Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicking When Turning Off

Drich290195

Is this normal not noticed this but after i turn the engine of for about a second after it stops theirs a clicking noise is it meant to do this its a 1.8tdci engine cheers

this is the noise

th_ebdeceb4.jpg

Sounds like the fuel pump priming and keeping pressure for next start

My 1.8 petrol gives a 2 second sigh type noise after the ignition is turned off, just how I feel after a long drive. :mellow: I haven't got a clue what it is. :wacko:

So should I be worried

I'm not worried about my car having a sigh, I wouldn't worry about yours clicking, may be they should get together and form a band. :D

Somebody else on the forum had a car that was humming so between them all it's getting very musical.

Do you remember the focus advert where the musical instruments were made from car parts? Maybe Ford are now making their cars from instruments. ;)

Somebody else on the forum had a car that was humming so between them all it's getting very musical.

Do you remember the focus advert where the musical instruments were made from car parts? Maybe Ford are now making their cars from instruments. ;)

We could have a new career. :P Anybody good at multi-track recording? :rolleyes:

found it this is where the noise is coming from is this the fuel pump

IMG_0197.jpg

• Like 1

seems to have become noticable to me since i filled up

it also makes an electrical humm noise after the tick like an alarm setting

Is this normal not noticed this but after i turn the engine of for about a second after it stops theirs a clicking noise is it meant to do this its a 1.8tdci engine cheers

I noticed this exact same sound a couple of weeks ago, and I also have a 1.8 TDCi. At least I'm not the only one!

What's interesting is that mine makes the noise when I switch the ignition off - even if the engine hasn't been running.

Try it yourself - put the key in and turn to the second click (i.e. so the warning lights on the dashboard come on and the electric windows work) but don't start the engine. Then turn the ignition off, and after a second or two you'll hear the noise.

I cannot say for certain that it's the fuel pump - I don't know if it's located under the bonnet, or in the fuel tank itself (which is under the rear seats) - but from my driver's seat, it seems to come from approximately the same position as the item shown in your photo, so I'm confident that it's the same thing on both our cars.

yeah thats the same for glad to no im not the only one its def from their as i was outside when it was doing it seems to click then make a noise then clearly switch it must be normal not noticed any dramas could be just pressurising the system, the fuel pump on my old mk1 petrol pressurised as you turned the key this doesnt it seems to do it when you switch off if you know what i mean

probably cursed myself now touch wood lol

it could be the egr valve doing a self clean as i know this is the case on both the transit and my tddi

lol you make a good point mate it is obviously working cause it moves lol

again touch wood lol

it could be the egr valve doing a self clean as i know this is the case on both the transit and my tddi

But would it do this even if the engine has not been running?

On my car, it makes the sound if I just turn the ignition on and off again, without starting the engine.

My car shakes and has a whistle when she turns off just like that too. Seems pretty normal to me! I'm a 1.6 TDCi!

yeah mine turns it when i turn to position 2 and off i think its something priming itself

• 4 weeks later...

ive got like a spraying noise or something spinning quickly...ive always put it down to the injectors spraying fuel and the system priming ready for a start.