jonathansims1984

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Name: Jonathan
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCI Zetec Climate Pack
  • Year: 2006

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hi

Recently the Cooling fan on my ford focus TDCI has been coming on even though the Temp gauge on the dash is showing what I'm led to believe is the perfect temp for the car( Just below half way)... The fan stays on after the engine has been turned off for about a minute... This occurs if I drive for 20 miles or even just 2-3 miles...

Also the average MPG is now only 31.8 MPG round town this seems a little low for a 06 Diesel engine... does the fan running all the time cause the alternator to work harder therefore cause for higher fuel consumption?

Could the problem be the thermostat or Temp Sensor?? Some also mentioned could be the EGR valve?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thank you

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Mondyghiax

Mondyghiax

Rich

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name: Rich
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ghia x
  • Year: 1998

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hi are you using the a/c when the fans run on also there was a recall on the focus cooling fans but I think it was just the 1800 diesels that were affected but might be worth cheking with your local dealer to see if it is outstanding on your car.

#3 jonathansims1984

jonathansims1984

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hi are you using the a/c when the fans run on also there was a recall on the focus cooling fans but I think it was just the 1800 diesels that were affected but might be worth cheking with your local dealer to see if it is outstanding on your car.

Alright,

Yeah I know that the A/C activates when setting blowers to windscreen this acts as a d-mister... But even when the blowers are turned off the fan runs.... I have even taken out the A/C relay just to see if the A/C was faulty somehow but the cooler fan still runs like I say for about 1 minute after the car ignition has been turned off... I'm pretty sure this is the reason why i'm only getting 31.8 MPG

#4 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

bump

#5 jonathansims1984

jonathansims1984

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hi again,

I have just been advised that by another site that I might have a choked up turbo pipe which could be causing the turbo to run hotter than normal.... hense the reason the coolant fan is running all the time.... do you think this is possible and what kind of cost do you think i will be facing if it is a choked up turbo pipe?

#6 ajt

ajt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec Climate 5dr TDCi 1.6
  • Year: 2007

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

Does the fan come on as soon as you start the engine?

#7 jonathansims1984

jonathansims1984

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

Does the fan come on as soon as you start the engine?

comes on after about five mins of average driving

#8 jonathansims1984

jonathansims1984

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

comes on after about five mins of average driving

iv been reading up and I reckon I might get diognostic run... hopefully this will show the problem.
But I'm leaning more towards Coolant sensor, or EGR Valve going on the symptoms of Rough Idle - Noisy engine at accelerations and increased fuel consumption and coolant fan running alot

#9 Luucas

Luucas

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Lukasz
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCI

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

I have similar issue - fan runs a lot even in cold weather conditions, but my engine temperature is not going any higher than 1/4 of dash gauge - so I presume it around 70. I had my car connected to diagnostic tool in local ford garage and it did not indicate any errors. I'm planing to change thermostat and temp sensor tomorrow and will see if it make any difference.

MPG is not good either.

Please note that my car has factory fitted DPF but it has been checked in Ford and no issues found. 

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users