Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Anyone Else Had This Sorta Problems

Gemma1984

Hi guys and gals I have a 06 plate focus and have had nothing but problems with it it's only just come up for a year that I've had the car so warranty is out I'm hoping I can get some hints n tips from you guys firstly my starter motor went and got replaced then my battery light, hand brake light (hand brake was off) started flashing at me then my speedo stops working and it does this a while before they checked it out it has had alternator replace a week ago and now it has engine management light on with car in safety mode, I know your thinking get a new car me too but thoughtnid ask advice firstly if things will get better as I like my car and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problems as me ? And should I get rid of my car or bear with all the problems?

Thanks in advance for replys :-) xxx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gemma1984

• Stoney871

• NorthSussex

• Lenny

Hi guys and gals I have a 06 plate focus and have had nothing but problems with it it's only just come up for a year that I've had the car so warranty is out I'm hoping I can get some hints n tips from you guys firstly my starter motor went and got replaced then my battery light, hand brake light (hand brake was off) started flashing at me then my speedo stops working and it does this a while before they checked it out it has had alternator replace a week ago and now it has engine management light on with car in safety mode, I know your thinking get a new car me too but thoughtnid ask advice firstly if things will get better as I like my car and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problems as me ? And should I get rid of my car or bear with all the problems?

Hi Gemma,

i dont know for sure what the source of the fault could be,

but it would seem to me that it could be a bad earth feed or the previous altinator that was or is causing spikes of electricity in the electrics and slowly shorting things out on the car such as the hand brake sensor and the speedo cluster,

all of these items are fed and controled by the cars GEM an electronic mother board that controls the cars sensors and clusters.

the pulsing of your old altinator or a bad earth feed could have caused iregular current and shorted some of chip resulting in this chain of events.

the fuse would only blow if for example the current of the fuse was 15amps and the powe went over 15amps the fuse would blow to protect the electrics,

but their is nothing to stop the power fluctuating between 0amp and 15amps and this can cause whats called spikes, a surge of power that can cook your electrics.

id have all of the earth points checked on the car,

i have the haynes manual for the 2005-2010 model, ill have a look later and find out where all of the earth points are and ill list them on here for you to check, as i think it is a dodgy earth feed causing the power to fluctuate, and if its not a bad earth then i reckon the old altinator has dammaged the GEM,

if you require a new Gem they can be expensive but i think the ELM327 software available to download on here,

would allow you to purchase a GEM second hand and programme it to suit your car by copy the settings from the existing one and writing them to the new one.

it may not be the Gem either but this is all my theroy on the problems you are having.

however others may be able to advise differently.

With it's history of problems I think it will give you sleepless nights, my advise is get it fixed then move it on; there's nothing worse than a unreliable car. :huh:

Couldnt agree with you more stormin, It was the best decision I made with my car, and life was a lot more peaceful afterwards!

I'd like to thank all you lovely guys for help and advice I pick my nee car up on wed but unfortunately the dealership could only exchange it for a newer Astra :-S xx

Good luck with the Astra, hopefully now you can look forward to many years of happy motoring. :)

Thank you stormin :-) does this mean that I can't be in ford club now? :-S xxx

Thank you stormin :-) does this mean that I can't be in ford club now? :-S xxx

No reason why not, I've learnt a lot about cars in general since I joined the club, we do have a member still with us, ex Focus and now a Ceed owner. Stay on-board Gemma. :rolleyes:

Will do as long as the banter is good lol :-) xx

hehe, he means me :P :rolleyes:

lol, I still find its nice to offer something to the table now and then, its still a great environment :)

Plus, here your never short of a few laughs!

hehe, he means me :P :rolleyes:

lol, I still find its nice to offer something to the table now and then, its still a great environment :)

Plus, here your never short of a few laughs!

Jeebo, yep you've got it in one. :D

Classic all I can bring to the table is good looks but that's no help with cars lol xx

then we need pics plz, :D :P :lol:

It's not allowing me to load from my iPad :-( or can some send me steps on how to do it p,ease :-) xx

The banter is always lively here.

We're all a bit loopy.

I'll come and take some pics for you if you like.

:P

Don't tell the Missus though ;)

Haha I'm sure you could :-P but I managed to get one on glad to here banter being lively :-) x

You'd just have a hell of a long way to travel stoney lol :-P x

I've just travelled back from Cyprus with no sleep since 8am yesterday and back to work tomorrow.

A trip up there would be a doddle.

LOL :P

Haha was it nice? We were sitting in 23-24c heat all week and at one point was even 31c :-O so safe to say I'm tanned lol x

Cracking weather.

The wife looks like she's been rubbed down with wood stain.

Cracking weather.

The wife looks like she's been rubbed down with wood stain.

Haha wood stain, how nice of you stoney! I wish i tanned, i just burn and go white again. So i opt for the more expensive and safe way of getting tan from a bottle! ^_^

Gemma I just noticed that you're from Aberdeenshire too! Where about are you?

Hey there luv I'm newhills you? I get the pleasure of nice golden brown :-) sorry just had to add that in x

Haha wood stain, how nice of you stoney! I wish i tanned, i just burn and go white again. So i opt for the more expensive and safe way of getting tan from a bottle! ^_^

The little lady gets a tan when she opens the fridge. ;)

I'm not a sun person myself.

Classic stoney, :-) I think I may actually like this site :-P x