Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lack Of Power On My 2.0 Tdci Estate

blueboy1905

Hi all, just found this site, have just bought a second hand Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Estate, high mileage (177K) but it was all I could afford after a garage c***ed up my Octavia (changed cambelt then 2 weeks later engine seized after adjuter came loose - " not our fault, in other words try proving it), anyway this Mondeo runs smoothly & is overall a nice car but it doesn't seem to have any oomph in it after my 1.9 TDi Octavia, I don't want a racing car as I'm in my fifties & just want a reliable diesel for my 50 mile each way daily motorway commute, but is this normal, I put my foot down & it's very slow to respond & it also very occasionally seems to lose power too quickly when I slow down. Any help would be much appreciated & if it needs fixing at all, how much as I am not mechanically minded although I do know a very good (but expensive) mechanic.

P.S. I have also already got what seems to be a common problem in that the driver's door won't unlock with the remote but will with the key, not a major issue admittedly but I'm starting to worry that I might have some big bills coming up.

All the best to all of you

Hi,

I suggest trying an additive called BG244 to clean out your engine and maybe a full service.

Concerning the lock problem, I'd have the door solenoid looked at as it's probably corroded or gummed up.

Thanks a lot Stoney, I'll try that next time I fill up & post how it goes, The lock is not a major problem at the moment just a bit of a niggle, I'll probably get my mechanic to look at it next time I have anything else done. Once again, thanks a lot.

Hi to all again, Special thanks to Clive for his tip, I've added the BG244 & there is a definite improvement although I've still got the feeling that it's not quite right yet. My MPG has improved & the acceleration is better once I'm up to speed on the motorway but it still seems to be a bit slow in the lower gears, there is a sort of "whooshing" noise when I accelerate ( a bit like there is a strong wind outside the car) but as I say once I'm up to speed it seems to accelerate ok although the sound is still there, strangely I seem to get better MPG at 80mph than at 55mph.

Oops!! Did I say 80 mph, obviously I meant 70mph.

Special thanks to Clive for his tip

You're welcome anytime mate. :)

strangely I seem to get better MPG at 80mph than at 55mph.

Oops!! Did I say 80 mph, obviously I meant 70mph.

I thought that was what you meant ;)

May be worth checking if any of the pipework to/from the turbo is squashing under pressure.

Sounds like the pipe has come off the Turbo or is leaking, have a look at the righthand side of the engine (as you are looking at it ) low down there is a large diameter pipe going on to a metal pipe that could be part of your problem

also check the intercooler pipe for splits,its the large pipe on the bottom of the egr valve,its a common problem on the tdci.

Once again, thanks a lot guys, haven't had a chance to check anything yet but you've given me something to look at when the weather is a bit more co-operative.

• 2 months later...

Hi again all, apologies for not updating sooner, just had a hernia op & wasn't driving for 6 weeks. pleased to say that this is now fixed & it was indeed a hole in the turbo pipe, £92 to my mechanic & an unbelievable difference, the acceleration is amazing now (pushed back in your seat type !!!), can't believe it, I've had a few TDi 2.0 before but none of them had that sort of acceleration. A big thanks & well done to everyone for spotting the problem. Strangely even the door lock problem has sort of fixed itself, it now works most of the time but doesn't seem to like it when it's raining, but I can live with that for now. All the best to all.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club