Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus ST170 in a mini

mini-st170

hi all. i have recently took on the task of doing a rwd mini st170 with sierra gearbox, diff etc. i have since got the engine in the car and mounted. i am changing the throttle bodies for suzuki gsx-r 750's as they fit straight on. now the problem i have is the wiring. i do have the loom but have a feeling someone has chopped the ecu plug off. i am missing the ecu anyway but have the clocks and would like to use them if possible. where can i find a diagram showing what plug goes where etc. i can source an ecu or buy an aftermarket ecu but still either need a new loom or find an ecu with ready made loom. i am in desperate need of what to do next and what path to follow. any help is greatly appreciated. cheers luke

hi all. i have recently took on the task of doing a rwd mini st170 with sierra gearbox, diff etc. i have since got the engine in the car and mounted. i am changing the throttle bodies for suzuki gsx-r 750's as they fit straight on. now the problem i have is the wiring. i do have the loom but have a feeling someone has chopped the ecu plug off. i am missing the ecu anyway but have the clocks and would like to use them if possible. where can i find a diagram showing what plug goes where etc. i can source an ecu or buy an aftermarket ecu but still either need a new loom or find an ecu with ready made loom. i am in desperate need of what to do next and what path to follow. any help is greatly appreciated. cheers luke

By far your best option is to ditch the standard loom and ECU and run standalone management, Omex, DTA or any other system you can find that comes with a loom for your engine. Management isnt cheap but will allow for maximum tuneability for the engine once built, especially using the bike bodies!

All that leaves you with is dial readouts, and IMO the best bet is to kit the car out with bespoke dials. You can source speedo's with their own pickups which you can mount to your hub carrier which will give you a far more accurate readout as you can set it to your exact wheel and tyre dimentions. The only other hard thing to set up will be your fuel guage as getting a bespoke guage to match a sender is pretty difficult, so if your using the mini tank, the mini fuel guage would be the best bet if you can remove it from the dash cluster and add it to its own pod.

oil pressure and water temp are both dead easy to wire, as is the rev guage which can run from the ECU.

Hope that helps. And a link to any build thread would be interesting :)

thanks for that. so they do make a loom to replace the original then. it does seem the better option but how much roughly is a management system and loom and does it have the correct plugs for all the sensors on engine. p.s. i dont have a build thread but will send you some pictures. many thanks again

thanks for that. so they do make a loom to replace the original then. it does seem the better option but how much roughly is a management system and loom and does it have the correct plugs for all the sensors on engine. p.s. i dont have a build thread but will send you some pictures. many thanks again

Absolutely. If you buy a management system new, they will normally ask you what engine you want to use it on. If you buy second hand, a good loom maker will knock you one up. I may be able to put you in touch if you struggle.

Money wise, youll be looking at the sharp end of 800 quid if you go new, but ive seen used omex systems go for as little as 250 on eBay!

Stuff will always appear on eBay if your looking (I have a set of QED bodies and DTA management on eBay as we speak, but they are for a vauxhall C20XE). Arm yourself with info on the best kit to use as im not going to be much help in that respect as im a vauxhall boy, so im not au fais with the ford engines im afraid lol The caterham boys wil probably be the best way to go next as they will be very experienced with arming Zetecs with bodies and management :)

cool so if i buy a second hand dta system would someone be able to make me a loom to suit the engine and TB's.

cool so if i buy a second hand dta system would someone be able to make me a loom to suit the engine and TB's.

Absolutely :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club