lodav2011

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Name: louis
  • Ford Model: fiesta titanium
  • Year: 2009

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi there when should the cam belt and the water pump be changed?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 DaveD

DaveD

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Ford Ka Edge
  • Year: 2012

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Your cam belt should be changed at the service interval shown in your service schedule. Your dealer will happily tell you though. Your water pump (if driven by your cam belt) needs changing too (if its driven by the cam belt) as this will be stressed by the belt. If your pump is driven by your alternator belt then change it when it squeak's or leaks. Better to change the belt early than too late. Pumps arnt that expensive if you do the job yourself.

#3 Geevx11

Geevx11

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 Petrol
  • Year: 2011

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

On cars I've owned before mostly vw & audis I changed them at about 4 years / 40000 miles with pump. It's usually the rotating parts, (ie) idler bearings and tensioners that wear more than the belt.

#4 tynreich

tynreich

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Cosworth
  • Year: 1998

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hi, a quick scan on google led me to www.mytimingbelt.com - tells you all the intervals for Fords and seems to have all other makes and models too.

IN terms of water pump, that is your call. They are relatively cheap and whilst everything is stripped down you might as well do it. If not, it'll mean paying the labour again to strip it should it develop a fault.

#5 rikernumber1

rikernumber1

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Finesse 2004
Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

I think the mileage values given on the mytimingbelt website are correct, but not the intervals. For example, on my Mk 6 1.25 Fiesta (2004), it's 100K mileage or 10 years, but the website states 8 years - no bad thing as it's a smaller interval, so it won't hurt. In contrast, I checked what it said about my Picasso - 75K mileage, which is correct, but an interval of 10 years, which I'm 99% sure is wrong - I think it's 7 - I had mine done last year on the basis of age, not mileage. You are best off getting the correct values from Ford - and it doesn't hurt to do it early.

Ditto about changing the water pump at the same time, if it's driven by the timing belt. If it fails then you have to do the whole timing belt job again, so to my mind it's worth it to reduce the risk, whether you do it yourself or pay someone.

#6 rojariggs

rojariggs

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Name: Roger
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2011

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

On most of the current Ford engines with cambelts the official interval is 100k miles or 10 years.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users