Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is My Head Unit The Wrong Type?

Oliman74

Hi there everyone,

I have bought a 2009 Focus Zetec with sports pack but I cannot get the Voice or bluetooth to work:

When I press the Voice button the headunit displays VOICE and the audio cuts out momentarily, say 1 second, there is never any voice coming through the Speakers and the audio [music] comes straight back on and thats all that ever happens.

When I try to pair my mobile to the bluetooth the Ford Audio is detected by my phone but typing in 0000, 1234, 4444, 9999 just results in a message saying unable to pair, incorrect code [mobile is Motorola Atrix with Android 2.3 Gingerbread] I get the same with my wife's Samsung Solid M110. There are no phones in the headunit memory and the display on the headunit never changes to give any prompts for pairing [don't know if it should].

I have tried the following so far from reading other threads:

Removed the fuse for the headunit and left for 15 minutes, entered headunit unlock code and tried again with Voice and bluetooth, still the same.

Hold the power button down on the headunit, it resets but still no change.

Disconnect the connector from the Nokia module behind the glovebox and left for over 9 hours, plugged back in and still no change. Tried this about 8 times now leaving disconnected for anything from 5 minutes to 3 hours, never makes any difference.

The only thing I can say is that the headunit does not appear to be the one that was originally fitted to the car, it is a Ford 6000CD but the serial number identifies it as being from a Volvo [according to the unlock code site I used, is this normal?] and it is a charcoal colour rather than the silver version but it has Ford on the front next to 6000cd but when I checked the vehicle ID within the headunit menu it listed a 57 plate car, mine is 09.

Everything else seems to be working and where the Bluetooth is visible makes it appear that the module is working.

Can it be that the headunit is incompatible?

I hope someone out there knows what's going on because I am really stuck with this :(

This really sounds like you have an older headunit, which was never meant to work with the new bluetooth kit. What is the part number (starts with 7M5T or similar).

Hi Tom thanks for looking,

All that is on the headunit is:

FDD200 7 V076347

Under this is a date:

The V07.... code is the one I provided to the unlocking service.

What do you reckon?

I'm assuming you mean this type of radio?

CodeLoc.jpg

If that is the case then you won't get it to work with bluetooth.

To operate with your bluetooth you need one like this - which is incidentally the radio you should have in the car.

$(KGrHqJHJ!wE9qgSbFDtBPc3LlsdR!~~60_12.JPG

I'd make the assumption that the previous owner probably broke the original and replaced it with what they could afford.

The one above would be about £500 from Ford to replace.

There are some better deals on eBay.

Hi Stoney,

Perhaps the headunit is not to blame then as mine looks exactly the same as the one you say I need to have i.e. the second headunit in your post.

Should I try another headunit anyway or try another Nokia module?

There has to be a Ford part number on the radio somewhere, on the sticker with the (black) oval. From the date it might just be a couple of months to old to work with the current Nokia (resp. Novero) module.

To operate with your bluetooth you need one like this - which is incidentally the radio you should have in the car.

$(KGrHqJHJ!wE9qgSbFDtBPc3LlsdR!~~60_12.JPG

I'd make the assumption that the previous owner probably broke the original and replaced it with what they could afford.

The one above would be about £500 from Ford to replace.

There are some better deals on eBay.

The Oval radio can still be the wrong one for the car guys and girls,

im on my third sony stereo oval shape, :rolleyes:

this is my third purchase of the sony model and they are all the wrong ones for my focus,

because the are manufactured before 2008 and although they are the oval shape and identical to the 2008 model, the software inside of them is not compatable or updateable to communicate with the aux port, the bluetooth or the voice control in the 2008-2010 models of focus.

