LoneWolf

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Ford Model: Fusion 2 1.4tdci

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hi

Long time since i have posted

i was wondering if anybody has replaced the shock springs on a fusion before and if there is anything i need to be aware of. snapped on this morning by going over a speed hump 5mph "been a long time coming"

any advice would be great

Thanks in advance

LoneWolf

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi Lonewolf

How many miles has your car covered and what condition are those shock absorbers in.

Getting the springs off might be very difficult and also very dangerous.

If the shocks were fine before the spring went i would obtain some new oem springs and take the complete unit to a garage and ask them to remove the old springs and install the new springs for you.

That way you dont put yourself in any danger of being killed by a compressed spring. and believe me it has happened before.

Jamie

#3 focus zetec s black

focus zetec s black

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name: dean
  • Ford Model: focus zetec s 08
  • Year: 2008

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hi Lonewolf

How many miles has your car covered and what condition are those shock absorbers in.

Getting the springs off might be very difficult and also very dangerous.

If the shocks were fine before the spring went i would obtain some new oem springs and take the complete unit to a garage and ask them to remove the old springs and install the new springs for you.

That way you dont put yourself in any danger of being killed by a compressed spring. and believe me it has happened before.

Jamie

yes im with jamie even with the right equipment these can be tricky for the good diy man...take it to the garage they will have a good spring compressor and it will take a hour a side tops...you wouldent believe how much you have to compress some springs to get them back in the leg!

#4 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,648 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

its not a difficult task with the right equipment but as the other guys have said you would be best taking the assembly to a garage and asking them to swap the spring over.
I used to use the threaded bar type compressors with the claws on the end, after having a close shave with them i have since bought a hydraulic unit - as i said though, unless you intend to do it often then dont bother tbh

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users