Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Issue 2.2 Tdci Mondeo Tickover & Mpg

dsa777

Hi,

Looking for advice, I bought a 3 month old 2.2 Mondeo Titanium X sport 200 a few months ago. The idle keeps dropping revs when cold to the point it stalled on one occasion. I took it back to the dealer who updated the software and said bring it back if the issues continues which it has.

I haven't had time to take it back yet but the other thing about the car is the mpg imo is poor. I'm averaging 32-33 through a tank on mixed driving. If I sit bored on the motorway at 65-70 I may push 40. The urban is 36 according to Ford combined 47..I wish!

I'm wondering if this is what I should expect and Ford are making the fuel figures or that the issues are all linked?

I really like the car apart from these niggles.

Any feedback would be appreciated

• 1 year later...

Hi dsa, I've got a 2009 txs n I get 37 mpg it's 25 bhp less than your car, hope this helps

hey this may be no advice, but i own a 1.8 tdci focus 2008 titanium, and combined driving im only getting 33-35 mpg

Looking for advice, I bought a 3 month old 2.2 Mondeo Titanium X sport 200 a few months ago. The idle keeps dropping revs when cold to the point it stalled on one occasion. I took it back to the dealer who updated the software and said bring it back if the issues continues which it has.

I haven't had time to take it back yet

So, they have updated the software, and the issue with the idle speed hasn't been improved at all. And, it only happens when it is cold.?

...but the other thing about the car is the mpg imo is poor. I'm averaging 32-33 through a tank on mixed driving. If I sit bored on the motorway at 65-70 I may push 40. The urban is 36 according to Ford combined 47..I wish!

It is easier to discuss the motorway figure than anything else (Motorway driving is more-or-less the same for most people, whereas your 'Urban' may be completely different from mine...and probably is.)

40 is poor. I would have expected at least upper 40s to low 50s, unless you are spending all your time in contraflows and traffic jams, so I'd say there is something not quite right. Now, whether it is something fairly trivial (eg, something that could be cured with a dose of injector cleaner) or something more major, it is difficult to say. (Do you know anything about the history of the vehicle?)

I always tell people to check that the rear brakes aren't sticking first, because it is surprising how easy it is to only look under the bonnet for fuel economy problems and forget that it could be other things.

The other thing is to make sure that the garage read any codes, because if there are any, that could be a real pointer and would be much better than just taking guesses at what it might be.

...and Ford are making the fuel figures...

Well, the fuel consumption figures are all measured under standardised conditions. They don't have any choice about that, it is a legal requirement and the same requirement applies to all manufacturers.

So, at least one car once was able to get those numbers when tested. the biggest problem is that those conditions were nothing like the conditions in which you drive, day to day. So it would be unwise to rely on getting those figures, exactly. The other thing is that the legal test conditions do a allow a little 'wriggle room' to flatter the figures (by setting the car up 'unrealistically), so given that chance what would you expect them to do?

Before you answer that last question, do keep in mind that in as far as this testing also relates to CO2 figures, and thus taxation, Please remember that not getting the best CO2 figure is the same as saying 'Ooooh, yes, I'd like to pay extra Vehicle Excise Duty, please!' which I'd be surprised to find was a wildly popular position.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club