Show
Photo

Fitting Mk2.5 Rear Lights To A Mk2 Focus (Inc. Rs/st Dual Red Mod)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,453 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

Cheers for the info Lenny. Excellent breakdown. Am I right in thinking there is 3 connections to the led part?
I only took them out the box, quick check to make sure they wasn't cracked n put them back in.
I currently have the original half red half white on there n they have been tinted with spray professionally n look good but I rather the led look but not sure whether to leave them all white or tint them.
CheeRs again.

no prob,
Yeah mate three brown cables to the led section,
I see your fitting to a mk2 model, so the loom will need wiring,
If i was you,
Id find a mk2.5 thats breaking either local or on ebay,
Get the tail light loom sockets with some loom cut out of the mk2.5

Then cut the plug section off your existing lights and make a male mk2 to female mk2.5 loom,
You can then plug the mk2.5 tail lights straight in to mk2.5 sockets without trying to figure out the additional led cables since all three are brown.
Just an idea mate,

I saw this RS had tint film applied and i reckon the film gives it a nice gloss black sorta shine,
But given the cost of the units i was sceptical about altering them encase it didnt workout rite,

Ford-Focus-RS-Green-Tail-Light-Tinting-R

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 blueovalboy

blueovalboy

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Name: Scott
  • Ford Model: Focus ST3
  • Year: 2007

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

Ahh right. I c what u mean now. As the 3 brown cables that go to the LED part r part of the new loom I have bought, as long as the loom in the car functions through into the new loom the led should work.
Am I understanding u correctly?

I was just gonna match up the live n earths, cut the plug off the new loom n join the cables but I guess it won't work like that.

#18 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,453 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

Ahh right. I c what u mean now. As the 3 brown cables that go to the LED part r part of the new loom I have bought, as long as the loom in the car functions through into the new loom the led should work.
Am I understanding u correctly?
I was just gonna match up the live n earths, cut the plug off the new loom n join the cables but I guess it won't work like that.

yes thats correct mate,
Your idea of cutting and splicing will work fine aswell,
The led brown cables will come as part of the ford loom you purchased,

The only issue was the difference in loom plug/socket between the mk2 and mk2.5 models,
But cutting and splicing will work fine,
The additional brown cables still join in to other cables on the 4 port plug,
It still ends in 4 terminals so easy enough to follow, i was just thinking of a way to connect them without cutting the looms as this would help retain there resale value if you ever decided to sell them onwards,

Perhaps be easiest to cut looms and use crimp terminals,
Plug/socket instead of twist and tape,

IMG_20130803_003810_zps0c9ce2da.jpg

#19 blueovalboy

blueovalboy

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Im liking the look of the tinted lights on the RS pic a lot so i will prob get a light smoke tint and have a go. I have the fly eye tint on the front lights and it looks ok but i think i rather the smooth look.

I see what you are saying about not cutting the loom in case i swap it back to sell but i would prob leave them on if i got the right money and keep the plugs n solder them back on if i didnt.

Thanks for the info and your help mate. No doubt i will be asking you for advice again soon enough lol.

Not fitted the push button start by any chance have you?

Thanks.

#20 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,453 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Im liking the look of the tinted lights on the RS pic a lot so i will prob get a light smoke tint and have a go. I have the fly eye tint on the front lights and it looks ok but i think i rather the smooth look.

I see what you are saying about not cutting the loom in case i swap it back to sell but i would prob leave them on if i got the right money and keep the plugs n solder them back on if i didnt.

Thanks for the info and your help mate. No doubt i will be asking you for advice again soon enough lol.

Not fitted the push button start by any chance have you?

Thanks.

no bother feel free to contact anytime,
Ive nit fitted the push start mate :) i saw a video on youtube from the guys at mightycarmods and decided not to bother :lol:
see there vid below, these guys are epic i highly recommend watching every episode mate there a great laugh,
But i have the haynes manual should you need reference and if your not logged on here using the app,
Click on my avator image to view my profile page,
Ive got links to my 28 modification guides there, some you may find of interest,
The links dont show on the app for some reason.

#21 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,453 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

#22 blueovalboy

blueovalboy

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

I did have the push button start working for a few weeks until the relay decided to give up so i joined the cranking wire back up and used the key again.

Just finding time to have another go at it.

I will check out your mods now mate. Im sure there will be something on there that i fancy doing n you seem to know your stuff so i appreciate your help mate.

Thank you :)

#23 gaztdci90

gaztdci90

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

Ive fitted genuine focus rs rears to my mk2

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

#24 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,453 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

Ive fitted genuine focus rs rears to my mk2
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

well done :)

#25 blueovalboy

blueovalboy

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Hi Lenny.
I'm gonna fit the lights this weekend work permitting but I just wondered. Did you fit LED bulbs for your indicators or brakes lights before fitting?
I'm not sure there are any but it would be nice to do now with the LED sides already in.

#26 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,453 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hi Lenny.
I'm gonna fit the lights this weekend work permitting but I just wondered. Did you fit LED bulbs for your indicators or brakes lights before fitting?
I'm not sure there are any but it would be nice to do now with the LED sides already in.

hi mate,
No i didn't fit any LED because red led isn't very noticeable during the day, my fear was that my brakes wouldn't be noticed however the Genuine ford premium tail light units have a single filament brake light.
Compared to the standard tail light units that have a dual filament stop&tail bulb,

Some led tail light bulbs also require load resistors because the run on a lower voltage,
Ideally some Cree red led with silver casings would do nicely as they have built in load resistors.

Now for led indicators
In short mate these ain't gonna work,
I've fitted silvatec indicator bulbs instead,

The led will flash like a strobe when fitted as an indicator,
The only way around this is to upgrade all indicator to led and fit an adjustable flash relay,
Where using a Philips head screwdriver on the adjustable relay box, you can adjust the flash rate,
But since the focus is CanBus technology: the flash rate is controlled by the GEM there's no relay that can be swapped out,
The only way to alter the flash rate is via diagnostics following the modified ELM327 guide which will give you access to such perimeters.
http://www.fordowner...nd-ff2-program/

#27 blueovalboy

blueovalboy

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hi mate. Thanks again for your help. I understand what you are saying with regards to the can bus system and gem module. I think I will get the silvatec bulbs as you did. I have just bought the elm 327 cable but I have only used it to clear the mil light from my decat until I can get a sports cat or remap so I don't think I'm confident enough in doing anything else tbh.

Thanks again for your advice mate. I appreciate it.

#28 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,453 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hi mate. Thanks again for your help. I understand what you are saying with regards to the can bus system and gem module. I think I will get the silvatec bulbs as you did. I have just bought the elm 327 cable but I have only used it to clear the mil light from my decat until I can get a sports cat or remap so I don't think I'm confident enough in doing anything else tbh.
Thanks again for your advice mate. I appreciate it.

no prob,
and altering the settings is ok aslong as you keep screen shots of the default settings

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users