Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Sensitive Brakes - Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 82

scouserjat

I just bought a fiesta mk7 59 plate last month and I still can't seem to get the hang of the brakes.

Is it me or do these new fiestas have very sensitive brakes?.It seems to me that the slightest of overbraking and it's almost like an

emergency stop.

Does anyone have any advice or should I take it back to the dealer to have them checked out?

Hello,I have same engine as you and to be honest the brake's on mine are sharp but not to the point of it been like an emergency stop every time I have to over brake,my last few car's have been ford's so maybe I'm used to them,but for peace of mind I'd be tempted to take it to a dealer to be checked out if you're not sure...

I've driven three different mk7's and have found the brakes in all of them different. Yours sound like the first one I drove which was the dealers demo, you press them a bit and nothing much happens, you press them a bit harder and do an emergency stop. I did this a few times on the test drive but put it down to the fact that I wasn't used to new cars with decent brakes as at the time I was driving a 9 year old fiesta. My mk7 also has limited effect when pressing the pedal lightly, but then needs a fair bit of force to stop heavily. A courtesy mk7 Zetec I drove was even more different as the pedal needed a fair bit of force right from the start, it had none of the softness to it like the other two. In terms of braking power all three seem the same, it's just the pedal that feels different. I've learnt to accept that no two will be the same, and as long as they work well enough I can't see there being a problem.

My 2011 Zetec S seems to have quite progressive but heavy brakes as did another 2011 Zetec S , I test drove. My mother has a 2008 Zetec 1.25 like yourself, and the brakes on that car are very sensitive and way too sharp for my liking. It seems a bit odd to me that different examples of the same car can have such different brakes as they are the same on all models. :mellow: .

Mate, I have a 10 plate Fiesta 1.4tdci. The brakes are superb. The Modern cars these days have excellent brakes. I had a pugeot 308 on a 58 plate and the brakes were as you described. I loved the way it pulled up. \someone borrowed it and they wished they had brakes like it.

LOL you could always put a bit of grease on them :D

LOL you could always put a bit of grease on them :D

That would also fix the squeaking that happens sometimes!

I had to drive a Vauxhall (spit) combo for a couple of weeks last year and the brakes were so harsh i nearly ended up with no front teeth.

Then again the whole vehicle was a piece of crap anyway.

I’ve got the same motor on an 11 plate and the brakes take a little getting used to. You have to be gentle and it’s caught me out a couple of times. I’m used to it now but I found initially that while they were progressive and predictable but they can snatch a bit harshly by surprise at low speeds if you give it just a little too much on the pedal. It took me a while to get properly comfortable in the car (I’m a lanky git) and that went a long way to sorting it out too. I found this on an identical Fiesta hire car also so I’d say learn to use them and adjust your driving accordingly, particularly round town.

Good to see they are sharp brakes, but I have driven a few of the new fiesta's as courtesy cars, and they varied, with only 9000 ish miles on the clock, one had an uber responsive brakes, the other, well, it was like trying to brake with the engine off, seems ok, then gets resistant, then your punching the brake pedal thinking your about to plow into someones backside, and no brake pedal movement at all!

My car's going back to the dealers next week with brake issues - play in the brake pedal & occasional brake squeal.

Thanks guys for all the advice,I'll see how it's goes in the next few weeks.Over the last couple of days since I posted this topic I seem to be getting the hang of the brakes. :)

• 2 months later...

Further to my old post, Had my car serviced today, it had quite a long travel on the handbrake. They adjusted this on the service and now the brakes are a lot sharper.

So on cars with long travel on the brake pedal like mine had, It maybe something to do with the handbrake adjustment/shoe adjstment, possibly...

• 11 years later...

mine brakes are the same 14 plate very little travel stands it on it.s nose had it 3 months still can.t get used to it

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club