Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,582 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7 1.25
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

To put the LEDs inside the fog light you need to bake in an oven at 180'c for 10mins to get the silicon sealant to heat up and separate allowing the glass to come away meaning you can get inside the fog, but if i was you and id rather not damage the glass so fit it on the outside, and drls wise i was to by a local mot testing station and a friend in the force, drls have to turn off when the dips are on and turn on when the ignition is on not the engine, Turning off there aint a rule for, so be carful with the relay you get, i have had mine for like 6months solid as and hasn't got a thing wrong with it and only paid 5 so a great deal.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 M4RC

M4RC

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI MK7
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

To put the LEDs inside the fog light you need to bake in an oven at 180'c for 10mins to get the silicon sealant to heat up and separate allowing the glass to come away meaning you can get inside the fog, but if i was you and id rather not damage the glass so fit it on the outside, and drls wise i was to by a local mot testing station and a friend in the force, drls have to turn off when the dips are on and turn on when the ignition is on not the engine, Turning off there aint a rule for, so be carful with the relay you get, i have had mine for like 6months solid as and hasn't got a thing wrong with it and only paid £5 so a great deal.

Think I'll leave them on the outside then haha. I'll just bullet crimp them and unplug them when I get an mot? If I have them turned off when the dipped beams on its pointless doing it tbh as I mainly drive at night

#48 D13 HPD 95

D13 HPD 95

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,582 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Thats what i did spade connections so they can be pulled out come mot time easy as :) get some pics up when you've done it?

#49 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Think I'll leave them on the outside then haha. I'll just bullet crimp them and unplug them when I get an mot? If I have them turned off when the dipped beams on its pointless doing it tbh as I mainly drive at night

So why do you need to disconnect them for your MOT? If you really need to your best bet would be to disconnect the fuse - nice and quick! I fitted the relay today and really pleased with it. Red cable with fuse to positive, black cable to earth behind the fuse box and have joined the white wire with the left hand side headlight wire. Don't bother connecting the sidelight wires on the relay - not even sure what they do! I tested the voltages in the bullet connectors and working really nice.

I haven't connected the LEDs just yet because it seems like its gonna be a pain to get the fog lamps off - the right hand fog lamp looks like I have to get under the car to remove the washer fluid bottle to get to the bottom screw? Also, one of my LED rings wire has disconnected because it's too thin and flimsy so will resoulder some new wire on when I'm back home.

I have run the longest wire underneath the plastics along the front of the car past the bonnet latch and its hidden perfectly and comes out right next to the fog lamp assembly so plenty of room with that relay I linked you to.

#50 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,569 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

TO remove fog lights just take the headlamps out and go in from above.

#51 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

TO remove fog lights just take the headlamps out and go in from above.

Yeah I did that but seemed almost impossible to get to the lower left torx as it's right by the washer bottle. Any ideas?

#52 M4RC

M4RC

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

If there connected to pos/neg of the battery surely they will be on all the time? Other that when the relay turnes them off when dipped beam is on?

#53 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

If there connected to pos/neg of the battery surely they will be on all the time? Other that when the relay turnes them off when dipped beam is on?

Surprisingly not - not sure how the relay is working but they do switch off after about a minute :) Also if you are getting the same relay as me they are not turned off when dipped beam is on but dimmed by 30%.

#54 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

OK quick update on this one. It's taken me a while because I was waiting for the DRL's to turn up so I could use the casing - I didn't want exposed LED's and it was looking naff anyway. When the DRL's finally turned up (after about 3 weeks) I quickly realised I hadn't checked the size and they were way too big - no way the plastic was going to bend into shape either but I still tried to give it a go so ruined any chances of me sending them back.

:iim:

Anyway, I ordered some new 70mm bike ones and they are much better. The casing pretty much houses the SMD LEDs and then the rest of the board can be fully attached and made water tight using silicone. Emptying out the casing of the existing DRL was pretty simple - there is a foil film that is held down with glue. You just need to pry away the glue, take out the film by edging along it with a knife or something and then once the film is off pull the DRL ring out. You could always use that filament for something.... not sure yet though?!

So, back of the home made DRL -

2014-01-16%2022.00.58-1.jpg

Front of the home made DRL - 

2014-01-16%2022.01.23-1.jpg

Now all I need to do is wait for a nice dry weekend (please be this one!) where I can take my headlights out, get down into the fog light assembly, take that out, push the DRL in first and then put the fog light back in place. Connect up the bullet connectors and we are ready to go. Only thing is I'm still not sure how to get to the lower torx on the passenger side fog - might have to take the washer bottle and get under the car to do it!

I mentioned in a previous post that I have already got the relay in place so I have tested it and its working nicely - just need the lights to go with! Will update again once they are installed!

#55 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Also worth mentioning that I put silicone on the back of the SMD LEDs just to stop them from getting wet and causing any damage. I also changed the wires going into the circuit because the previous ones were flimsy and practically fell off!

#56 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,936 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

how bright are these when powered?

#57 D13 HPD 95

D13 HPD 95

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,582 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

how bright are these when powered?

you can see them comming towards you but wont light up the road, the light beam is maybe a metre and a half at a push not very bright but look amazing when stood next to them :D

#58 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,936 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Sounds good!

#59 chrispage1

chrispage1

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

OK so just an update... I got these fitted, the relay is working well and the DRL's look great. I haven't had a chance to take a decent picture yet though so watch this space! The only thing I would say with my relay in particular is that the '25 second coming home function' seems to be more like 5 minutes! I presume it must run off of a temporary battery that has been charged while the engine is on and because they are LED's they are quite efficient so stay bright for some time.

#60 M4RC

M4RC

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Looking good! I've bought the Asian grill and was gonna put the Mercedes style DRLs into the inserts but don't think there going to fit to well. Have you got a link to the leds and casing you bought? Might consider getting them. Look forward to seeing the photo too! :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DRL, MK7, MK, LED, daytime lights, fiesta

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users