#1 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus Mk1.5 Estate 1.8 TDCi Ghia

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

The car is a 03-plate 1.8TDCi 115ps estate with 86K on the clock. It went in for it's service yesterday and I asked them to check out a problem with starting on cold mornings. They reckon several glow plugs are u/s and have quoted £189 to replace the set. I Googled glow plugs and found several traders offering them at around £9 each, so -

Is £189 a reasonable price for the job, assuming they'd be fitting OEM items?

I've considered trying to do the job myself but the Haynes manual says access is poor and recommends removing the injector pipework but I don't fancy doing that so how difficult would it be to do it without disturbing the pipework?

How likely is it that they're siezed in and I'll break one or more trying to get them out?

Is there a downside to using after-market items?

All opinions welcomed.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Zetec Climate 1.8 TDCi
  • Year: 2006

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

To be honest, I would have thought its much like changing a set of plugs. Access wouldnt be too different on the Mk2 focus, as I think the 1.8 is essentially the same engine, and according to haynes, all you have to do, is remove the dipstick tube, but on looking at mine, I think you could get away with not doing that. in my personal view, I feel £189 is a bit steep. You can probably get 4 plugs for around 30-50 quid.

#3 Pitmonster

Pitmonster

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: 2006 Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec (Climate)

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

189 is an absolute freakin' rip off!

Genuine Ford OEM glow plugs for a 1.8 TDCi will cost around 40 for a set of 4.
See here :
http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/
(link was on the homepage of my local Ford main dealer btw, so we can be confident that these are genuine)

So if the parts cost 40, what is the extra 150-odd for in that quote?

Any decent garage can do the job in about 30 minutes, it's just whacking on a socket, unscrewing & removing the old plug. And !Removed! in the new plug. Just like changing spark plugs, as has been mentioned.

Even if it takes an hour, that's still only 40 at an independent garage, plus 40 for the plugs themselves. Total cost 80 all in.

That'll save you more than 100 over what you've been quoted.

#4 Pitmonster

Pitmonster

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Ford OEM glow plug @ 7.87 incl VAT
http://www.forddirec...glow-plugs.html

#5 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the link Dave. I've bookmarked that. As soon as I can prise the missus away from the car I'll whip the engine cover off and take a look. I did try to look at them a couple of years back when I was going to try to disconnect the leads and do resistance checks on them but I seem to remember that I found it too difficult to get to the terminals. Maybe I'll just tout around a few independants to find one who'll do it at a more reasonable price.

One of the websites I was looking at suggested that the thread and shaft of the plug should be coated with a special grease before fitting. Anyone know if this is correct?

#6 Pitmonster

Pitmonster

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Most likely copper grease, a little smear on the threads.

It's very heat-resistant and is used to ensure that you are able to remove something later on, after it's been subjected to great heat (i.e. it prevents seizing, rather than lubricates moving parts).

Commonly used on the rear face of a brake disc (the parts that mates with the hub) or the rear of brake pads (not the friction surface itself).

Available from Halfords or good motor factors, but if you are getting a garage to do the job for you they'll have some.

#7 jay1981

jay1981

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

The glow plug on these are easy to change. Remove the engine cover and the air deflector (above the intercooler). You could also remove the intercooler and turbo pipes to give you more room.

Yes it is a good idea to give the threads a small coating of copper slip grease.

#8 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thanks again. I wondered if copper grease would do. I already have some of that for use, as you say, between disc and hub and on the backs of pads.

Thanks also for the access tip James. I might be able to take a look this afternoon, though I first need to look at the N/S/F suspension strut as they said the bracket supporting the brake hose is "insecure".

#9 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I found that the brake hose bracket had come adrift from the strut. Typically it had only been attached by three small spot welds. Corrosion had built up between the bracket and strut and the welds failed. I was going to reattach it using a jubilee clip but hadn't got one the right size so I ended up using a couple of heavy-duty cable ties. That's saved about £130 quoted for changing the strut!

After I'd finished that job I took off the intercooler which turned out to be a lot easier than I expected. I could then see three of the glow plugs but to get at the fourth I'd need to also remove the dipstick tube. Still, it looks as if it shouldn't be too difficult so I'm going to order a set and give it a go.

The intercooler was badly clogged up with dirt and fluff and even a few very small stones! When I started to clean it I quickly discovered that the fins are very fragile. I could have done with a compressed air line but, not having access to one, I managed to flush most of it out with a suitable nozzle on my garden hose. That must have improved its efficiency somewhat. You'd think the service schedules would include periodic cleaning since the air passages are very small and easily blocked.

#10 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Well, I finally got round to changing the glow plugs. The job wasn't as difficult as I'd feared. I did have to buy a set of long sockets as I hadn't any long enough to go over the terminal. I discovered the dipstick tube is flexible so after removing one bolt I was able to tie it out of the way. I had no problems getting the old ones out, the fiddliest part was dealing with the wire and tags. Then I found I hadn't got a 1/4" to 1/2" adaptor to allow me to use my torque wrench so I had to nip the new ones up by hand.

I tested the old ones and found all four were mullered, three were open-circuit and the fourth was high-resistance. I eventually bought a set of non-OEM ones for £37 inc vat and carriage. Hopefully starting will be a bit easier this winter. The engine's only just coming up to 90,000. It would be interesting to know what the life expectancy of a set of glow plugs is.

#11 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,203 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

they tend to be around the 70k mark from diesels ive had but it varies the price qouted was a rip off its a fairly easy job as u found out

#12 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

This set should last me out then :)

That particular company's prices have been getting steeper in recent years, Up to now I've used them because they were, until recently, a Ford franchise so had Ford-trained fitters but I'll be using a small independant from now on for the annual service and MOT.

The thing I was most worried about was one or more of the old plugs breaking off in the head but they all came out easily and cleanly (whew!). The other worry was dropping something which would lodge on the undertray. At my age I really don't want to be lying underneath the ruddy thing! :huh:

#13 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,203 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

i always lagered the plugs in wd40 and let it do its job while i had a cuppa then went out that way i knew they would come out easy a dab of copper grease on the threads and youre sure they wont stick its amazing how many garages dont do that one simple thing

#14 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

I was more worried a tip might break off. I've never seen a diesel head so I have no idea what the hole for the glow plug looks like or how much of the tip is visible in the combustion chamber. I applied copper grease to the thread and all the way down the body and the element to within about 1/2" of the tip so I hope that is ok. Hopefully they won't need to come out again whilst I've got the car anyway.

#15 rivnog

rivnog

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: nathan
  • Ford Model: focus tdci 115 estate
  • Year: 2002

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

just changed my glow plugs.

A lot easier than i thought

Job done within an hour, remove the intercooler and dripstick holder and away you go.

total cost £41

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users