Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When Should The Cam Belt Be Changed?

lodav2011

Hi there when should the cam belt and the water pump be changed?

Your cam belt should be changed at the service interval shown in your service schedule. Your dealer will happily tell you though. Your water pump (if driven by your cam belt) needs changing too (if its driven by the cam belt) as this will be stressed by the belt. If your pump is driven by your alternator belt then change it when it squeak's or leaks. Better to change the belt early than too late. Pumps arnt that expensive if you do the job yourself.

On cars I've owned before mostly vw & audis I changed them at about 4 years / 40000 miles with pump. It's usually the rotating parts, (ie) idler bearings and tensioners that wear more than the belt.

Hi, a quick scan on google led me to www.mytimingbelt.com - tells you all the intervals for Fords and seems to have all other makes and models too.

IN terms of water pump, that is your call. They are relatively cheap and whilst everything is stripped down you might as well do it. If not, it'll mean paying the labour again to strip it should it develop a fault.

I think the mileage values given on the mytimingbelt website are correct, but not the intervals. For example, on my Mk 6 1.25 Fiesta (2004), it's 100K mileage or 10 years, but the website states 8 years - no bad thing as it's a smaller interval, so it won't hurt. In contrast, I checked what it said about my Picasso - 75K mileage, which is correct, but an interval of 10 years, which I'm 99% sure is wrong - I think it's 7 - I had mine done last year on the basis of age, not mileage. You are best off getting the correct values from Ford - and it doesn't hurt to do it early.

Ditto about changing the water pump at the same time, if it's driven by the timing belt. If it fails then you have to do the whole timing belt job again, so to my mind it's worth it to reduce the risk, whether you do it yourself or pay someone.

On most of the current Ford engines with cambelts the official interval is 100k miles or 10 years.

• 6 years later...

My garage is getting vehicles in with snapped cam belts around the 70,000 mile mark. My last cam/water pump change was 47,000 miles at 10 year point. I will probably have the work done again at the 9 year point. Neighbour down the road, poor lady: 2014 fiesta. Cam belt snapped whilst driving on the motorway. Not a very nice experience to encounter. Car odometer was over 70,000 miles.

Ford now say 8 years for a 2011 1.6 Ti-vct which is mine and had done 3 months ago with Dayco Kit and water pump and also aux belt.

Ring ford they will tell you as some are 10 years some are 8 years but i know mine 100% was the 8 year one as asked loads of people and on here.

Also have the pump done as even if its not driven by the belt its more of a easier job as mine was checked first and said yes it needs doing and thats

on a 28k car 2011 reg.

On 4/17/2012 at 7:11 PM, lodav2011 said:

Hi there when should the cam belt and the water pump be changed?

Depends on your engine - what is the registration?

You can check yourself on http://www.etis.ford.com or call your local Ford Dealer (and they'll use the same system to check).

They will tell you when Ford say your timing belt should be changed according to the service schedule - e.g. my Fiesta is 10 years / 112,500 miles.

The water pump is up to you but it's a lot cheaper in the long run to get both done at the same time as they're located next to each other so you'll pay less labour than if you got them done separately as it's a similar job. 

Had mine changed 08 mk 6 fiesta 60k a couple of weeks ago at Tremont Road. Water pump, idler. tensioner all new, not genuine ford. £470 parts labour. The old belt looked like new but looks can be deceiving. Excellent car from 1 year old.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club