#1 jdm_man

jdm_man

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: cian
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

I am thinking of buying a diesel car and i was quite interested in the focus. but is the 1.6 tdci engine a good engine or is it slugish and really under powered? is there much of a difference in the 1.8tdci. all comments welcome!!!! ;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual
  • Year: 2009

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

If you are thinking of getting a diesel, make sure you do enough motorway miles to look after the DPF. Lots of posts on the subject, do the research first before deciding. :mellow:

#3 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,415 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

I agree with Stormin.
If you do decide on a diesel then the 1.8 is a better choice in my personal view.
It's bombproof.

#4 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

I have a 1.6tdci here , its a fine car , very punchy , dont expect to zoom away from traffic lights as its a diesel but its great on the motorways and has plenty for overtaking!

Mine also has the DPF , no problems here , still think this is not as big a problem as the internet would make you believe. they can get problems but so can a lot of other things on cars.

#5 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 1.6 TDCi Zetec
  • Year: 2008

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Owned a 1.6 TDCi for almost a year now. 1.8 TDCi didn't make sense IMO, only 5 extra horsepower, and from what I read the 1.6 is a newer generation of engine. Plus the insanely low tax on the 1.6.

Defo read up on the DPF, and it's drawbacks, although of course not all 1.6 TDCi engines have a DPF. As mentioned in another post, I'm set to do just shy of 10,000 miles in my first year, with many short journeys, and I've not had any issues so far, although it does go on the motorway often.

Edit: Forgot to say, it's plenty quick for me, although I did comefrom a 1.2 16v Corsa! Can feel a bit sluggish around town compared to my other half's 1.2 Polo, but on the motorway it's a pleasure.

#6 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,255 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

I have a 1.6tdci almost two years now, ive had it since new and it has never let me down its a 90bhp model top speed limited to 175kmh which is fast enough for me and the tourque is brilliant,
but if i was buying again id purchase the 1.8TDCi because it doesnt have a DPF as far as i am aware and its a ford engine instead of a citroen/Peugeot engine's that is the 1.6 and the 2.0 engines,
very economical though getting 890km on a 55ltr tank of juice and easy to modify if you that way enclined too.

#7 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

I've been looking for a focus for a while now, and very nearly plumped for the 1.6 tdci, I'm sure many people have these without problems but I'm glad I did my homework before putting down a deposit..... It's very well documented that there is a serious problem with the turbos on the 1.6 tdci, which is a very expensive fix, something to do with the oil scorching inside the engine due to an injector fault, then this oil harden's and blocks oil feed pipes thus starving the turbo of oil.... Then the wallet becomes a hell of alot lighter !!! From what I've read, this problem seems to have been fixed from 08 models onwards. Then there is the DPF,, if this does go wrong then its the same story, very expensive. And as for 'cheap tax' it only costs 20 a year more to tax the 1.8 tdci, which also has NO DPF fitted, and one of the most proven engines to come out of Ford.
This is a personal opinion, and in no way meant to offend anyone but my choice would be the 1.8, even the reviews I've read all seem to lean towards this being the best of the bunch. Do some homework before taking the plunge, it could prove very useful.

#8 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I've been looking for a focus for a while now, and very nearly plumped for the 1.6 tdci, I'm sure many people have these without problems but I'm glad I did my homework before putting down a deposit..... It's very well documented that there is a serious problem with the turbos on the 1.6 tdci, which is a very expensive fix, something to do with the oil scorching inside the engine due to an injector fault, then this oil harden's and blocks oil feed pipes thus starving the turbo of oil.... Then the wallet becomes a hell of alot lighter !!! From what I've read, this problem seems to have been fixed from 08 models onwards. Then there is the DPF,, if this does go wrong then its the same story, very expensive. And as for 'cheap tax' it only costs £20 a year more to tax the 1.8 tdci, which also has NO DPF fitted, and one of the most proven engines to come out of Ford.
This is a personal opinion, and in no way meant to offend anyone but my choice would be the 1.8, even the reviews I've read all seem to lean towards this being the best of the bunch. Do some homework before taking the plunge, it could prove very useful.

