Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Question

Drich290195

did a 350 mile trip on sunday and worked out i got 48 mpg from my 1.8tdci focus doing the same trip tonight anyway i can increase this, is about 100 miles a roads the rest motorway and this was a steady 70 mph

did a 350 mile trip on sunday and worked out i got 48 mpg from my 1.8tdci focus doing the same trip tonight anyway i can increase this, is about 100 miles a roads the rest motorway and this was a steady 70 mph

I managed 52mpg during a weeks worth of driving, again mainly motorway at 70mph. Drop the speed to 60mph you'll find it will be a lot better MPG. Still I'm not getting anywhere close to the 65mpg my 1.6 diesel is meant to get

yeah they quote 66 in the manual i reckon theirs fat chance of that

yeah they quote 66 in the manual i reckon theirs fat chance of that

Of course there's fat chance!

Firstly, the fastest a car goes when being MPG tested is 56mph. As soon as you go over 56mph the MPG will start dropping. Also, the tests are conducted in wind, hill and traffic free labs.

The idea of the EU MPG tests is to give an indication of how cars perform when compared to each other. It is not necessarily what you will achieve in real life.

In recent years the difference between lab MPG and rea life MPG has also become more pronounced as manufacturer's are chasing as low a CO2 rating as possible which means that cars are being setup to run optimally in the exact test conditions at the exact test speeds with less and less emphasis on real world consumption.

Of course there's fat chance!

Firstly, the fastest a car goes when being MPG tested is 56mph. As soon as you go over 56mph the MPG will start dropping. Also, the tests are conducted in wind, hill and traffic free labs.

The idea of the EU MPG tests is to give an indication of how cars perform when compared to each other. It is not necessarily what you will achieve in real life.

In recent years the difference between lab MPG and rea life MPG has also become more pronounced as manufacturer's are chasing as low a CO2 rating as possible which means that cars are being setup to run optimally in the exact test conditions at the exact test speeds with less and less emphasis on real world consumption.

Fair point, but I could argue the toss that its like UK broadband speeds with their advertising of up to 24mbps but most people average around 10-15mbps likewise most people average around say the 40-50mpg mark doing an average drive lol!

Only got 50 again seems I can get 520 miles to a tank is this ok

Fair point, but I could argue the toss that its like UK broadband speeds with their advertising of up to 24mbps but most people average around 10-15mbps likewise most people average around say the 40-50mpg mark doing an average drive lol!

I've owned nearly 40 cars over the years and get around 85% of what manufacturers claim for combined MPG. Therefore, a car with good quoted fuel consumption (eg 60MPG) will take a bigger hit in MPG terms for the same percentage drop. For example:

Let's say that a petrol BMW does a quoted 30MPG. 85% of 30MPG is about 26MPG. Doesn't sound too bad.

No, apply the same to a diesel Fiesta quoted at 67MPG. 85% of 67MPG is about 56MPG which sounds a lot less but is broadly the same difference.

While 85% works in my case, different driving styles and driving conditions will affect this but the principle should still apply to all drivers who drive consistently. When looking at a new car or comparing your car to an older car estimate/work out the percentages and then do your comparison.

Only got 50 again seems I can get 520 miles to a tank is this ok

Doesn't sound hideous. That's about 76% of the quoted MPG. What are you trying to compare it to?

Im doing about 100 miles a day and 50% of that is urban driving and I am getting 620 mpg, mines a 1.6TDCi

Im doing about 100 miles a day and 50% of that is urban driving and I am getting 620 mpg, mines a 1.6TDCi

You indeed have the MOST efficent focus in the WORLD then my friend lol.

Wow!! I want one! :D

Im pleased with my 1.6 tdci. I get between 57-60mpg per tank

I was hoping for at least 55 from the diesel to be honest I do 800 miles a week and was wanting to cut my fuel bill after moving from a petrol. I suppose it's not too bad as 100 miles of the 250 one way journey is welsh a roads so maybe being a tad over optimistic.

Wow just over 1 gallon of diesel a week - that's IMPRESSIVE !!

I drove from junction 27 to Edinburgh the other day, and back. My friend and I were splitting the diesel so we brimmed it before and then when we got back. Worked out 54 MPG. Took it steady on the way up (60-70 Mph) but did about 80 (actual, not speedo) on the way back.

Driving on those roads off the motorway to Edinburgh made me happy to have a Focus!

well I managed this last friday night.

I reset everything after leaving the forecort. Filled her up to just over half full.

385701_10151737665105246_666475245_24187345_759853432_n.jpg

A bit more detail please Andy,. Diesel?, Speed? Motorway? Traffic hold-ups? Passengers? Loaded? Light-foot? It all make a difference, But it does look good. <_<

i just got rid of a 1800 tdci sport. on holiday last year in north yorkshire i got 58 mpg this was keeping below 60mph.i now have a 1600 tdci zetec on a61 plate just been to northumberland for a week and i only got 50 mpg .thease figures are based on the diesel iput in tank not computer.will now stop trying to drive economicaly and see what happens . not to impressed with 1600 would rather have 1800 and pay the extra rent

A bit more detail please Andy,. Diesel?, Speed? Motorway? Traffic hold-ups? Passengers? Loaded? Light-foot? It all make a difference, But it does look good. <_<

This was a fill up at Shell (just over half a tank), left the forecourt doing about 4 miles of urban driving on the tail end of rush hour to the M3 motorway, and then up the A31 and then back again at 2am in the morning. Up hill most of the way there, down hill on the way back, took advantage where possible and left it in gear but took my foot off the accelerator. Drove at 55/60 on most of roads (adhering to local speed restrictions of course!)

There was me, and a couple of bits of DJ equipment in the boot.

Even now after 350 miles of driving, doing quite a bit of urban driving vs motorway (and going a bit faster 70/80 on the motorway) and have been using the aircon the alst couple of evenings, It's still on 52.4mpg with 50 mile range left on the fuel.

Ford Focus TDCi 1.6 109ps.

This was a fill up at Shell (just over half a tank), left the forecourt doing about 4 miles of urban driving on the tail end of rush hour to the M3 motorway, and then up the A31 and then back again at 2am in the morning. Up hill most of the way there, down hill on the way back, took advantage where possible and left it in gear but took my foot off the accelerator. Drove at 55/60 on most of roads (adhering to local speed restrictions of course!)

There was me, and a couple of bits of DJ equipment in the boot.

Even now after 350 miles of driving, doing quite a bit of urban driving vs motorway (and going a bit faster 70/80 on the motorway) and have been using the aircon the alst couple of evenings, It's still on 52.4mpg with 50 mile range left on the fuel.

Ford Focus TDCi 1.6 109ps.

Um... smashed that MPG to pieces last night.

154523_10151764364330246_666475245_24294648_1974676416_n.jpg

Your all doing better than my 1.6 tdci 115bhp I'm getting 46! :(

Sounds like the driver not the car ;)

i get between 30 - 34 mpg around town driving driving steady

Sounds like the driver not the car ;)

Cheeky :)

unfortunately its usually true sara focus [fiesta indeed] lol and it depends on the route unless you drive identical routes no one will get the same mpg as another on my way to work im sitting at up to 50mpg on a petrol yet the return is all hills and i will always drop to 36-38mpg yet a workmate with the same car cant get more than 30mpg ive been behind him and he brakes too late doesnt plan ahead and sits in the wrong gears so dont feel bad :P

Hi Sara, is your car low mileage under 10k?

Jack.