Do Not Sell My Personal Information

is this the timing belt

smedley

if you have not removed any covers then thats not the cambelt. Thats the belt that drives the alternator and power steering pump. fan belt in the old days.

no i have not removed any covers at all...so where is the cambelt located is it nearby.?

It is behind the pictured pullys under the plastic cover.

PLEASE get a haynes manual before attempting the belt change :)

It is behind the pictured pullys under the plastic cover.

PLEASE get a haynes manual before attempting the belt change :)

seconded!

that picture is the drive belt for the waterpump, power steering pump and alternator.

Will do, is it the green manual i need, its a P REG GHIA AUTO....

yup its a green manual, number 3397. it covers from N to 02 registrations.

thank you..

how much should the job be at a garage, and what should i ask to be changed, just the belt itself.?

when was the actual timing belt last done? it may be near its time for replacing too. generally a good rule of thumb is to replace the alternator belt at the same time as its never a good idea to put an old belt back on. if its been a while since the timing belt was done you may be risking your engine.

The alternator belt itself will be around £10-£15 plus maybe half an hour labour.

How badly is it cracked? if its just tiny little cracks, providing they dont run parallel with the grooves it should be fine as the belts tend to crack under normal conditions anyway.

when was the actual timing belt last done? it may be near its time for replacing too. generally a good rule of thumb is to replace the alternator belt at the same time as its never a good idea to put an old belt back on. if its been a while since the timing belt was done you may be risking your engine.

The alternator belt itself will be around £10-£15 plus maybe half an hour labour.

How badly is it cracked? if its just tiny little cracks, providing they dont run parallel with the grooves it should be fine as the belts tend to crack under normal conditions anyway.

ok thanks..i have had the car 2 years, its now over 10 years old, done 53 thousand miles, no idea if previous owners had it changed, i doubt it tho, how much for the timing belt at a decent garage, for the whole job..

ok thanks..i have had the car 2 years, its now over 10 years old, done 53 thousand miles, no idea if previous owners had it changed, i doubt it tho, how much for the timing belt at a decent garage, for the whole job..

petrol or diesel engine?

not sure about diesel engine off hand but petrol engines are 100k miles or 10 years, whatever comes soon. personally i think thats too long.

The price i quoted in your other thread (£200 - £250 i think) was how much it costs on a 51 plate 1.6 focus. that price included timing belt kit and also the alternator belt. it would have cost £210 but the belt from ford was a cost of £40!

PETROL Engine,

The car was reg in 97, so basically its over 10 years old. only done 53k miles, i guess the timing belt is ready for renewal then.?

PETROL Engine,

The car was reg in 97, so basically its over 10 years old. only done 53k miles, i guess the timing belt is ready for renewal then.?

yup im afraid so. better to get it done really, could be hard to say how much it would cost to repair the damage should the belt fail

hard to say how much it would cost to repair the damage should the belt fail

Zetec lumps are going for around 200 on egay at the moment, so long as your confident enough to fit it :) Way cheaper than having a mechanic stick a new set of valves in!

But cheaper still to change the belt if in doubt!

pity no-one has done a good quality "you-tube" tutorial, on the fiesta timing belt...

i would do one if i knew how to change it, but i dont...

does anyone know of one thats been done.?

pity no-one has done a good quality "you-tube" tutorial, on the fiesta timing belt...

i would do one if i knew how to change it, but i dont...

does anyone know of one thats been done.?

If you're not 100% sure how to do it dont even attempt it!!!! Seriously the damage you could cause if you do it wrong could mean a new engine time. Pay someone who does know how to do it. A cambelt kit is around £50 from Ford which includes a new tensioner which I'd ALWAYS advise you to change too. Then at most a couple of hours labour to fit it.

Where abouts are you in the UK? Im in Yate, near Bristol.

Im bunging a belt on this focus i just bought the other day, if your close and want to come over and watch you're welcome to. Alternatively, ill bung you one on for less than a dealer will charge, but i want to do mine first as ive never done a ford one before :)

And the belt kit for mine came in at 80 quid!!

but i want to do mine first as ive never done a ford one before :)

If yours is the same as mine the engine mount has to come off to get the belt cover off.

If yours is the same as mine the engine mount has to come off to get the belt cover off.

Yep, ive seen that. Was the same when i did the chain on my old Transit! Ford designers should be shot!

Oopsie, sorry, forgot where i was for a minute :P

We aint designer mate, we just put right what Ford designers either did wrong or missed off ^_^

lol, i know i was only jesting.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club