Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glow Plug And Starting Issues

mcfly

Hi every one,

Im new to this forum but so far looks great so hoping can find some good advice!

I have just bought a Focus 2001 TDCI Ghia, was recently serviced and has new mot. It has done 107k miles. I drove it home over a 50 mile trip and all was fine, however the other day when i was out the glowplug light started to flash and i had a loss of power, almost like the turbo had stopped working?

I pulled over, turned off the engine, waited a moment then started it again. All seems fine now and I can use the car as normal, no problems going over 3000 revs like i have seen a few others say.

Would this just be needing new glow plugs?

Also another problem (i know, why did i buy the car!!) When i turn the key it does not start sharpish.. it seems to struggle for a second or 2 before it gets going... Sorry difficult to explain. This is the second TDCI i have owned and my last one didn't start like this. Would that be the starter motor maybe starting to fail? If helps can record it starting so you can hear what i am trying to explain.

Thank you and hope that all makes sense ans hope they are easy problems to solve and not going to sot through the roof!

the flashing glowplug light indicates a problem on the fuel side,when this happens it puts the car into limp home mode which sounds like what has happened. it could have been a one off, if it happens again get the fault codes read to see what the problem is, as for the starting problem i would get the battery and alternator checked first.

With the strating problem i agree it coould be the alternator as i had a similar problem on my vectra cdx. if it was just the sudden loss in power then yes it would be a change of glow plugs.

not sure if it is the same setup on the TDCI but i know when the glow plug light flashes along with loss of power then the majority of times it is the throttle sensor on the pedal, i had exactly the same problem. changed the pedal and its been fine ever since

Hi I would go with swhite87 on this one and also say the pedal sensor, has the glowplugs are not on when the car is running... here are some codes to look for

P0120 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Malfunction

P0120 ETS Main Throttle Position Sensor Malfunction

P0121 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Range/Performance Problem

P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input

P0123 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input

P0124 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Intermittent

Thanks for the replies guys. I shall keep an eye onthe glow plug issue and report back should it happen again after getting the codes checked.

As for the starting issue it could just be a dead battery and or the alternator then?

ps - on a side note, i am following this topic but had not been notifed that any replies had been made? is that normal?

Good luck with the plugs, on the note of the notifications, they would normally be emailed to your email address assosciated with your account. If you havent already, check your profile / control panel and see what notifications will be emailed to you.