Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 Fiesta Drl Idea

selway89

Can anyone tell me if the following has been done before? If so anyone got any pics of it?

I'm looking to get some of these LED fog lights : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-LED-Front-Fog-Lights-Lamps-2008-onwards-/330722694215?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d009bd447#ht_500wt_1413

Then to control them using : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-DRL-DAYTIME-RUNNING-LIGHT-AUTO-SWITCH-RELAY-DIMMER-OFF-DIM-BEAM-/230789015424?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bc18e780#ht_906wt_1396

Not decided if I would have them go out completely or to dim when side lights come on.

I really fancy some DRL for my car but find the LED strips really tacky.

Any thoughts on this setup? I'll probably doing it next month.

Cheers

James

As long as they'll fit then fair enough; just not sure how the police would class them (may say you're driving with fogs) and not sure on the legal bits and bobs of removing fog lights if they were standard.

DRLs that look like fog lights but are actually DRLs are legal (eg. round and low in the bumper) - I think Skoda does it like that on some new cars.

DRLs which ARE fog lights is another matter.

Unless the brightness and general aim of the LED fogs is adjusted, they will probably still function like fog lights and then if you drive in anything more than 100m visibility you're technically breaking the highway code and could potentially be stopped and fined for it.

Chances are, like most of the people who drive around with fog lights on when they don't need them, you won't get pulled but you will annoy the hell out of other road users (and specifically me if I come across you on the road).

You might be better getting some round DRL units which fit in place of the fog lights, although I'm still sceptical about DIY installed DRLs altogether.

2 Options, take the headlight apart and mount some DRL's inside the headlight unit, or take apart the fog light's and put a halo ring round the outside. Those should work, be fine, legal and dandy. Downside, I've done this before on headlights, you really need to know what you're doing (i.e. a clear plan of where things are going) or you're gonna write off a good set of headlights. An option maybe is go to the scrappers, doesn't matter what condition the lights are in, even if broken lenses.

Have only ever seen drls retrofitted that look any good on Naths mk7 think he took his headlights apart and fitted halo drls around the main beam lens. Looks good best I've seen so far

Have only ever seen drls retrofitted that look any good on Naths mk7 think he took his headlights apart and fitted halo drls around the main beam lens. Looks good best I've seen so far

You're too kind ;)

You're too kind ;)

I'm serious thinking of hacking up a set to do mine that way as I don't like the beaded type or the legal issues around having them in the fog lights or the look of them

Agreed, the little beads are a bit meh; I'll have a close look tomorrow and see if any of the strips (not beads) can be used inside, otherwise the halo's are probably best.

They're the genuine Ford ones, they're really not a good look in person, saw some earlier and was like I'd never have them near my car.

And they're £275 which is mental! Mine were £30 + a tube of silicone! Not that I'd advise anyone to attempt hacking their lights to pieces like I did :blink:

I would rather buy these ones:

http://www.european-...roducts_id=1286

In my opinion the ones from MS Design overcomplicates the look of the car...

They should have been withdrawn from sale due to MOT failures - manufacturer has sad it may be 6months before issue is rectified.

They should have been withdrawn from sale due to MOT failures - manufacturer has sad it may be 6months before issue is rectified.

What was wrong with the head lights?

What was wrong with the head lights?

Lots of MOT failures from what I've heard - something to do with the beam or pattern being too high I believe.

Lots of MOT failures from what I've heard - something to do with the beam or pattern being too high I believe.

I was about to order some...Europeanparts mention that they will get the headlights back in stock in August...let's see what happens.

Any idea if you can mod them to be legal? I have a set I got for £30 on fleabay.

swap them back over with your old ones when MOT comes....

Yeah but that won't keep me busy over an evening :P

And they're £275 which is mental! Mine were £30 + a tube of silicone! Not that I'd advise anyone to attempt hacking their lights to pieces like I did :blink:

Yeh been thinking about the silicone. aladite or some sort of superglue should work just as well

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was kind of hoping that with them being where the fogs are they would be a little more OEM looking and not cause much bother.

But then again it could be thought to be having fogs on all the time.

The only other method I can think of is modifying the indicator bulbs to LED switch back. These switch from white to flashing amber then return back to white as DRL.

Peoples thoughts on this setup?

Hmm they are very tempting the fog ones. But at the same time I don't want to be annoying the hell out of people thinking im driving around with my fogs on all the time.

But then again the new Toyota and Volvo cars have them....

As for the one I linked in the video, I believe this was done using some different bulb holders such as these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAY15D-Replacement-Bulb-Holder-Stop-Tail-Brake-DRL-Light-1157-380-P21-5W-2057-/140663504753?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c032bf71#ht_2445wt_1396

And then some switch back leds like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1157-2357-60-SMD-LED-Switchback-Lights-Hyundai-/120911204664?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c26de9138#ht_4271wt_1163

It will have to wait till next month before I can really do anything anyway.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club