project-c

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Name: carl
  • Ford Model: focus 2.0 zetec
  • Year: 2001

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

the bit your on about looks nice wrapped. I wrap mk1/2 Gear surrounds, Door handle inserts, wing mirror caps, and ash trays and the wing mirror control panels. To be honest its a nice way to lift the interior ,as they can be quite plain and boring. Here is some pics of the things i have done for mine, and sell on ebay :)
This is mine
Posted Image

Handles, and wing mirror interior cover
Posted Image

Ash tray
Posted Image

And a better look at the interior panels is on my ebay page (Honestly not a shameless plug)
http://www.ebay.co.u...sid=p4340.l2562

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

the prices are truly shockin for a bit of plastic ive seen them sell for over 70 ill check the scrappies just cnt justify that ppce for what it is he wraps them as they are 2nd hand

Not sure what he wraps them in exactly, but he had a few bits from the focus st for sale, all were done in carbon wrap, and he states he has numerous years experience in this field.

On another note, I'm looking at some of the work in these photos,,,, having never tried it myself, how do ppl get this stuff to sit correctly on some difficult contour's ? My head can see it, but my mind won't let me understand lol.

#18 project-c

project-c

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Name: carl
  • Ford Model: focus 2.0 zetec
  • Year: 2001

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

heat.... patience and a dam sharp scalpel blade :) . GOOD quality vinyl apposed to cheaper stuff really helps.
Buy bubble free if you haven't done it before as the adhesive backing has a honey comb effect to disperse the air bubbles easier.
For me the harder ones are the interior mirror covers, passenger side is easy, but the drivers is a !Removed! because its 3 sided and a weird shape lol

#19 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

i was wrapping before it was popular rule1 dont use hdat guns they get to hot and focus the heat to much a hairdryer does a far better job.
the quality of the vinyl matters cheap stuffs just no good

shaping just takes practice and patience and how you cut vinyl makes a difference

#20 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,147 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hey guys, new here.
I have a vision blue 2008 Focus, I keep seeing them with the rear windows and hatch tinted. Just wondering how much was it for you to get that done?

Loving the idea of wrapping the centre console. Don't think I'd be too happy tearing it all apart though!

Hi mate,
if you want advise on temoving the centre console for wrapping, i can walk you through it no problem just PM me and ill give you my email address.
also here is Davids post quoting the price,
and it seems to be the going rate for the 3 rear windows, because i got mine done on my last car and it cost me 180euro

The tints cost me £150 + VAT but in my eyes a huge huge improvment,

#21 Haz93

Haz93

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Name: Harrison
  • Ford Model: KA Mk2 + Audi A5 Cabriolet
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi guys
I've just vinyl wrapped the bits between the doors that were bumpy plastic. Done them in gloss black to match the window tint and really pleased with the outcome. It's very simple to do. I didn't take any of the bits off the car, just cut to size( just a bit bigger than the part) and hair dryered on. This was the first time I ever tryied it and was very simple, if you get it wrong just peel it off and start again :)
I will be happy go give advice to anyone willing to give it a go. Vinyl wrap from eBay 3m x 1m was about 8 and the applicator tool 2 so not expensive at all
Hope this helps

#22 jgriff

jgriff

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 zetec
  • Year: 2008

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Any pics of the finished article?

#23 Petar

Petar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: Petar
  • Ford Model: Focus MKII Futura Wagon
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

Here's my 3d carbon wrapping of interior parts:
Posted Image

I skipped the ashtray door and the row of buttons above it - thought it gives a better flow with the other hard plastics around.
The steering surrounds are my favorite bit - I always found the silver shine too annoying while driving in sunny weather. Now it all blends nicely - I'm happy.

Btw, I did use a heat gun for this. The vinyl I used is Oracal Wrapping Cast 960. The trick with using the heat gun is that you only heat the vinyl for a brief moment and always work with a relatively small area at a time. I think that's the easiest way to shape and mold the vinyl around the surface. In addition, if you don't heat the vinyl enough the glue won't hold properly. On my first attempt I was too lazy and used the wife's hairdryer (still a powerful one) and I wasn't too pleased with the result.

I've made some mention and photos of removing the MK2.5 console in my Ford USB Music Box guide (in the guide section) - it's quite easy.

At one point I was really keen on wrapping the vent surrounds but I couldn't get them out with little power so I gave up before I broke something. :) If anyone knows how to easily take these out without causing permanent damage, please, share. :)

#24 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

did mine silver as everyone seems to be doing black carbon so i went a bit different glovebox handle and rear inside door handles are done as well as the battery box and engine bay fusebox cover.the silver works with my interior black would just have been too dark for me next step was to get the oval sony stereo though seeing the prices and with a baby on the way sod it the one in will do though does anyone know if i can fit usb to it interior.JPG

#25 Affy

Affy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2.5 1.8 Zetec
  • Year: 2011

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Heres my centre console carbon wrapped - never tried it before and found it fairly easy - hairdryer and craft knife - doesn't take long either!

Posted Image

#26 Envyus

Envyus

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 1.8 Zetec

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Am loving how this turns out fellas!
Can anyone advise how you would go about cutting out holes? I am thinking of trying this myself and dont want to mess it up :P.
Also where do you guy's get your wrap from?

#27 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

to do the holes theres 2ways first is to cut the inside of the hole in half then half again like a pie then you can heat and fold the wrap to the rear of the fascia or get a very sharp stanley blade or craft knife and cut the hole from the rear.wrap ebay search bubble free wrap

#28 Envyus

Envyus

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 1.8 Zetec

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thanks artscot! that makes sense :).
I unfortunately don't use ebay so I'll search google and see what I can find.

Edit:

Found this on Amazon, would you say this is a decent price.

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B007TVSRQW

#29 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

thats a fair price mate

#30 Affy

Affy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2.5 1.8 Zetec
  • Year: 2011

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

To get the best results from the holes heat the area and smooth the wrap into the area before cutting - it will stick to the sides as it stretches over then you can make the cuts - like a pie as mentioned - i made many cuts around the circle and found this gave a smooth wrap over the edges. Just use heat and if you go wrong heat it back up and start over.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users