling a heater control with the cable in place but disconnected from the other end instead.

Maybe it's easier to remove the other end and then swap the cable over on a steady surface away from the car?

#14 slartibartfast

slartibartfast

slartibartfast

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Further to this post, looking on eBay, someone is selling a heater control with the cable in place but disconnected from the other end instead.

Maybe it's easier to remove the other end and then swap the cable over on a steady surface away from the car?

T2eC16hHJHYE9nzpgId5BQcuRuc-60_12.jpg

I see what you mean about the visual reference, here is a pic of mine.

cogs_zps9ebd3d39.jpg

I had not spotted the one on ebay. That is very interesting, I thought it might be very difficult to remove the cable at the other end, but if it is easy, I would certainly do that to get the parts "on the table" for closer inspection, and I could also replace the cable, as it still works, but I have put a large crack in the green collar whilst trying to remove it! (oops). The main problem then is how do you remove the other end? The last thing I want to do is try it, and end up with a broken/disconected part that won't go back together, and then taking it to Ford and paying through the nose to get it fixed. Surely there is someone on the forum who has actually done this.

cheers.

Phil.

#15 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,965 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

TBH, it's probably the same removal procedure for the other end.

If you've already broken your existing cable maybe it would be beneficial to get a replacement one then you can study the ends for reference purposes before going further?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users