will and his zetec s

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: William
  • Ford Model: fiesta zetec s mk6.5
  • Year: 2007

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hello all!!
I have been looking through this forum for a while but have now got a problem and cant find the answer for it anywhere.
I have a 2007 mk6.5 fiesta zetec s with 30,000 miles on the clock, lately it has been making a ticking noise and when I went to check the oil it had a strong smell of petrol, I have tested the oil and it definately has fuel in it, I wil be changing the oil asap but would also like to cure whatever is causing this.
If anyone has any suggestions i would be very grateful.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,719 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

I'd get the fuel pressure regulator checked.
It's between the fuel inlet and the injectors
and should look similar to this-

Posted Image

Symptoms of a Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator

Fuel pressure regulators do not fail often to work properly. However, if they do fail, then it may result in low pressure. Mostly, the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator develops a leakage and the fuel enters the vacuum hose. This may lead to various kinds of troubles in the engine. The pressure in the regulator can be checked by pinching the fuel return line. If the pressure in the fuel pressure regulator does not rise after pinching the fuel return pipe, it is an indication of a bad fuel pressure regulator. Various bad fuel pressure regulator symptoms are observed due to lack of fuel pressure or excessive fuel pressure. A sufficient fuel pressure is not built inside the fuel pressure regulator. Also, signs like black smoke and oil exits the engine (rich engine running) are seen when you start the vehicle. Even when the engine of the car is turned off, the fuel pressure drops.

Signs of a Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • The vehicle engine runs rough and often stumbles and sputters.
  • The engine will not start after ignition. Usually, this problem is encountered in the morning when you start your vehicle. Many times, the engine starts, but stalls shortly after starting.
  • The fuel pump in the vehicle becomes noisy at times.
  • A bad fuel pressure regulator can also result in fouled spark plugs.
  • Last but not the least, the fuel mileage of the engine decreases noticeably.
These are some of the symptoms of a bad fuel pressure regulator. When these symptoms are observed, the fuel pressure regulator needs a replacement. Replacing the fuel pressure regulator is the only solution to fix a bad fuel regulator.

Courtesy of- http://www.buzzle.co...-regulator.html

#3 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,512 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

The ticking noise at worse could be a cracked piston ring. Some engines will run OK for years like that, but it depends on how bad it is. However, I hope its something simple and cheap to sort.

#4 digidash

digidash

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Ford Model: cougar
  • Year: 2014
Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

petrol is used co clean/remove oil from parts.....if you have petrol in your oil your engine isn't getting proper lubrication and this is probably causing the ticking noise (tappets-camshafts) get this sorted IMMEDIATELY as poor lubrication can damage pistons, block, crankshaft, camshafts, valves basically you will need a new engine!! please dont drive this car, get it to a garage asap. tell them not to add engine flush to the oil thats in but change oil and filter 1st....then find cause of contamination.... then add flush, & change oil & filter again and cross fingers its caught in time.
the alternative is to run it with the petrol/oil mix until engine dies then pay for a new engine & fitting!!!

good luck & regards steve

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users