Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stealing Fiestas

ChingfiordBlue

Ladies & Gents,

Have opened an account here after today finding a previous thread about a new fiesta being stolen. I was searching the web after I disturbed three scumbags trying to steal my 9 month old Fiesta Titanium 1.6 two nights ago (9th May) and I believe what happened may shed sone light on what's going on. Also, I hope it may help stop it happening to others.

In short, the car was parked in the street right under our bedroom window (which was open). I'd gone to be at about 9.40pm. Some twenty minutes later, I heard what I thought was someone moving our wheelie bins on our stone driveway. I ignored this until I heard the same sound again and (thank God) went to my window to look out. At this point, I saw two white guys in their late 20s/early 30s with both hands on the bonnet of my car, pushing it backwards. I shouted and they made off instantly. Threw a robe on and ran downstairs. The car was about 15 feet from where I'd parked it.

What they'd done is drill a hole into the driver's door about two inches under the handle (which was the first "rumbling" noise I'd heard) thereby 'popping' the lock. Once inside, they ripped off the cowling behind the steering wheel (which was on the back seat) and then drilled the ignition barrel/housing (which was the second noise), presumably to break the steering lock. It transpires that there was a Transit van fitted with a tow tray in the main road at the end of my (very quiet) street, which is where the scumbags had run to.

Some things to note. The gap between the first and second "noises" was about 30 seconds. Also, there were people both walking and driving past whilst this was going on but, because it was a "nice" car, being pushed by grown men not kids, people had clearly assumed that this was a legitimate recovery, particularly as it was being pushed towards a 'tow' vehicle.

Subsequent discussion with the excellent Met Police reveals that new hatchbacks (2011 onward) are overtaking BMWs etc as the car of choice when stealing to order (as this incident was) especially 1.6 models or better (injection, sports models and so on). The two main reasons are the catalytic converters, which I'm assured can command £2K + on their own, and the excellent performance/fuel economy that these cars now offer.

I was also assured that, because of engine immobilser technology, all cars built in the EU from 2003 onwards can only be stolen either with a relevant key, or by lifting. This is why 'coathanger burglaries' (where keys are lifted off hallway tables/hooks by coathanger through the letterbox) went through the roof some years ago, as did 'fake' accidents after which the other party then steals the car that has been 'hit'.

Very, very stupidly, I thought my car had an alarm fitted as standard, something I'm now rectifying (which is how I found this Board). Worryingly though, even when that's done, I'll still be worried that they'll return when I'm out, and, given the speed of this incident. Hey ho.

I hope this is of some use.

Ladies & Gents,

Very, very stupidly, I thought my car had an alarm fitted as standard, something I'm now rectifying (which is how I found this Board). Worryingly though, even when that's done, I'll still be worried that they'll return when I'm out, and, given the speed of this incident. Hey ho.

I hope this is of some use.

Are you saying you car was not fitted with an alarm? I thought all cars now had some sort of alarm and immobiliser.

in the interest of other fiesta owners,

could you please edit your post to contain less in dept detail as to where the drilled and what results they gained from this,

• Like 2

Lenny, I assure you I gave it a lot of thought.

Two things though. Firstly, in terms of criminals using this tactic, the cat is firmly out of the bag. Secondly, the previous thread I referred to had something like 6 pages of discussion around how that Fiesta was nicked and how to prevent it, including whether or not to use remote keys, whether to purchase Tracker devices, brake cables being cut and so on. None of the (very well-meant) speculation came close to what happened to my car and this is very relevant as I guarantee that this method is being used across the country already. Further, I'd bet a months wages that the car nicked in the other thread was stolen by the same means as the attempt on mine.

Finally, knowledge is power. Better by far (IMHO) that the members of this board are aware that, for instance, anti-tilt devices won't stop their car being stolen in the first place.

Kind Regards.

Oh, and NDSussex, forgive me as I obviously don't know who the 'characters' are on here!

Assuming your post was without sarcasm, I'm ashamed to say that yes, so did I.

Duuuuhhhhhhh!

Oh, and NDSussex, forgive me as I obviously don't know who the 'characters' are on here!

Assuming your post was without sarcasm, I'm ashamed to say that yes, so did I.

Duuuuhhhhhhh!

Quote:

Very, very stupidly, I thought my car had an alarm fitted as standard, something I'm now rectifying

No sarcasm, it was a serious question.

Lenny, I assure you I gave it a lot of thought.

Two things though. Firstly, in terms of criminals using this tactic, the cat is firmly out of the bag. Secondly, the previous thread I referred to had something like 6 pages of discussion around how that Fiesta was nicked and how to prevent it, including whether or not to use remote keys, whether to purchase Tracker devices, brake cables being cut and so on. None of the (very well-meant) speculation came close to what happened to my car and this is very relevant as I guarantee that this method is being used across the country already. Further, I'd bet a months wages that the car nicked in the other thread was stolen by the same means as the attempt on mine.

Finally, knowledge is power. Better by far (IMHO) that the members of this board are aware that, for instance, anti-tilt devices won't stop their car being stolen in the first place.

