Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My First Car

Savagesam

Hello, My name is Sam .

Its coming up to my 17th birthday and i have got my hands on this MK2 1.1 Fiesta.

i spotted it sitting on someones driveway for quite a while so one day i knocked on their door and asked what they were doing with it. They said they were going to scrap it, i got my dad to check the car over and as since it was quite rusty in places, he then managed to make a deal with them for £50.

We got it home after it sitting on their drive for atleast 3 years not being touched. The engine runs fine and the chassis is solid. The only real problem with it is rust on the doors, bonnet, sills and a couple of little rust spots here and there. My dad works in an accident repair body shop so i have all the tools and knowledge at my disposal.

The car is an Automatic and preferably as my first car i would like a manual so i am hoping to put a manual gearbox and all the other items needed into it to make it manual - so i am on the hunt for some parts!

I would like to replace the doors and bonnet as they have pretty much had it. I have had a look on eBay but i havent had any luck on finding any bits that suit my low budget, so any help would be much appreciated.

Fiesta.JPG

Many thanks,

Sam

Damn that thing has seen better days for sure, but if you're right with a sound chassis and engine then you're on to a winner there my friend. In fairness though without seeing the other side then the bodywork seems sound really, except the front end.

My first car was a project, for a first car it's definitely the way to go for sure, you get a real sense of pride, and 4 years on I still have the car, just I use it as more of a fun car now :P.

Interested in seeing how this goes.

Welcome to the forum mate,

fantastic Motor you have their, even has a sun roof and everything. white is a great colour to buy on a motor of its year too, because being white it would have been washed more than any other colour and more likely to have been well maintained when it was on the road.

id love to have a project like this mate, id nearly do a straight swap with you. :)

some tips i can give you that dont cost the earth is:

purchase some smooth peanut butter and give all the black plastic exterior a wax with it,

this will bring it back to black like nothing else, and keeps it that way too.

second thing:

contact Dave at DMB Graphics he will be able to supply you with the original decals and side strip for your motor,

as i see part of your existing side strip is gone,

http://www.dmb.uk.co...t/55/fiesta-mk1

also your mates will like this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cb8f4805f

and i sincerly recommend you purchase yourself one of these,

to keep her on the driveway, before you put any money in to it and start to invest your hard earned mate,

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c247ecf3d

worth every penny, and also has the fuse link that allows wnough power through to keep your clock and stereo alive.

but the car wont start without the plug in the centre, so its better than a siren and the last thing a theif will have in his pocket, or time to find out why it wont start either.

because your car wont have an imobiliser as standard.

email this seller on eBay, who is breaking a mk2,

he has a nice bonnet and some de-tangoed front indicator lenses

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4164293820

and here are some detangoed side repeaters

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a6c0a7cec

straight swap from your existing ones, and would go nicely with the white body work.

new fron panel are not that expensive neither mate

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1584b88e

Agreed, I have one of those cut-offs on my Mini, it's worth 10x that price for the hassle and safety it serves. Also agreed on the peanut butter, and as a plus you also have easy dinner for half way between all that elbow grease you'll need cleaning her up, on sandwiches of course, I wouldn't recommend straight off the mucky plastic.

Thinking of it, the XR2i decals with those pepper-pot wheels would look really cool on her.

Thanks for the tips.

Tomorrow i plan to give it a good clean and i will take some more pictures.

Thanks for the tips.

Tomorrow i plan to give it a good clean and i will take some more pictures.

look foward to the pics mate,

your water jets for the windscreen may be shot too, and the hosing,

both are very cheap to replace and the mk3 focus mist type jets will fit your car too,

they cost less than £10 and spray a mist rather than a stream, see my guide in the list below my posts.

You have a diamond in the rough there! I agree with other posts that when she is fixed up she will be a cracker.

Keep us updated and welcome to the forum, hope you have a great birthday.

Em xxxx

Yeah, i have one working working jet, so i'll see whats wrong with that tomorrow.

Also i have a problem with the boot, it will not open. i haven't had a proper look at it yet but from that would you have any idea what it may be? sorry for being so vague.

Yeah, i have one working working jet, so i'll see whats wrong with that tomorrow.

Also i have a problem with the boot, it will not open. i haven't had a proper look at it yet but from that would you have any idea what it may be? sorry for being so vague.

no problem mate,

were all here to learn and encourage,

id try some WD-40 in the key hole for starters and take it from their.

if you require a set of jets and would prefer a regular set PM me and ill send you a regular set of jets from a 2010 mk2.5 focus. they are all the same size of fitment.

yeah thats the first thing i tried but with no success :(

yeah thats the first thing i tried but with no success :(

Can you get to the back of the lock in the boot from the back seat? A little wd40 from this side may help. If not you maybe able to see what the problem is from there.

Em xxx

Just a quick word of advice, I would advice against changing the gearbox as getting insurance for a "modified" car at your age will be horrendous.

Ok, i will try that.

And thanks for the advice.

Today i cleaned and stripped down the car and this is what i found.

It cleaned up quite well.

fiesta1.jpg

side.jpg

back.jpg

Then i found the rust...

rightboot.jpg

The picture above is the right side of the boot

The picture below is the left side of the boot

leftboot.jpg

The floor is all good.

floor2.jpg

But parts of the inner sills arent. Its exactly the same on the other side too.

diversill.jpg

flich1.jpg

These two pics are the left and right inner flitch panels.

flich2.jpg

Underneath the boot.

rear.jpg

The left rear lower quarter.

rearwheel.jpg

chassis.jpg

The chassis of the car is pretty good. The worst of the rust is on the flitches as you can see.

Still couldnt get the boot lock to open properly, had to open it from the inside manually.

Still doesn't look like anything your old man can't handle.

Couple of patches and a pair of pattern parts sills should make a big difference.

Think about how good it will look when done and that will see you through.

Nothing like a fixerupper to teach you how to respect and care for a car.

Best of luck with the project.

My brother used to have the 1.1 Ghia in blue and I went to look at one in gold.Many years ago now. :rolleyes: