Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Stiff Power Steering & Now Wispy Noise From Water Pump

Joel182

Hi everyone,

Back in the winter my power steering became very stiff, when revving the engine A LOT it would make it better for about 5 minutes. Then the temperatures got better and it stopped. Last week a strange hissing/rasping noise started from one of the pulleys on the aux belt, I'm 80% sure it's from the water pump, it starts after about 2 minutes after the engine is running and turns to a constant hiss when driving fast, when driving straight with my foot down on the clutch the sound subsides, then reappears when brought back up again. The power steering is again heavy! So is it the auto tensioner at fault, the power steering pump or the water pump, or all of them? Took it to kwik fit who said it may be the power steering pump but might not be, he also said that the belt is in good condition.. Any ideas?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like I have the same noise, a 2001 1.8 tddi - I took it to a mechanic who thought it possibly is the power steering pump but he said he'd have to take off the belt to check for sure if it is that

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club