Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Computer In My Car

lodav2011

I have a car which I got 2nd hand from vospers 1.4 titanium 2009 and first off a full tank it said id get 300 miles to a full tank..... and now just over 3 months on I filled the car up this morning it told me 288 miles to the tank, Yesterday I put £15 in went from callington to plymouth and back with a lil bit of driving around town by time i got back the fuel light was on again. this car seems to just drink fuel and im losing miles like no ones business on the fuel computer to each full tank?

What exactly is your question? The mileage range is accurate if you keep to the same general driving style. If you've been driving it hard then it'll show a lower range, but if you then start driving sensibly you can travel further than the indicated range. I've been shown 290 miles before in mine and then gone on to do 350 miles or so, it just depends how you drive.

i find it !Removed! poor i get 300 miles if that and iv done alot of eco driving due to the kids being in the car. So what im really asking is this rubbish mpg im getting out of my car correct.

Do you know what your average mpg is? I'm getting 45mpg from my 1.6 petrol. There have been a few complaints on here about the lower-sized engines being quite poor on petrol, I think they are too weedy for a car the size of the Fiesta.

The combined mpg figure from Ford for the 2009 1.4 petrol is 42mpg and 31mpg urban driving, so it's probably about right.

Has your motor been serviced in accordance with the service schedule? Has the air filter and plugs been changed? What is the cars mileage? When you are driving without the kids do you not drive with eco in mind? Do you check your tire pressure weekly? All these things add up. Why not have your car diagnostically checked over there may be something sticks out. Usually a diagnostic check will pay for itself.

ITS DONE 21K it was serviced before i picked it up 3 months ago and i replaced the filter for a k&n panel filter and when the kids are not in the car i dont drive it that hard as i cant afford to really i every now and then it does get pushed to its limits but i dont account the crap fuel when i do, ill check the psi of the tires but they have a silly low profile on which makes the car ride super bumpy.

Do you buy Supermarket Fuel? I have had a lot of trouble with these fuels in my motorcycles. I will only buy fuel from branded garages (the cheapest around are found googling the net). The reason supermarket fuel is sold cheap is because they buy whatever is going cheap. Branded fuels have their additives added by the fuel company and they arnt cheap either. Could be this is your problem?

i do use fuel from a tesco but where i live its not worth driving to a bp as it would cost to much so i cant win think im going to have the bully the wife into going diesel.

Have you worked out your mpg by hand rather than by computer?

Assuming slightly less than a full tank (ie The light has just come on) then 288 miles works out at about 34mpg which is a bit low if you are on a run and/or driving gently. It's not terrible is you are driving more quickly.

300 miles from the same tank would be about 35mpg.

What revs do you change gear at? What speed do you drive at on the motorway?

i change gear at around 3 or 4k as my self i feel the car needs it, if i change gear at 2.5k in each gear it takes me for everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to even get to 60mph and iv just worked out using a mpg calculator im getting 35mpg. i wished i looked into this engine more as its pants and so underpowered i had a 1.2 single cam 8v 2010 fiat 500 before this and that held speed better up hills then this thing!

i change gear at around 3 or 4k as my self i feel the car needs it, if i change gear at 2.5k in each gear it takes me for everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to even get to 60mph and iv just worked out using a mpg calculator im getting 35mpg. i wished i looked into this engine more as its pants and so underpowered i had a 1.2 single cam 8v 2010 fiat 500 before this and that held speed better up hills then this thing!

Try and keep your gear changes down towards 3k unless you really need to. Do a search on this site and on Google for economical driving tips too.

The Fiat 500 is smaller car (and therefore lighter by about 200kg) car than a Fiesta which will impact performance when compared like for like. Also an 8-valve engine will dish it's torque out much lower down the rev range than a 16-valve engine. In a 16-valve engine you typically need to give more revs to access the full performance than you would in an 8-valve. The trade off is, of course, that higher revs equal higher fuel usage.

What speed are you doing on hills when the Fiat felt like it was holding it's speed better? You will probably find the gearing is different between the Fiesta and Fiat and that they therefore have speeds at which they prefer to be driven without the need to change up/down.

What sort of MPG were you getting from your Fiat? Fiat quote 58.9mpg combined versus 48.7mpg combined for the Fiesta. That's roughly a 20% drop in fuel consumption based on the manufacturer's figures and without taking into account any need to adjust your driving style to a differently powered/geared car.

ill try keeping it under 3k i do try keeping to 65 to 70mph on the a30 and a38 im going to h waymouth in a few weeks so ill see how it goes going up there. but fords specs are not true my mpg is out the top end they said 105mph who tested that? iv had 125mph if you had room it would of done more

the top end they said 105mph who tested that? iv had 125mph if you had room it would of done more

Hopefully not on Devon roads? :blink:

I'm on the A38 most days and so are my black rat friends in the white hat brigade. :ph34r:

They're not all bright blue and yellow marked cars. ;)

There are a couple of ST in use. <_<

Be safe Louis. :)

What sort of MPG were you getting from your Fiat? Fiat quote 58.9mpg combined versus 48.7mpg combined for the Fiesta. That's roughly a 20% drop in fuel consumption based on the manufacturer's figures and without taking into account any need to adjust your driving style to a differently powered/geared car.

I believe that Ford figure is for the latest 1.4 engine, I think I have an older brochure which quotes the 1.4 engine as 42mpg combined and also shows the 1.6 as the most economical engine. I'm pretty sure that's right as I remember it being one of the reasons I went for the 1.6 in the first place.

Look in your hand book for the max torque rpm and change gear / cruise at around that rpm. Our new Ka has that pokey Fiat 1.2 8 valve engine and its done almost 85 miles now, its a little gem! We are not using the stop/start as we are running it in but are driving normally and changing up when the display tells us and its indicating 55mpg.

I'm on the A38 most days and so are my black rat friends in the white hat brigade. :ph34r:

dakota raceway there was a drag and drift event and i had a whip down the air strip. fastest i have been on the a38 is 80mph tops only for over taking tho

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club