Kind Regards.

ok i just thought i would ask the question,

this forum is case sensitive and can be searched and viewed in google search.

perhaps remove the titanium badge from the rear or change it to a style badge

the style is the base model with a lower sized engine and not so many extras inside of it,

so the next time someone comes looking for a high spec model they will pass yours by,

this is also a very good item for fords too, because the bonnet needs a key to open it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richbrook-Discarnect-Battery-Disconnect-Isolator-Cut-Off-Switch-fuselink-/120907979953?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c26ad5cb1

and tilt sensors rarely work in any case,

they are just a ball in a box and if tilted ever so slowly they dont triger.

a tracking device is also a good investment,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime-Vehicle-Car-GPS-GSM-GPRS-Tracker-System-Device-TK103-/150810207129?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item231cfd2399

then both you and the cops will know where your car has gone to.

always good to know so as you can take further personal action while the cops are on tea breaks etc. ;)

Thanks for the insight mark, Its amazing to see how quickly and easily they did this, and with gonads of steal as well... what time was this? 22:00? that is pretty early, and not dark by much!

I think perhaps in the interest of security, and safety, it may be best to remove the details of the location of the drills, but incase some theiving fanatic googles it, it may be worth stating that they drilled a couple of holes, one externally and one internally, so that it doesnt give away a step by step detail on how its done...

Its scary to think that 1) all modern cars that should have an alarm... dont! (does that mean we now have to try and smash the car up, before we collect it from the dealers?) and 2) the alarms are not working if they are in place. I would have thought that any attempt to externally invade the car, including a drilling of a hole or two, would have triggered the alarm?

Out of curiosity, did the car start after? did they not cut any wires? what are the insurance company saying or doing?

I've just had a look at the spec for a 2011 Fiesta Titanium advertised on the Jennings site, it does claim to have an alarm on this model, was this an optional extra? if so Ford should to be ashamed for being so tight.

Link.

http://www.jenningsforddirect.co.uk/cars/view/ford/fiesta/reg/nu11pua/

It should be an offence to sell a new motor with no alarm as far as I am concerned!

I think the alarm Ford fit to the Titanium spec is only the perimeter alarm, i.e. the alarm will only sound if a door, boot or bonnet is opened while the car is locked. If they popped your locks, I would have thought that would deactivate the alarm?

It angers me that people like you or I work hard to have a decent motor, and some theiving toe rag can have it away in 20 minutes!

• Like 1

I am very shocked that most cars dont have an alarm, and am disappointed for you that they have managed to fudge you over!

I really think a basic alarm system should be standard on ALL cars, DRL's are, and they are for safety, so surely an alarm cant be asking much?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I work for a company who are making 'OBD Protectors' for all fords ATM, thieves are decoding keys, getting them cut and then programming them into the car. The process takes 5 minutes and even quicker if your car is keyless (like mine!) take a look http://www.protectav....tection-device

And its safe for now ;D

616889_3945486748204_40523606_o.jpg

If people are that worried there is a cheaper way , using a double pole switch , simply splice into pin 6 and 14 , and make an open circuit and switch to close if you need to take it for a check up , that way the clever thieves won't have a clue why they can't connect to the OBD port.

2.50 for a switch , pretty sure that's cheaper than that device , and why would anyone in their right mind put those stickers on their dash.Just my opinion :)

it won't stop them pushing your car off the drive like in the Fiesta case , but it's a little extra security, against the Smart ! criminals

• Like 1

Easier option at least in a Focus, remove the panel, unclip the obd port from the panel and tuck it out of the way.

They go to plug in, find no port and waste their time looking for it.

Stoney i think if the port was not there they might rip out the trim and do more damage , if they can't connect they will be confused more.Plus the cable is not that long.

Tbh if they're stealing the car them damaged trim is the least of your worries.

It may slow them down enough to make them move on though.

I'd rather get them confused than them go on a search spree :)

I'd rather the sods got a proper day job!

Its crazy that all the security measures in place, and simple cracks can cause the car to be vulnerable. We should have the likes of smart systems - if the car detects ANY improper interference (drilling through the body when locked) then ALL brakes should lock up and seize - preventing the car from rolling. Also, all cars should have an alarm system IMHO which should be setoff in any event of interference. Short of lifting the car up, they wont get too far!

If people are that worried there is a cheaper way , using a double pole switch , simply splice into pin 6 and 14 , and make an open circuit and switch to close if you need to take it for a check up , that way the clever thieves won't have a clue why they can't connect to the OBD port.

2.50 for a switch , pretty sure that's cheaper than that device , and why would anyone in their right mind put those stickers on their dash.Just my opinion :)

it won't stop them pushing your car off the drive like in the Fiesta case , but it's a little extra security, against the Smart ! criminals

What do pin 6 and 14 do?

Could you not just splice into one wire?

• 2 years later...

Hi

I have a 2014 Titinium very disturbing to know that the security system is like a wet piece of toilet paper A few moons ago Fords had one of the best security system for a main stream car. Can anyone tell what is a good easy fit tracking system that you can track on your phone or computor

Interesting reading. I had assumed that deadlocks were immune to drilling but obviously not (assuming the 2012 Titanium had deadlocks).

My ST-2 has the interior alarm as well as the perimeter alarm and the perimeter alarm has been tested (by accident). I jacked the car up to fit my winter tyres and hadn't unlocked the car so after a small amount of lifting, the alarm sounded.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club