Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual Mass Flywheel? Really Bad Vibration

fintious maximus

Hi all, my mondeo (petrol) has a vibration/grumbling noise and is worse when turning right - turning left and the noise virtually goes. Motorway driving is noisy too. Was told that drivers side wheel bearing was gone so had that replaced today and still no difference. The garage said it could be DMF. Having done a search on internet it seems that DMF is on diesel engined vehicles - is that the case and does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be if not that?

Any help appreciated as it's driving me mad.

Further searching and petrol engines do have dmf... Is it at fault though?

I hope yours hasnt a DMF. I fail to see just why they are being fitted. Since the beginning of time the faithful cast iron flywheel has served its purpose and now for some reason they are being fitted willy nilly to every model of car you can think of. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Thanks, but DMF's are for sale for 1.8 and 2.0 petrol Mondeo's so reckon it has one. Having really bad luck with cars recently - my V70 T5 has died and now it's replacement (mondeo) is giving me grief. Reckon I should give it back to the garage I bought t from but they don't seem too interested other than recommending garages to take it to...

cant see a flywheel giving an issue turning right sounds like driveshaft or even a lumpy tyre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What speed is it at and is it slightly reduced if you go into neutral ? Paul

as above, im thinking a tyre, shaft, hub or gearbox? dont see why direction should affect the DMF.

I was thinking the same and thought possibly drive shaft. The noise goes completely when clutch is depressed. Regards speed - in a straight line it's at motorway speeds but going right around a bend can be any speed. It is getting noticeably worse though almost daily and as I've just gone 7 weeks without a car (til I bought the mondo) I really need to get it sorted.

If the noise goes when the clutch is pressed, it could be the thrust bearing (clutch release bearing). It wouldnt have been linked to turning left or right though.

Quick update - just taken car out and the noise has got worse and does it almost constantly and not just on a right turn. Popped the bonnet up and revved the engine and it sounds like a plastic case/cover vibrating against something. Doesn't sound at all metallic but I can't pin it down to a place. Tried holding down all plastic bits but made no difference and it sounds much louder from inside the car.

If the noise goes when the clutch is pressed, it could be the thrust bearing (clutch release bearing). It wouldnt have been linked to turning left or right though.

It's really strange - can't pinpoint where it's coming from - would something like that sound metallic?

Do you post on the Great War Forum incidentally? There's a forum member with the same name?

will try and get under the car tomoz and investigate...

does the car drive ok? pulling to one side?

Drives fine,just sounds awful!

Just had an early morning look under the car. Jacked it up and had a good nosey around and only things I could find were a rattle from the radiator plastic housing (this is all with engine off by the way) and when rotating the wheel by hand there is a very slight sound from where the driveshaft goes in to the gearbox - it's not a grating noise but doesn't sound as smooth asI would have thought - not that I know much about how they should sound!

Took car to a garage this morning and mechanic came out for a drive and he reckons that's it's definately not DMF but sounds like CV joint or a bearing that's close to going and also a bit of a blow in the front of the exhaust causing noise at high revs. I then took it back to where I bought it from and they have agreed to sort it out so in the meantime they've let me use a Megane (which is awful). Hopefully I'll get it back and sorted next week - fingers crossed.

hope it is only a shaft related problem and nothing to do with the gearbox

if it was dmf it would make the noise when styationary. If it's shaft related then it will only happen when moving. DMFs are normally no problem on petrols but....

Right, sorted! Just got it back and it is brill. The problem was a large engine mount at the back of the engine which is a disk the size of a small football (garage description!) which had cracked in half. It's been replaced and I can't believe how quiet the engine is - dead chuffed and would like to thank Beauchief Cars in Sheffield for top customer service.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club