Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Nigel S

Fitting Mk2.5 Rear Lights To A Mk2 Focus (Inc. Rs/st Dual Red Mod)

30 posts in this topic

Hi Lenny.

I'm gonna fit the lights this weekend work permitting but I just wondered. Did you fit LED bulbs for your indicators or brakes lights before fitting?

I'm not sure there are any but it would be nice to do now with the LED sides already in.

hi mate,

No i didn't fit any LED because red led isn't very noticeable during the day, my fear was that my brakes wouldn't be noticed however the Genuine ford premium tail light units have a single filament brake light.

Compared to the standard tail light units that have a dual filament stop&tail bulb,

Some led tail light bulbs also require load resistors because the run on a lower voltage,

Ideally some Cree red led with silver casings would do nicely as they have built in load resistors.

Now for led indicators

In short mate these ain't gonna work,

I've fitted silvatec indicator bulbs instead,

The led will flash like a strobe when fitted as an indicator,

The only way around this is to upgrade all indicator to led and fit an adjustable flash relay,

Where using a Philips head screwdriver on the adjustable relay box, you can adjust the flash rate,

But since the focus is CanBus technology: the flash rate is controlled by the GEM there's no relay that can be swapped out,

The only way to alter the flash rate is via diagnostics following the modified ELM327 guide which will give you access to such perimeters.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/

blueovalboy likes this

Hi mate. Thanks again for your help. I understand what you are saying with regards to the can bus system and gem module. I think I will get the silvatec bulbs as you did. I have just bought the elm 327 cable but I have only used it to clear the mil light from my decat until I can get a sports cat or remap so I don't think I'm confident enough in doing anything else tbh.

Thanks again for your advice mate. I appreciate it.

Lenny likes this

Hi mate. Thanks again for your help. I understand what you are saying with regards to the can bus system and gem module. I think I will get the silvatec bulbs as you did. I have just bought the elm 327 cable but I have only used it to clear the mil light from my decat until I can get a sports cat or remap so I don't think I'm confident enough in doing anything else tbh.

Thanks again for your advice mate. I appreciate it.

no prob,

and altering the settings is ok aslong as you keep screen shots of the default settings

I would like to have a go at fitting the leds into my rear lights. My car is a mk2.5 so not sure which wires to connect the leds to because they are all the same colour& i already have the clear light clusters.

Also what the going price for the original st lights just to plug straight in.

Lenny likes this

I would like to have a go at fitting the leds into my rear lights. My car is a mk2.5 so not sure which wires to connect the leds to because they are all the same colour& i already have the clear light clusters.

Also what the going price for the original st lights just to plug straight in.

Preee has created a guide in the guides section of the forum showing how to fit SMD strips in to standard facelift units,

Ive created a guide on fitting RS tail lights to mk2.5 they cost £280 per set from sandicliffe.co.uk

Built to order by ford however cheaper to purchase via sandicliffe than through local ford stealership

RS tail light fitting guide:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43587-guide-fitting-ford-rs-led-rear-light-units-focus-mk25/

Led SMD strip Guide:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/28999-guide-for-fitting-daytime-running-lights-focus-mk25/page-3