Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Cuting Out...

Sian163

My 1999 focus, 1.8 petrol has just come out of my mates garage, and now keeps cutting out.

When the revs drop (stopping or changing gear) it just keeps dropping and cuts out (sometimes) I genuinely have no idea what he has done to it as he said he has had a "play with a few things" but not quite sure what he has actually done but apparently something to do with re-routing a few things, he didn't go into detail..... It originally went in as I thought the thrust bearing had collapsed, but turns out it was a gearbox issue, so have new gearbox and clutch now......

Does anyone have any idea what it should actually be idling at as it's currnetly idling at just below 1000 RPM,

HELP!!! (will in future be sending car to proper garage or doing it myself so I know whats actually been done!!)

Hi Sian,

Sounds to me like it could be the Idle Control Valve, worth getting it checked out, either that or the Mass Air Flow Sensor may need replacing.

I had a similar problem with a golf i used to have. when i bought it iy would cut out when ever i put my foot on the clutch or had it in neutral. took it to my uncle n he sprayed some intake cleaner into it n that seem to of sorted. not sayin that's what you need to do but worth a try n probs the cheapest option.

Spoke to a mate of mine today, from what I gather they have an automatic choke, and think that this may be what my other mate bypassed, will see if getting it routed back to where it should be, if not will try the intake cleaner see if that helps things, and the idle control valve. Cheers guys, just finding it a little annoying having to bump start it every 2 minutes lol. :)