Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can A Cycle Rack Be Fitted To The Tailgate?

gordon344

Apologies if this topic has been covered, I am new to the site and can't find the search box. I'm worried about fitting a cycle rack to the tail gate because of the spoiler thing at the top, the straps would have to tension over it. I have tried my local dealer and Ford's customer support and was told to ring a premium cost number for advice. Not impressed. My Fiesta is a 2011 model 1.25 3 door edge.

Unlikely you would get the nod from Ford as the tailgate is not designed as a load carrying part - hence why many European countries ban them.

Would you be able to lift bikes onto the roof? If so a roof rack with bike carrier is a much more reliable way and doesn't obscure the lights of number plate.

Cheers colin, I'll look in to that option.

You can get carriers that slot into a square socket under the bumper like a towbar mount.

• 2 months later...

You can get carriers that slot into a square socket under the bumper like a towbar mount.

I've seen this on several US fiestas and fancy it - anyone have a model number or anything so I can find and price one, or is it just a one fits all type thing?

cheersssss

I think a roof rack would be better. The rear bars cover most of the rear window and that can be annoying.

Thanks stoney. So I take it I'd need to fit a tow bar mount first. The ones ive seen on US fiestas seem to have a nice subtle black square hole just showing underneath the bumper, then I presume they just plug in a hitch mount bike rake. Looks much better than having a tow hook showing as if I pull trailers. See: http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/91387-post9.html

I think a roof rack would be better. The rear bars cover most of the rear window and that can be annoying.

I can live without the back window the odd time I drive somewhere with my bike. I just think mounting the bike onto a tow mount would be nicer than fitting roof racks (plus I'd probably drop the bike and damage my roof/windscreen/bonet lol), and I'm also not a fan of the type that hang on your boot lid and have straps etc - too much faff.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club