Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Tuning Boxes. Are They Safe / Worth It

s.jsutton

Hi all.

Been looking at diesel tuning boxes on eBay, like what I am reading, but are they safe and do they give the performance / fuel economy gains that they claim to?

Any thoughts?

Lots of people looking, but nobody posting!!!

Surely someone must have experience of these, good or bad.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Tuning boxes just modify the engine readings to the ECU.

Some people run them for years with no problems but others have problems with economy and emissions.

Personally I went with a Bluefin remap and am very happy.

Not cheap but kinder to the engine.

Tuning boxes just modify the engine readings to the ECU.

Some people run them for years with no problems but others have problems with economy and emissions.

Personally I went with a Bluefin remap and am very happy.

Not cheap but kinder to the engine.

I agree with clive,

id go for a remap it modifies more than just the fuel line to give you better performance.

Been reading up on eBay, seems from what the sellers claim that the older models just over fuelled the engine causing a lot of black smoke and some rough running sometimes resulting in fuel rails splitting from too much pressure.

They claim that the new digital models monitor revs etc and give a cleaner more balanced combustion giving better performance and fuel economy.

Was considering this route if it is safe as you can just unplug it and the vehicle is back to standard if you want sell it on.

Also if a vehicle has been remapped and is then serviced at a dealer you run the risk of losing the map if the dealer updates your ecu software. You then have to pay the tuning company to put your map back on.

Ford spent millions perfecting your Fords fueling. If those little boxes were that good dont you thing Ford would have done it too?

Yes and No, they strive to build an engine suitable for all, and give you a kind of range between bog basic and more performance, however they adjust the price tag heftily to reflect that. I think tuning boxes (if you get the right one) can be good, using the right setting will give you the best of engine life, performance and economy, and it will be noticably more powered.

I agree that Ford spend a lot of time on adjusting there engines, but with the better engines comes the better gadgets, and if you cant afford the better gadgets, then your left with the worse performance. I personally see it that just because you buy a bog basic car, the right of these boxes means you can have the more hefty price tags performance, but for a tiny fraction of the cost!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club