Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fob

ade01

hiya all my key fob will only open the boot and not the doors how do i go about getting a new one and then how do i program it to the car many thanks ade

HAVE YOU GOT THE ORIGINAL OWNERS MANUEL, AND THE MASTER KEY OR ANOTHER THAT IS PROGRAMMED?

THE MANUEL WILL TELL YOU HOW TO PROGRAM THE KEY FOB AND ALSO HOW TO TURN ON / OFF FEATURES SUCH AS GLOBAL WINDOW CONTROL / SINGLE PRESS / TWO PRESS FOR DOOR OPENING.

REGARDS

SIMON

just the one key the car is a 2000 on the year

YOU MAY NOT NEED TO GET NEW ONES, YOU CAN PROGRAMME ADDITIONAL KEYS IN CAR SO LONG AS YOU HAVE ONE THAT WORKS IN SOME WAY.

YOU HAVE TO PUT A KEY IN THE IGNITION AND TURN TO A CERTAIN POINT UNTIL THE ALARM LIGHT STARTS TO BLINK AND THEN DO IT AGAIN, THEN PRESS BUTTONS ON THE KEYS YOU WANT TO PROGRAMME.

YOU WOULD NEED TO READ THE OWNERS MANUEL TO BE SURE OF THE CORRECT PROCEDURE, I DO NOT HAVE ONE TO HAND.

IF THAT ALL FAILS THEN BUYING NEW ONES IS NOT CHEAP. THERE IS A KEY CUTTING service IN MY LOCAL TESCO'S THAT OFFERED TO SUPPLY AND PROGRAMME A REMOTE KEY FOB FOR £145, THIS IS NOT BAD CONSIDERING FORD WILL PROBABLY BE NEARER £250.

REGARDS

SIMON

THE OTHER OPTION IF YOU HAVE KEYS COVERED ON YOUR CAR / HOUSE INSURANCE IS TO PHONE THEM AND TELL THEM YOU HAVE LOST YOUR KEYS.

THEY WILL SEND AN AUTO LOCKSMITH OUT TO YOU WHO WILL BE ABLE TO CUT / PROGRAM YOU A KEY AT ROAD SIDE. - YOU WOULD HAVE TO PAY AN EXCESS OF SOME SORT I AM SURE.

REGARDS

SIMON

• Like 1

If you need to reprogramme your keyless entry you insert the key into the ignition and turn from O to II four times.

The immobiliser light should come on solid and usually there will be a tone.

The car is now in learning mode.

Press any button on the key and a tone should sound again.

Remove the key or leave for approx 10 seconds and the learning mode will end.

Test the key to check it works.

To add spare keys seeing as you only have one key, I suggest a mobile auto locksmith who will supply a transponder only key coded and cut to the car for far less than Ford will.

I avoid supermarket or shoe repair car keys as they clone keys rather than programming unique ones.

Cloned ones cause problems.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have one blue chip key. I am waiting for another blue chip key from Timpsons. If the timpsons key works, as they say it will..transponder n'all. Does this mean that, as I will soon have two keys, I can programme a fob ( third key) myself?

If so, it could be cheaper than just buying a blank fob and getting Ford to programme it..

I have read as much as possible about this, but I don't think this specific question has been answered.

Cheers.

If the key is programmed onto the car it will count as a second key and will allow you to unlock the programming phase on the pats.

If it is (as I suspect it will be) a cloned key then the car will not recognise it as a second key and will not unlock the programming.

If you are adding a second key properly, the only way to do it is via the car using a vcm/ids terminal.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi key-woes guy,

my mondeo (2000 TDi 1998) has one remote key, looks original, and one manual key with blue chip. I also had a faulty lock button on the three button remote key, and this meant using the key more. The key was getting worn and needed replacing. I also wanted to replace the remote part of this key not just the blade so I could open and lock the car with the remote. Much searching and trying led me to You tube and a very useful clip How to program a Ford remote key fob - YouTube.

There are a few important things to bear in mind. The remote buttons are a completely different system to the immobilizer system. the remote programing is for the doors, but the immobilizer programing is to start the engine. These are programed independently and are completely separate systems. Any one will work without the other . So a keyfob can open the door but not start the engine. and also the other way about. Next if you have more than ONE key then they should all be programmed together for the door locks. This is simple to do and all that is needed is a single press of any button on each fob in turn. Usually a beep is heard after the ignition key is turned 0 to II 4 times in quick succession (see you tube for this) simpley press the remotes (any one button on each) beep heard again.

Pats programing (for the starter) is something else entirely. I have two individual keys that work ignition but wish to program a third. I have tried several times with the sequence 1st key on 3 ,secs, off . 2nd Key on 3 secs,off. 3rd key on 3 secs. System light flashes rapidly as if it does not like this third key. so I assume I have not invoked programming mode. Seems there may be more to learn about this early pats config. any suggestions?

• Like 1

The key adding process as you've been trying should work.

Is the transponder in the third key new or pre-used?

You may find that if it's been used before this may block programming.

New transponder tubes are readily available on eBay.

Btw, I believe you would need a red capped key to unlock the programming mode on the PATS 1 system on your car (PATS 2 didn't come in until about 2004).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club