Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slow Moving Steering Noise (Rubbing)

soulman123

Mk 1.5 ff 1.8 04 petrol 50k

Hey all :)

Bit of an odd problem basically when I reverse into a bay slowly moving the steering wheel there is this kind of best described as a rubbing noise like rubber..

Also if stationary I tried moving the steetin wheel a quarter turn and it makes the same noise.

Hopefully I have not been too vague in describing thid.

Any ideas what it might be or the likely suspects ?

On a brighter note it passed its mot last week with 2 advisories. Rear trailing arm bushes perished but not causing excessive movement.

thanks for any help *thumbs up*

have you got mud flaps fitted ? could be catching on lock

Hi stoney,

Thanks for the post.

I do have mud flaps. I have had a look and are not rubbing.

Usually there is no full turning when I park, mainly drive in to bays but I do reverse in for a speedy exit.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the drop links.

It could be the Aux / steering pump belt needs adjusting.

This thread seems to be running in two places. <_<

spray the rubbers top and bottom both sides of the drop links and wait 5 mins then try again if the noise goes you have youre answer

spray the rubbers top and bottom both sides of the drop links and wait 5 mins then try again if the noise goes you have youre answer

WD40? <_<

yeah meant to write that just off a niteshift been up 20hrs going to bed

Apologies for the double I clicked post twice as it didn't seem to be doing anything or my impatience after a hard day.

I'll give the wd40 a go. I hope the if it is them I can easily change them, I have a basic tool kit, trolley jack, stands, sockets the core essentials.

It did just pass it mot but I know drop links can be hard to diagnose unless you take them off and check movement.

Interestingly the drivers side was changed when I got the car so I guess the suspect side would be the passenger side. Unless they used a cheap part on the drivers side which could have failed. I think under the rubber is a balljoint which should be fairly stiff if its floppy its done.

I hope it is that. Not sure of the procedure to take off but on previous cars it was just 2 nuts and off it comes.

Thanks for the help :)

Standard procedure is to change both sides at the same time, it keeps everything nice and equal.

Ahh I guess the forecourt I got it for decided to be cheap.

A likely suspect seeing as the drivers side failed, I bet the passenger side was mot far behind.

That will be my first port of call.

When I get in ill get the Haynes out to see what's involved.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club