Photo

3 Year Service - 27,000 Miles - What To Do?!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 1.6 TDCi Zetec
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi Peeps,

First of all, amazing site. I've been wanting to post this for a while now, but every time I search I keep getting distracted reading other posts, so hopefully this is not a common query! Long story short time, 58 plate 1.6 TDCi DPF focus, purchased it with 17k on the clock almost a year ago, about to do 27k. It's about to have it's third service (looks like it wasn't used for the first six months, first service mid-2010, which accounts for it's low mileage), and I can see from ETIS that third service is meant to be a full one. Now from what I can see, the major difference between the interim and full service is the topping up of the EOLYS fluid, which surely is dependant on mileage, not age?

So, I would appreciate advice on the following please:

Based on car age and mileage, do I go for an interim or full service?
What should I expect to pay for each of the services?
I understand going to an indy might be a better option? Any suggestions for the north-west (Rochdale)?
Will going to an indy compromise the "service history"?

Hope these questions aren't too stupid. Love my Focus, and just want to make sure I take good care of her! Thanks in advance.

Jon

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

indys are fine as long as they do the job right some dont find someone whos experienced with fords or diesels ive found round mxm way ford are just as cheap if not cheaper than the indys and they know what they are doing, in the past ive had indys claim to do a service then found that they havent done it all.

i would have the full service done if the eloys fluid needs done it will get checked and topped up

#3 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi again,

Does anyone else have any advice on this? I've still not got it serviced; hoping to do so next weekend, but still not clear on what's best; intermediate service or full service. Just to clarify, it's done around 28,000 miles now, is a 58 plate and has only had two services in the past.

Evans Halshaw are quoting £160ish for an intermediate service. If i go down this route I will have the full service done next year, which will be closer to the 37,500 mile mark anyway.

Any more advice/insight would be appreciated.

Cheers.

#4 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

dont go near evans halshaw with a barge pole they are truly shocking both for the cars they sell and the service my last service done by them was a sham i noticed the engie oil was dirty and was told its because the special oil had a green tinge didnt believe it at all so went to my ususal fords who said there was no other oil but ford specified oil and no oil with a green tinge either they just hadnt changed it they did change th epollen filter but never put the bolts back in for the cover instead left them under the passenger side mat the spark plugs were not changed as they said they checked them and they were fine rubbish they were due to be changed and the air filter was black bunch of cowboys who should be shut down. my mate bought an approved ford from them yeah approved by a blind man elec windows not working leaks in the footwells and boot dodgy touch up paint work 4 engine faults a leaky radiator and an unbonded reare window as well as noisy aircon steer clear to answer the question if you change the air filter youreself and pollen filter it will be an intermediate other wise a decent garage will advise you what needs done if you have a maklin motors near you they will do it with ford parts for a good price mine qoute an intermediat at 79 quid a full at 139 quid

#5 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

OK, booked in for this weekend, £129 for "Silver service" - basically oil and oil filter change and some checks.

http://www.lifestyle...-silver-service - looks similar to this.

This is from OMC Ford (local guys), who have been good in the past.

I actually purchased the car from Evans Halshaw, and while there's been nothing wrong with it, I am dubious that the service they did before I bought it was more than just a stamp in the book.

Thanks for the help,

Jon

#6 ijustwantafile

ijustwantafile

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Name: mike
  • Ford Model: focus titanium

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

OK, booked in for this weekend, £129 for "Silver service" - basically oil and oil filter change and some checks.

http://www.lifestyle...-silver-service - looks similar to this.

This is from OMC Ford (local guys), who have been good in the past.

I actually purchased the car from Evans Halshaw, and while there's been nothing wrong with it, I am dubious that the service they did before I bought it was more than just a stamp in the book.

Thanks for the help,

Jon

Xtra Value Silver Service - £139.00

What's included |

> Change Engine Oil and replace Filter
> Visual inspection of Braking System
> Check all levels
> Check Operation of Lights
> Check Windscreen Washers and Align
> Check Tyre Tread Depth and Pressures
> Check Exhaust Systems and Fixings
> Check Operation of Doors, Windows and Locks
> Road Test and Written Vehicle Condition Report

Seems they're doing a hell of a lot of looking at the car and no actual work. oil and filter costs what £30-40? so they get £100 for labour.

Is it worth keeping a full service history? how much value does this add to the car?

My car's due for a service end of June and first once since I've owned the car. same car as you (08 reg focus) but petrol.

Besides oil change what else do these cars need doing?

#7 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual
  • Year: 2009

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

Xtra Value Silver Service - £139.00

What's included |

> Change Engine Oil and replace Filter
> Visual inspection of Braking System
> Check all levels
> Check Operation of Lights
> Check Windscreen Washers and Align
> Check Tyre Tread Depth and Pressures
> Check Exhaust Systems and Fixings
> Check Operation of Doors, Windows and Locks
> Road Test and Written Vehicle Condition Report

Seems they're doing a hell of a lot of looking at the car and no actual work. oil and filter costs what £30-40? so they get £100 for labour.

Is it worth keeping a full service history? how much value does this add to the car?

My car's due for a service end of June and first once since I've owned the car. same car as you (08 reg focus) but petrol.

Besides oil change what else do these cars need doing?

The parts on a service are fairly cheap, the labour charge is always expensive, but for warranty claims and resale value you have to do it on a young car, as the car gets older it becomes less important, it all depends how long you intend to keep the car and if you are capable of doing the service yourself. If you are earning £50+ per hour at work then let somebody else get oily. :D

#8 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

I'm thinking along the same lines as ijustwantafile said; the car is fairly young, with low mileage, and FSH at the moment. I realise I'm basically paying for an oil + filter change and a stamp in the book. Gonna get them to rotate my tyres while they're at it, get my money's worth!

Wonder if they'll be able to give me an idea if Evans Halshaw actually did service it. Will ask :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users