Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Anyone Had Any Experience Using Ford Touch Up Pens??

alkyz89

went to the dealers today about a worn mark in the paintwork above the boot section. the guy at ford gave me these two pens free of charge

DSC_0463.jpg

is there any tips or advise anyone can give to me with regards to applying them?? or is it as straight forward as painting on the colour with the small brush, then going over the top with the clearcoat??

also if anyone has used these before what is the finish like??

thanks in advance for any help!!

How big is the area you need to touch up? In most cases the brush is too big and puts on too much paint. For small scratches and chips you should try using a cocktail stick or similar and build up in a few layers. For very small marks and scratches you probably don't need the clearcoat.

thanks for the reply the area is about 8mm x 2mm very small... caused by the rear washer hose rubbing on the body of the car... the clear coat is going to act as a protector to stop/reduce the wearing of the paint... and yes i found the brush is a bit big and the colour seems to dry a tad darker but i don't no whether that's because it overlaps the original paint??

Im just recovering from a coronary attack... Ford dealer, gave you a FREE touch up pen kit?

1) Ford never give anything away for free... 2) You got a free pen kit from a London Dealership?

• Like 1

yep he came out and used the silver touch up pen and said give it five minutes then go over the top with this clearcoat when you get home lol then i said if i have any marks on the bumpers whats the best thing to use (knowing full well i need that touch up paint he has in his hand lol) and he said here take this haha...

1) i think its because he was worried i would take this further as this seems to be a manufacturing fault on the ford focus...

2) yea it was the ford dealers on the A10 in enfield...

with regards to the application i have applied 3 coats of the colour and 1 of the clearcoat so far i will do another clearcoat when it is dry and hopefully this will be enough although the colour match is not exact... :(

DSC_0485.jpg

with regards to the application i have applied 3 coats of the colour and 1 of the clearcoat so far i will do another clearcoat when it is dry and hopefully this will be enough although the colour match is not exact... :(

It will be very hard to get the colour to match perfectly. Even colours like silver weather over time. Also it won't be as smooth as the orginal finish which will mean it looks a different shade anyway.

All you can do is apply lots of thin coats sparingly with a cocktail stick or similar and then stop when it's as near as you can get it. Once you have put any clearcoat on don't start adding more silver on top.

It's about as good as you can do with a touch-up kit.

yea i guessed as much i was thinking of doing afew coats of the clearcoat to give good protection against any parts rubbing on it... thanks for the advice

yea i guessed as much i was thinking of doing afew coats of the clearcoat to give good protection against any parts rubbing on it... thanks for the advice

Just be careful not to go too far and end up with a shiny bubble instead!

i think thats what i want fords fix is a clear sticker over the affected area lol to stop the part wearing the paint off lol so a small shinny bubble would be fine lol ... its located when you lift the boot, the rear washer hose rubs on the paintwork when opening and closing the boot... so its not visible when the boot is closed, and you barely noticed it when the boot is open to be fair but i have heard horror stories of it rusting!! someone on here posted pictures as proof but when i mention it the the salesman he said 'well it shouldn't rust because its galvanized' lool

Because its an inconspicuous place, its not too bad, but I tried to use a touch up on my bonnet, noticable at short range, not too bad at long range, but its something if I had the money to, I would get chips away out to resolve it.

If it keeps your warranty intact, then its a good option in the short term, but if its going to affect resale price, by more than the cost to tidy it up, then you might as well get it done up properly.

You could always apply a felt bad or similar to the mark if you dont want to paint it, or, for a laugh, now that you have your pen - take the car back and complain that its not really a fix, and that it will be undone in a year or two! lol

The trick with touch up pen repairs is not to consider the finished result on being an invisible repair, more so an "at a glance looks better than it did" affair... Often, the most obvious "fault" with touch up repairs are the immediately noticable "brush strokes" when the paint has dried. Give the repair a few weeks to fully cure (not just dry) Then do a rather intense fingertip t-cutting session on the touch up... Most (if not all) of the brush strokes will reduce greatly, and in some cases will be barely noticeable, and often stand up to close up scrutiny...

Hi mate

Used to use ford touch up paint found it hard to blend in.

I now use chipex excellent product so easy to use highly recommended.

why not just get some kind of foam or plastic cover to put over the mark..

Which model focus is this a problem on? I checked this marking out on mine due to people saying they've had rusting in this area and mine seem to be a different cable to these.

why not just get some kind of foam or plastic cover to put over the mark..

Which model focus is this a problem on? I checked this marking out on mine due to people saying they've had rusting in this area and mine seem to be a different cable to these.

Hi mate,

sorry to say that your model is liable to be effected so o would advise to keep an eye out for it in the future,

it can occur on any hatch back focus both 5 door and 3 door from 2005 - 2011 any hatch back mk2 or mk2.5 model

ford tried to put an anti-chip pad on models from 2008 onwards but in my case they put it in the wrong place and the pipe began to rub off the body, striping the paint.

also for more information and peoples comments on this problem see my link in the list below this post titled ''is your focus rusting'' my focus was 4 months old when it started to rust back in 2010

• 1 year later...

hey guys i had this from ford shop as i got few chips in the roof and wanted to get a touch up kit for it ford given me this one but i have no idea what one to apply first and what tools i need for the job and what to do. :/ can anyone help me please this is a pic of what they given me for my electric orange focus st :/

007_zpsa13d9be5.jpg

IIRC, you need to use the pen (far left) "Basecoat 1" diamond white, let it dry. Use this until you have got the paint relatively level. Then use the clearcoat in that set over the top, and leave it to dry. Apply two or three layers. At this point, you should have it mostly level and flat.

Then apply "Basecoat 2" (Orange) and let it dry, you want to be using a few layers until the white is no longer visible and the level is about 99% level with the rest of the paintwork. When your happy with the colour match, then just finalise and smooth it out with the last clearcoat pencil.This should in essence be level if not raised from the body work.

When done, the best thing to do is take some very fine wet and dry sandpaper (2000 grit) and with it wet, rub the area down so that its pretty much perfectly level. Then apply wax with a polisher (240v) to bring the entire area back to shine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club