Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Zetec 2010 Suspension Type

r4963

I currently own a Focus Zetec 2010 which I recently bought second hand. Shortly before this I have a 2008 model Zetec which had a major fault and therefore I exchanged.

I have read in many places that the Focus Zetec suspension is setup as “Sports Suspension” for better handling. Although there seems to be some difference with Zetec models since 2008.

My previous 2008 mark 2.5 Focus Zetec model RJ58LNW listed the suspension on the Etis Website http://www.etis.ford.com under vehicle check as “With Handling Suspension” and “with standard rear shock absorbers”. This had the standard 16 inch alloys normal (non blacked out windows) and the seats with the black vinyl stripes on the back.

My new 2010 Focus Zetec has the more normal looking seats (without the stripes) and 16 inch wheels. On Etis it says “with standard rear shock absorbers” and “standard suspension.

Does this mean they have downgraded the suspension? It seems the 2010 Zetecs with the blacked out rear windows and 17 inch alloys are still listed on the Etis page as “with handling suspension”.

After some investigation I have found that all Focus Zetect 2008 -2009 show as “handling suspension” on Etis. But all standard 2010 forward Focus Zetec say standard unless it has the blacked out windows and larger 17 inch wheels.

I phoned up the ford technical helpline 0906 5533 447. They just said the suspension was the same for each model and only changed for the ST model. He said this was just marketing speak on Etis.

Can anyone help do all Zetec have Sport suspension? What does “handling suspension” mean? Anyone clarification would really be appreciated.

zetec suspension has 15percent stiffer springs thats it dont listen to there customer service as its been proved on here they dont have a clue about there own products. the sports suspension is stiffer springs other focis were softer sprung but had the electrohydraulic power steering to compensate

Thanks for your swift update. That makes more sense

So does that mean that all Zetec's have 15 percent Stiffer springs which is referred to as Sports suspension?

I agree the Ford customer service do not seem to know much.

Im still not entirely sure though what the "handling suspension" on the http://www.etis.ford.com website is though. All standard 2008-2009 Zetecs list it on Etis. But all 2010+ versions list "standard" suspension unless they are the ones with the blacked windows and the 17 inch alloys, in which case it still says "handling suspension".

eg 2008 Zetect on Etis

• "With Mini Steel Spare Wheel
  • With Standard Rear Shock Absorbers
  • 7.0 X 16" Alloy Road Wheel
  • 205/55VR-16 BSW Tyre
  • Locking Wheel Nuts
  • With Handling Suspension"

eg 2010 Zetec on etis

• "With Standard Rear Shock Absorbers
  • 7.0 X 16" Alloy Road Wheel
  • 205/55VR-16 BSW Tyre
  • Locking Wheel Nuts
  • Standard Electric Starter Motor
  • With Standard Suspension"

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

im sure the 2010 zetec has the electrohydraulic steering ie the 3 settings sport comfort and standard in which case its normal springs the 2008 zetec unless requested as an optional extra didnt have this but had the stiffer springs

Thanks for the info, really cleared up my confusion. Mine does not have the steering setting on the menu so must be just standard Stiffer springs "sport suspension". Its funny that my old 2008 model did. I guess it does not make much difference?

Thanks again

I think the electro-hydrolic steering in the MK 2.5 can only be found in the diesels.

The blacked out windows and larger alloys were part of an Appearance Pack.

I think the electro-hydrolic steering in the MK 2.5 can only be found in the diesels.

The blacked out windows and larger alloys were part of an Appearance Pack.

Nope, my 2008 MK 2.5 1.8L petrol Estate Titanium has electro-hydraulic steering with 3 settings. it also has standard suspension according to Etis.

Nope, my 2008 MK 2.5 petrol Estate Titanium has electro-hydraulic steering with 3 settings. it also has standard suspension according to Etis.

Well Ive learned something new yet again. Could it be only the Titanium petrols or 1.8 up petrols with that steering then? Only I didnt have it on my 09 Focus or on the current 11 Focus which are both 1.6's.

Thanks for the info, really cleared up my confusion. Mine does not have the steering setting on the menu so must be just standard Stiffer springs "sport suspension". Its funny that my old 2008 model did. I guess it does not make much difference?

Thanks again

Apparently it does, someone mentioned it on my post about eTIS.

Got it on my 1.8 mk2 Tdci sport.

Yep i definately dont havevthe hydro steering on my 2010 zetec focus.

Anyone worked out what handling suspension on etis refers to?

• 1 year later...

I have the 3 steering settings on my 2010 focus zetec s...a nice touch although im yet to make a difference between them!

The settings change the level of servo assistance on the steering.

Comfort softens the steering making it lighter.

Sport reduces assist making the steering firmer (recommended for snow/ice).

Standard speaks for itself.

Oh ace nice one. Personally I cant make any difference between them but its a nice touch and im sure beneficial to others

If the 2010 zetec s has adjustable steering control will it not have 'handling suspension'?

59 plate Zetec (1.6 petrol) here. Don't seem to have the electro-hydraulic steering setup either - for those of you that have it, where is the setting to change it?

And I think I have the stiffer springs.

It's in the settings menu in the instrument cluster where it says your mpg and outside temperature etc. shouldn't be hard to find

My 2010 Zetec S 1.6 has standard hydro power steering and shows it has handling suspension on Etis, To be fair I like the steering I have on the focus, had electric power steering on my last 3 cars and found it to be too light at times and lacked a connection with the road.

My 2010 1.6tdci has these settings didnt notic any difference when changed them to be honest.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

There is definitely a difference. Changed it to comfort - too soft, then put it to sport - too stiff, standard it is then!

I have this on my ST but can't say I noticed a massive difference when I tried it (although to be fair I only tried it for a couple of minutes).

I just stick in sport and leave it. After all the ST is meant to be a bit sporty :lol:

• 3 months later...

Hello,

My car has this "handling suspension" feature on etis and I have to replace the front struts tomorrow which is very concerning because I ordered aftermarket struts and I'm not sure if they will fit. The order was placed using the VIN.

I can only find the OEM part no for the standard suspension struts. Also I have the econetic version which has lowered suspension by 10 mm, and no information if there is a different pn for this type of lowered suspension.

In my opinion, the setting for the steering has nothing to do with "handling suspension".

Has anyone replaced OEM struts on a FF econetic 2008 ?

Thank you.

• Like 1