• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1200rt

1200rt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1800 Zetec
Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

I have a Focus 1.8 zetec 'T' reg. Sometimes, say every couple of weeks, the clutch pedal goes sloppy and only engages right near the floor. If I push it down to the floor then let it spring up quickly a couple of times it seems to reset itself. The missus reckons that by putting your fioot under the clutch pedal and lifting it up also seems to reset it. Although this has never worked for me.

Any ideas as to whats faulty? I believe there is a ratchet type thing above the clutch pedal that is may be worn and needs replacing (cogs worn?). There is no leekage of any fluids. A local garage suggests its the master cylinder that needs replacing at a cost of - - - - wait for it 400!!!!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Bottlethroddy

Bottlethroddy

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Ghia
Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

I have a Focus 1.8 zetec 'T' reg. Sometimes, say every couple of weeks, the clutch pedal goes sloppy and only engages right near the floor. If I push it down to the floor then let it spring up quickly a couple of times it seems to reset itself. The missus reckons that by putting your fioot under the clutch pedal and lifting it up also seems to reset it. Although this has never worked for me.

Any ideas as to whats faulty? I believe there is a ratchet type thing above the clutch pedal that is may be worn and needs replacing (cogs worn?). There is no leekage of any fluids. A local garage suggests its the master cylinder that needs replacing at a cost of - - - - wait for it 400!!!!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Im afraid your mechanics diagnosis is the same as mine, definately sounds like the clutch master cylinder :(

#3 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,654 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

Im afraid your mechanics diagnosis is the same as mine, definately sounds like the clutch master cylinder :(

sounds like there is air stuck in the system, bleeding it may help. as for a ratchet mechanism...never seen anything like that on a focus, im aware that all focus models are just hydraulic.

If its the master cylinder, DO NOT PAY 400 for it!! i just changed mine for 60!! very simple job to, takes about 2 hours. i understand you may not be able to undertake the task yourself but i would only pay 150 max at a garage including parts. I got a genuine ford clutch master cylinder from a company on ebay for 53 delivered!
If you want to undertake it yourself please get back to me and i will help you out.
stef

#4 drewtiss

drewtiss

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus
Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

sounds like there is air stuck in the system, bleeding it may help. as for a ratchet mechanism...never seen anything like that on a focus, im aware that all focus models are just hydraulic.

If its the master cylinder, DO NOT PAY 400 for it!! i just changed mine for 60!! very simple job to, takes about 2 hours. i understand you may not be able to undertake the task yourself but i would only pay 150 max at a garage including acura shock absorber parts. I got a genuine ford clutch master cylinder from a company on ebay for 53 delivered!
If you want to undertake it yourself please get back to me and i will help you out.
stef

Lol. The price is quite ridiculous. 400 for a master cyclinder? No way. I got mine for 70 I just let my uncle do the job.

#5 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus Mk1.5 Estate 1.8 TDCi Ghia

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

A ratchet self-adjuster was used on older Fords with cable-operated clutches. As stef123 points out the hydraulic system used on the Focus does not have any adjuster since the system is self-adjusting.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users