Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Member - Possibly Purchasing A New Fiesta

Kris Hitchen

Hi

First of all I'd like to say hello, I'm a new member and very likely going to be purchasing a new fiesta.

I'm looking at the entry level really, 1.25 60ps edge. What MPG am I actually going to get driving sensiblely around town and on the motorway? (as I have come to the understanding that Ford have really been generous with their figures). Is the Zetec worth the extra money over the edge?

Also is the 60ps version a lot slower than the 82ps? I'm thinking whether or not to pay that little bit extra in order to get a bit more power? I'm currently driving a 1.6, but need to change due to high-ish fuel and tax costs - and also because Ford are chucking the fiesta out at £59 per month!

Any help is really appreciated!

Hi

First of all I'd like to say hello, I'm a new member and very likely going to be purchasing a new fiesta.

I'm looking at the entry level really, 1.25 60ps edge. What MPG am I actually going to get driving sensiblely around town and on the motorway? (as I have come to the understanding that Ford have really been generous with their figures). Is the Zetec worth the extra money over the edge?

Also is the 60ps version a lot slower than the 82ps? I'm thinking whether or not to pay that little bit extra in order to get a bit more power? I'm currently driving a 1.6, but need to change due to high-ish fuel and tax costs - and also because Ford are chucking the fiesta out at £59 per month!

Any help is really appreciated!

Hi I think you will get around 45mpg, if its economy you want you may be better going for the diesel and especially if your going to be motorway driving as the gearing is higher on the diesel models.

Hi kris,I picked up my new fiesta edge 1.25(82) three week's ago and I have to say I'm very pleased with it.on a 140 mile round trip a mixture of motor way and back road's with the air con mostly on I got an average of 46mpg and it copes very well on the motorway at the legal limit,what model to go for?it depends what you really want,if alloy wheels,heated front screen,front fog's,are priority's then you need the Zetec,but me I think the edge is very nice inside and the fact it has air con persuaded me to buy this model,I did think it worth spending a little more on the engine that's why I got the 1.25(82) but that's just a personnel choice,I' hope this help's...

You may as well go for the 82ps version, it gets a lot of good reviews, it will also carry passengers better and won't feel too underpowered on the motorway. All of that and it's not much more in running costs, you''ll pretty much pay the difference at the garage and that's it.

Official Figures: (take with a pinch of salt in some cases)

Ford Fiesta Edge 1.25 (60ps)

Top Speed: - 94mph

0-60: 16.9 sec

Combined MPG: 51.4 mpg

Tax: £95 per year, 1st year free.

Insurance Group: 6

Ford Fiesta Edge 1.25 (82ps)

Top Speed: - 104mph

0-60: 13.3 sec

Combined MPG: 50.4 mpg

Tax: £95 per year, 1st year free.

Insurance Group: 6

More stats: http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/ford/ford-fiesta-guide.asp

60bhp in a car the size of the fiesta is suicide imo...

I'd imagine the 60ps version would be painfully slow - the 82ps version seems more adequate. Both versions may require a bit of trashing which obviously isn't good for fuel economy!

my 1.4 petrol gets 280 miles to a full tank costing around 45 to £50 to fill do not get a petrol!

Kris,

If you're looking for a small 60ps petrol commuting car, have you considered a Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo? Granted it's a bit basic but it'll do at least 50mpg!

I have a diesel that I bought only last week so I don't really know much about the petrols, however I am getting around 55MPG around town and 65MPG on motorway runs. I have the 1.4 which is plenty powerful enough. I would definitely go for the Zetec because it has a much more expensive and luxurious feel, I especially like the bluetooth and chrome strips! I do 90 miles a day for work so the diesel was a must for me. Try checking the diesels out if you do 10,000 miles + a year

Actually u lot are wrong about the 60ps engine. (only in me and my g/f opinnion)

From actual driving experiance the 1.25 60ps is :-

great in town

Great for new drivers (lower insurance band)

Great for car tax (£95 per year)

Fuel Economy is 2 mpg better than the 82ps

And When it gets near 3000rpm on the motorway it goes just fine

Top speed 95 which is way over the limit anyhow

Great little Car especially on a stripped out studio/style still good on the edge !

And yes i know i have found it can be remapped to 90ps

Jamie

One word of advice. Despite the tempting MPG figures don't bother with diesel if your're not going to be doing that many miles/ lots of short trips. If you have lots of hills where you live the higher powered engine may be best aswell.