Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting A Dimmer Switch To A Mk2/2.5 Focus

Stoney871

This is a guide to fitting a Light Switch unit with a dimmer dial to Ford Focus without one as factory fitted.

The part used came from a C-Max MK5 PART NUMBER-4M5T13A024BA

01.jpg

02.jpg

Undo the T25 Torx and pull off the panel to the door side of the drivers area.

03.jpg

Unplug the ODB port from the panel so as to avoid damaging the wiring (needs 3 hands really to push 2 metal clips and pull the Port clear)

04.jpg

05.jpg

I found it was easier to reach the locating clips of the light unit from the gap at the side and had to push, pull and wiggle the unit to get it out, finally pulled forward and down to unlocate the top one first then got the bottom one clear.

11.jpg

Unplug the cable loom from the old unit.

07.jpg

Check the units are the same size and the plugs are the same.

06.jpg

Attach the new unit and test the lights, dimmer and levellers.

08.jpg

Push the new unit into place (takes a bit of a push).

09.jpg

Relocate the ODB port into the trim and refit to dash.

10.jpg

Replace the torx and Roberts's your Mothers Brother.

Another nice Guide Mate, B)

Now i've broken my duck (so to speak) i thought i'd keep going. ;)

• 8 months later...

I decided to follow the guide, so i bought a part a 2006 Mondeo. That part also has auto headlights.

The part will not fit my car because it is a bit larger, however all the switches and the dim was working fine.

I am going to get another part that will fit my car, but i was wondering if i should go again for the auto headlights. Has anyone tried to install those? I assume i'm gonna need the auto rear view mirror with the sensors. I might go for auto wipers too.

Is it as easy as it sounds or am i missing something?

• 8 months later...

I believe after digging through microcat that the Finis code is 1471868 (listed as switch assy - lighting, dimmer, rhd, with automatic headlamp control)

ah poo...just realised that had auto switch function haha...my bad...i thought it was a bit odd loads came up on eBay lol

• Like 1

ah poo...just realised that had auto switch function haha...my bad...i thought it was a bit odd loads came up on ebay lol

School boy error john, we forgive you :lol:

• Like 1

i was too excited when i seen them...must stop looking at car parts for satisfaction XD

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just done this mod which was very easy thanks to your how to but the switch I got lights up green which is no good to me as the rest of my dash lights red. My car is 57 plate mk2.

The eBay ad said FORD FOCUS, C-MAX 2004-2009 HEADLIGHT SWITCH, PARTS Nr. 4M5T 13A024 BA.

Do you know the part number for the switch that lights up red?

• Like 1

All switches come with green illumination as standard but there is a seller on eBay that does converted ones.

I had to request a blue illuminated unit off him, maybe you could ask him for what you are after.

He's not cheap but the work is good-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/carparts4you2011

• Like 1

I thought it was early mk2's that come with green illumination and red just before the mk2.5's? Mines red as standard!

Funny you should mention that seller as I asked him just before you replied and he said he could do it for £14.95 so happy days.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Managed to pick one up with an auto on it too, in anticipation for the rear view mirror upgrade!

Popped it in without probs using the guide, thank you very much! and was able to safely leave the OBD socket in place which saved some hassle, ive had a wee look though MOT guides and I don't think having an inoperative light switch position will be a problem as long as both front and rear lights turn on, only down side is its Green!! thought id been so careful checking for it but oh well, if I can be bothered ill change the SMDs to red ones one day.

Thanks folks!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

How much brighter does the gauges go compared to when the car was stock without the dimmer control?

The lights only go up to standard brightness but wilk go down low enough to make night driving far more comfortable on dark roads.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Thanks for that. Do you know what wire controls the dimmer? I am trying to get my aftermarket gauges to the same brightness as main speedo

Here you go, a full switch pinout configuration.

MK2 HL Switch Pinout.jpg

The way I read it is that you have a dimmer switched headlight controller already and just want to figure out which wire to tap into for the guages?

If so then you need to tap onto the wire from pin 9.

Havent yet brought a dimmer control switch yet but thinking about it. I have a dim lighting wire from the gauge but was unsure where to connect to. The gauge is bright at night compared with the usual speedo lighting.

• 3 months later...

I have a dimmer switch from my old Mark 1.5 ghia. Will this be compatible with my mark 2. 

Also on etis it says my car has auto headlamps but not With Automatic Headlamp On/Off. I believe this means the wiring is in place but was not a added option. If I but a switch with auto lights option on it will this work?

Cheers

Not sure I want to take the chance with the auto lights. Knowing my luck I will have no wiring in place and have a switch with auto on taunting me lol

• 2 years later...

Doesn't anyone know if this switch will work on a 2010 mk2.5?