• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Name: Eero-Pekka
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Sportvan 1.6 TDCI
  • Year: 2011

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hi!

I have a question! My fiesta mk7 which is coming this week has a original DRL system ( I don't even know how they look). Anyways I can pretty much get these LED strips and steal the supply from the originals DRL's wire? My car has this AUTO sensor thingy so during day time theres DRL and when it gets dark it puts the headlights on itself. Am I right?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 Epu

Epu

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Also  you said first that you bought led strips where did those go? If I understood correctly you ended up putting the "led rings" inside the plastic "halo" cover? Got me confused what  did you do with the strips?

#33 D13 HPD 95

D13 HPD 95

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7 1.25
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Also  you said first that you bought led strips where did those go? If I understood correctly you ended up putting the "led rings" inside the plastic "halo" cover? Got me confused what  did you do with the strips?

Epu, first he put the strips on but they looked abit tatty and converted his fogs with the halo rings and it looks a lot better! You can steal the pos supy from your drls you have on the car but you need to find the correct wire, if it is the new shape fiesta the drls are in the light housings which mean they are connected to the main wiring loom, and you will need a wiring diagram to work out which one is the pos feed to the lights if you have the mk7 2008-2012 fiesta then the drls are a separate unit in the bumper and the pos and need cables are easily to find as they as the only two not in a wiring loom just on their own i believe. Hope this helps

#34 Epu

Epu

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

Epu, first he put the strips on but they looked abit tatty and converted his fogs with the halo rings and it looks a lot better! You can steal the pos supy from your drls you have on the car but you need to find the correct wire, if it is the new shape fiesta the drls are in the light housings which mean they are connected to the main wiring loom, and you will need a wiring diagram to work out which one is the pos feed to the lights if you have the mk7 2008-2012 fiesta then the drls are a separate unit in the bumper and the pos and need cables are easily to find as they as the only two not in a wiring loom just on their own i believe. Hope this helps

Ah okey :D That helped a lot thanks. Haven't used english in a long while so couldn't make out what happened to the strips :D. Some adjectives just make me confused and in this case "tatty" didn't really know what it meant.

#35 D13 HPD 95

D13 HPD 95

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7 1.25
Contributor

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

It didnt look very nice abit odd like it was cheap and nasty

#36 M4RC

M4RC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI MK7
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Really want to do this, looks so good. Only thing is I would rather have them on all the time. I mainly drive when It's dark so I would want them on with my dipped beam aswell? Where could I wire them into? The ignition fuse/switch???

#37 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Hi!

I have a question! My fiesta mk7 which is coming this week has a original DRL system ( I don't even know how they look). Anyways I can pretty much get these LED strips and steal the supply from the originals DRL's wire? My car has this AUTO sensor thingy so during day time theres DRL and when it gets dark it puts the headlights on itself. Am I right?

M4RC. It depends on the type of relay you get. I have a similar criteria to you and managed to find a relay on eBay that had the following features - 

- daytime running lights

- dims by 30% when dipped headlight is on

- stays on for 25 seconds after turning off the engine

This seemed perfect for me so I ordered it and it arrived today :D Hope to wire it up some time soon but all the other parts are pretty much the same as the guides. You might find this link handy - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191016560305

Only thing is its a cheap relay and I just hope it lasts!

#38 M4RC

M4RC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

M4RC. It depends on the type of relay you get. I have a similar criteria to you and managed to find a relay on eBay that had the following features - 

- daytime running lights
- dims by 30% when dipped headlight is on
- stays on for 25 seconds after turning off the engine

This seemed perfect for me so I ordered it and it arrived today :D Hope to wire it up some time soon but all the other parts are pretty much the same as the guides. You might find this link handy - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191016560305

Only thing is its a cheap relay and I just hope it lasts!

Just what I need :). What LEDs did you get?

#39 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

Just what I need :). What LEDs did you get?

:) I got these ones - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330778415158 70mm white

I have tested them and they are really bright but be careful cause the wires are a bit flimsy. I actually cut the ends of that relay and re-souldered them on to the back of the LED unit and then crimped bullet connectors on either side so I can disconnect the LEDs from the relay if I need to.

#40 M4RC

M4RC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

:) I got these ones - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330778415158 70mm white

I have tested them and they are really bright but be careful cause the wires are a bit flimsy. I actually cut the ends of that relay and re-souldered them on to the back of the LED unit and then crimped bullet connectors on either side so I can disconnect the LEDs from the relay if I need to.

I'll get them ones to :). In that case I'll probably do the same, still got bullets from my footwell lights.

#41 M4RC

M4RC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

If I use these daytime running lights will I have to tell my insurance company?

#42 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

If I use these daytime running lights will I have to tell my insurance company?

Foot well lighting has to be my next project! How did you wire it up, through the roof interior light?

I would recommend telling them but it shouldn't have any impact on your insurance, if anything it will go down as its considered a security feature - but then again it is aftermarket! I had a look on gocompare and there was no category to declare DRLs or anything but I will give my insurer a call about a few recent minor changes just in case.

#43 M4RC

M4RC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

Foot well lighting has to be my next project! How did you wire it up, through the roof interior light?

I would recommend telling them but it shouldn't have any impact on your insurance, if anything it will go down as its considered a security feature - but then again it is aftermarket! I had a look on gocompare and there was no category to declare DRLs or anything but I will give my insurer a call about a few recent minor changes just in case.

Yea, through the interior light. It's pretty easy to be honest. I've also wired puddle lights. It works in well as they only come on when you unlock the car or open the doors. Also you can also turn them all off from the interior light . If you have a look on my fiesta thread you can see a pic (can't post it for some reason)

Aww okay, I'll probably phone them up just to see :)

#44 M4RC

M4RC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

What size of ring should I get? Can you put these on the inside of the fog? Think they would look bad on the outside

#45 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

What size of ring should I get? Can you put these on the inside of the fog? Think they would look bad on the outside

7mm would be best. You may be able to get them behind the glass but I haven't installed yet so havent been able to try - I would be surprised to be honest. Thats why it's best to wrap those SMD rings with some kind of plastic tubing - I have bought a BMW angel eye kit and will use that tubing to wrap my SMDs.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DRL, MK7, MK, LED, daytime lights, fiesta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users