Good advice, Ill second that.

#9 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 1.6 TDCi Zetec

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

And as for 'cheap tax' it only costs £20 a year more to tax the 1.8 tdci

The next tax band up from 'C', which is £30 is 'D' which is £100. Am I missing something here?

http://www.direct.go...cle/DG_10012524

#10 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Zetec Climate 1.8 TDCi
  • Year: 2006

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

The 1.8tdci engine is noted for being bombproof, and all mechanics I have spoken to say its far and away the easiest of the ford diesels to work on. It may only be 8v rather than 16v, but it pulls well, and have the power when its needed. its based on a tried and tested ford design. Not dissin the 1.6, just personal opinion of owning one. If you do motorway miles, the ecomony is excellent, I get around 60ish MPG from mine. Also it has NO DPF :) :) .
Road tax is £120, as its in Band E, the 1.6 is £100 in band D

#11 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Road tax is £120, as its in Band E, the 1.6 is £100 in band D

According to the spec info on the auto trader, the 1.6 tdci is a tax band 'D' which is £100, and a 1.8 tdci is a tax band 'E' which is £120. And both 1.6tdci's ive looked at were £100 to tax,,,, (well they were actually £90) but that was just before good old Mr Osbourne had his little budget !!!

Ps, sorry Chris, I didn't notice your post before I submitted mine :blink:

#12 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have a 1.6tdci almost two years now, ive had it since new and it has never let me down its a 90bhp model top speed limited to 175kmh which is fast enough for me and the tourque is brilliant,
but if i was buying again id purchase the 1.8TDCi because it doesnt have a DPF as far as i am aware and its a ford engine instead of a citroen/Peugeot engine's that is the 1.6 and the 2.0 engines,
very economical though getting 890km on a 55ltr tank of juice and easy to modify if you that way enclined too.

Hi Lenny

How can I tell where my 1.6tdci was built as its seems its a joint venture between Fords and Citreoen/Peugeot and that Ford's Dagenham Engine plant also make a lot of the engines there?

cheers

#13 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Mitch, as far as I am aware as stated earlier in this post the engines in the 1.6 & 2.0ltr models are mainly french made, ie Citreoen/Peugeot, with ford buying the engines they need and adding their own bits to them. Pretty much the same was as with the x-type jag, that is a mondeo engine with some jag internals just so they can say its their own....... Alot of manufacturers do it..... if you were to own a focus ST, the engine fitted in that would be lifted from a VOLVO, etc etc, the list goes on and on lol.

#14 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Mitch, as far as I am aware as stated earlier in this post the engines in the 1.6 & 2.0ltr models are mainly french made, ie Citreoen/Peugeot, with ford buying the engines they need and adding their own bits to them. Pretty much the same was as with the x-type jag, that is a mondeo engine with some jag internals just so they can say its their own....... Alot of manufacturers do it..... if you were to own a focus ST, the engine fitted in that would be lifted from a VOLVO, etc etc, the list goes on and on lol.

One to add to that list, the 1.8 petrol, it is a "Mazda MZR" designed engine, built by Ford in their Spanish engine plant, this engine is also fitted in the Mazda MX5 and Mazda 3 cars. :blink:

#15 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,255 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hi Lenny

How can I tell where my 1.6tdci was built as its seems its a joint venture between Fords and Citreoen/Peugeot and that Ford's Dagenham Engine plant also make a lot of the engines there?

cheers

im not sure how you would find that info mate,
perhaps ford etis may give some further model specific info regarding your indivdual model
http://www.etis.ford...eRegSelector.do

just put in your reg and it will tell you the build date etc.
but in general ford use the same 1.6tdci and 2.0tdci engines as citroen/peugeot to all walk togeather in the line of low emissions,
less competition and everyone is a winner when it comes to the figures.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users