:( i regret selling my original 2010 ford 6000cd stereo because my attempt to upgrade to the sony model without doing any research first, has cost me over £100 in loss on the re-sale of the units, as previously said im on my third stereo and have found out that what i need to purchase is a ford stereo that was manufactured in 2008 or 2009 and from a focus,

ensure the new stereo is from a focus and not a mondeo too :huh:

because the mondeo stereo's although the are identical in shape and apperance, the software inside of them is not updatable and is not compatable with the bluetooth or wiring configuration found in the focus. :wacko:

so bottom line is you need a ford stereo either a 6000cd or sony model, that is from a ford focus and manufactured in years either 2008, 2009 or 2010

if the stereo complys with the above conditions, then it is compatable with your bluetooth module, your aux port, and your voice control.

thank you for reading,

and i would have been greatfull to get this information before i began to purchase, the hard way trial and error is very costly.

Hey Lenny,

Cheers for the insight, yes as you will have noticed my headunit is 2007 so it looks as though your experience would stack up with why my system will not work correctly.

I have seen a Sony 6 disc and several 6000cd units on eBay which I'll keep my eye on ;)

Out of curiosity I also thought I'd check out the Wong Bong headunits that are available, does anyone have any experience with these units? Will I be throwing away good money?......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-DVD-GPS-Navi-Autoradio-Headunit-Ford-Mondeo-New-Focus-S-Max-Kuga-/220948452740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33718dd584

Hey Lenny,

Out of curiosity I also thought I'd check out the Wong Bong headunits that are available, does anyone have any experience with these units? Will I be throwing away good money?......

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item33718dd584

I would also like to hear from people who have purchased the aftermarket stereo for the focus,

ive got my eye on this model and would like to know if they are worth the purchase.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280826971793?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D280826971793%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I've been busy checking out various stuff and I've just this moment purchased a 2010 headunit identical to my existing one, because for a ton for a 'brand new condition' headunit it gives me the full monty of BT and Voice and allows me to wait for the aftermarket headunits to develop more.

Lenny, in response to your ask for peoples experience I was looking before I made my purchase and found this thread relating to a Passat forum and it all sounds very good, I also digged the idea of buying a reg plate light reversing camera, they're about £20 on eBay and look just like what you get on new cars with the feature.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/74-volkswagen-passat-b6-discussion/315570-gps-dvd-head-unit-reveiw-w7-tid-7501-a.html

The reason why I want to hold fire for now is two fold:

1] no voice control support

2] Internet, I reckon they will include some form of WiFi/3G or even 4G into these things soon and then they will be really cool to consider but for now, I just want to have the voice control and hands free phone experience B)

There is one on eBay now that boasts running some form of Android and therefore Android apps but, its a lot of dough.

All I want to say for now is thanks guys for your help, especially you Lenny as your 'unfortunate' experience allowed me to make the right choice of purchase, thank you. :)

I also would like to know if anyone has bought any of the aftermarket stereo's that are listed on eBay...i quite fancy both of the models that have been mentioned in this topic, especailly the one from yanky-doodle-dandy land

I've been busy checking out various stuff and I've just this moment purchased a 2010 headunit identical to my existing one, because for a ton for a 'brand new condition' headunit it gives me the full monty of BT and Voice and allows me to wait for the aftermarket headunits to develop more.

Lenny, in response to your ask for peoples experience I was looking before I made my purchase and found this thread relating to a Passat forum and it all sounds very good, I also digged the idea of buying a reg plate light reversing camera, they're about £20 on ebay and look just like what you get on new cars with the feature.

http://www.passatwor...tid-7501-a.html

The reason why I want to hold fire for now is two fold:

1] no voice control support

2] Internet, I reckon they will include some form of WiFi/3G or even 4G into these things soon and then they will be really cool to consider but for now, I just want to have the voice control and hands free phone experience B)

There is one on ebay now that boasts running some form of Android and therefore Android apps but, its a lot of dough.

All I want to say for now is thanks guys for your help, especially you Lenny as your 'unfortunate' experience allowed me to make the right choice of purchase, thank you. :)

No problem mate,

happy to be of assistance and share experience.

• 2 weeks later...

C'mon people, I can't believe that out of all the members of Ford Owners....

....Not a single person has bought one of these Wong Bong headunits....

Don't be shy :)

I for one would really like to know what the sound quality is like, does a Sony or Pioneer p*ss on them from an audiophile point of view?

Maybe I'll buy one if no-one is forthcoming and I'll provide a review ;)

Member JohnH has one