Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Voice Recognition Quirk With "ipod"?

JMLN

Just curious if anybody else has noticed a quirk that my husband and I have noticed with our Fiestas.

Each of us got 2012 Fiesta Titaniums within a month of each other. He got his first; I loved his car so much that I traded in my 9-year-old Audi S3 a year before I'd planned, and I got a Fiesta Titanium as well. We've been learning the voice commands for the Sony system. Now, I should add that I'm American by birth, while my husband is English.

I couldn't get my car's system to recognize it when I said "iPod". I tried saying it fast, slow, as EYE-Pod, as eye-POD, and as EYEPOD. Nothing. So I figured it was my accent.

When my husband got home from work, I asked him to try saying "IPod" in my car. The system couldn't understand HIM either, so it wasn't an accent issue.

After a lot of fiddling, he discovered that we have to pronounce the term as more like "eye-pud" to get the system to positively respond. We got into his Fiesta, and the situation was exactly the same...so it wasn't just a quirk of my car!

So I'm just curious if anybody else has noticed this. It causes great amusement with my passengers when I say "eye-pud" to my car, and the female voice responds with "eye-pod"!

Janet

Lol. I haven't used the iPod command before so haven't noticed it. I have found however that I can only use the 'external device' command at low speeds - too much road noise and it doesn't regonise it at all, even if I shout, (and I don't have a very strong accent).

Paul, I noticed the same thing over the weekend. Most of the voice commands could be understood over road noise, but I had to repeat "external device" several time before "she" understood me.

Janet

I have to refer to my wife as "Wife" not Hazel as the system hears it as Cancel,. so hence I have to call wife work, wife home, wife mobile..

Not sure but I remember seeing something in the manual about programming commands so it recognises your voice

Mines a zetec with the sony system and i have the same issue! Only a month old. Voice command is for the next generation of kids in my eyes, not for late 80's early 90's kids (-;

Just gone and sat in my car, said "external device" > "iPod" - she then did exactly as told.

You must all talk funny ;)

Just gone and sat in my car, said "external device" > "iPod" - she then did exactly as told.

You must all talk funny ;)

...and how about at 70mph Nathan?

:P

...and how about at 70mph Nathan?

:P

Dunno - I don't go above 65!

Really enjoying these responses, everybody! I'll dig into the manual and see if I can find anything about vocal recognition programming!

Janet

I programmed names and numbers into mine using my voice :-)

I was back at Hartwell Ford in Banbury with my husband's car this week. I told the staff about the "eye-pud" situation. No one there had ever tried the "external device -- iPod" command combination so couldn't comment.

Janet

tried mine and it seems happy with ipod. It then whinges as there no ipod connected but it's ipod not eye pud or anything like that.