Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Diesels Are The Best?

fordieashx

Right... so as the topic says, which diesels do you think are the best... and why? Are they worth the extra ££ at the filling station? And can you still get that great performance from them like a petrol?

Fire away :D

Right... so as the topic says, which diesels do you think are the best... and why? Are they worth the extra ££ at the filling station? And can you still get that great performance from them like a petrol?

Fire away :D

Check out the Focus Forum, and look at this post, it gets very interesting toward the end of the post.

Bloomin Dpf Regeneration.

You may want to avoid Diesels after reading this.

hmm.... i think i want to change this question to the best petrols now! :blink:

hmm.... i think i want to change this question to the best petrols now! :blink:

Fords are downsizing their engines and going away from diesels and developing the petrol engine.

In the last year Ford have been using a 1.6Ltr petrol engine with a turbo, but that’s not been around very long, but it sounds a good idea, the next petrol engine coming along is a 3 cylinder 1 Ltr petrol with a turbo, should be good in a Fiesta size car but may be a bit small for a Focus and above, I like my 1.8 petrol, nice and simple compared to “petrol turbos” or “diesels” and it’s a Mazda design engine, so it should be reliable, sadly no longer used by Ford.

I’m sure you will get loads of good advice from other users of the forum, and there experiences and opinions of different engines. Doing lots of research before you make your mind up pays off. <_<

If we are going way from Ford..tut tut to me, then by far the best diesel engine out their is the VW/Audi V10 with several Le-man wins behind their belts and in the Toureg they pull like a shire horse..trouble is at £800per injector if you have to replace 10 then you aint going to get much change out of a new small hatchbck price.

As for 4 cylinder diesels then its a hard choice,with any diesel engine look after it and it will look after you, all these manufacturers putting extended times and 20k between servicing isnt great especially for a diesel..change the oil & filter every 3-5k then you will certainly out live any petrol engine out there.

With petrol engines staying away from ford then Honda must be very near the top with Mazda's rotory/wankel engine coming dead bottom.

Yeah definitely liking the sounds of the new engines. I just want to see what else is out there as i've been thinking of flying the nest later in the year (hopefully) and trying to work out all the costs etc! Considering i do near enough 30 miles a day its just trying to stop that dreaded petrol light coming on. Even my boyfriend said my zetec s is a wee guzzler compared to his car and he has a 2.0 audi! is that down to the fact that he has 6 gears with low revs and mine with 5 revving at 3500 doing 60mph? :unsure:

If we are going way from Ford..tut tut to me, then by far the best diesel engine out their is the VW/Audi V10 with several Le-man wins behind their belts and in the Toureg they pull like a shire horse..trouble is at £800per injector if you have to replace 10 then you aint going to get much change out of a new small hatchbck price.

As for 4 cylinder diesels then its a hard choice,with any diesel engine look after it and it will look after you, all these manufacturers putting extended times and 20k between servicing isnt great especially for a diesel..change the oil & filter every 3-5k then you will certainly out live any petrol engine out there.

With petrol engines staying away from ford then Honda must be very near the top with Mazda's rotory/wankel engine coming dead bottom.

Dont worry i'll try hang on to my lil ford as long as i can! ^_^ Haha, i wish i could afford something like a V10! Well i can look after my wee petrol engine, but after reading that post on the DPF it's kind of scared me away as i don't do that much miles to really need a diesel. Nor would i be able to afford the price of £800 per injector :blink:

Will definitely have to take a really good looking economical yet nippy car to change from my fordy!

I had a diesel car in 1986, a Peugeot 305 GLD estate. In those days I filled her up where the lorries filled up. I then changed to a Citroen BX 1.9 diesel which was a delight to drive despite no turbo or power steering. Next the pick of the crop a Citroen ZX 1.9 TD by far the best and easiest to work on of 'em all and ALL my diesels were proper mechanical diesels, the way they were designed to be. Steer well clear of modern diesels with the particle filter where you have to give the little engine a Good Thrashing to clean out the filter, seems to defeat the whole eco idea. Petrol rules OK!

I had a diesel car in 1986, a Peugeot 305 GLD estate. In those days I filled her up where the lorries filled up. I then changed to a Citroen BX 1.9 diesel which was a delight to drive despite no turbo or power steering. Next the pick of the crop a Citroen ZX 1.9 TD by far the best and easiest to work on of 'em all and ALL my diesels were proper mechanical diesels, the way they were designed to be. Steer well clear of modern diesels with the particle filter where you have to give the little engine a Good Thrashing to clean out the filter, seems to defeat the whole eco idea. Petrol rules OK!

Yeah I think I might just stick with a petrol seen as I can still get a good 35mpg which isn't too bad! Fair enough there may be good diesels out there but I think a petrol will do me fine for now. :)

Our new Ford Ka does over 60mpg without really trying. Mind you our family is all grown up and just me and Mrs to transport about. Now we are retired we will be using the Ka for mainly pleasure. Picked the new Ka up today and its a good un!

Our new Ford Ka does over 60mpg without really trying. Mind you our family is all grown up and just me and Mrs to transport about. Now we are retired we will be using the Ka for mainly pleasure. Picked the new Ka up today and its a good un!

Enjoy your new toy, there is nothing better than a new car! :rolleyes:

ndsussex, I agree and after working every day year in year out since 1963 and now just retired it was worth it.

ndsussex, I agree and after working every day year in year out since 1963 and now just retired it was worth it.

Enjoy your retirement, it could be the best years of your life, and you have earned it. :)

Wish i could retire, Would be nice to have time to do things i enjoy while i'm still young enough to do them. ;)

Wow, 60mpg from a wee ka? Definitely sounds like a great car! Hope you enjoy your new car and your retirement! Seems like you're already enjoying it though! :)

Yes we now go for rides in our Ka for pleasure when all you lot are at work. Next week we are exploring the north Norfolk coast for something to do. Had 75mpg showing on the computer today at 55mph on the flat!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club