Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 Zetec S Petrol Vs Diesel

hock123

Hey everyone just wondering wat your opinions were, on wats the best, the diesel tdci zetec s or the petrol. As I've just bought a frozen white petrol zetec s.

Depends how many miles you do as to which is best for you.

Apparently if you do less than 10,000 miles or so per year then you would be better off with the petrol taking into account fuel prices, mpg & the initial higher cost of the diesel. Not to mention problems with the DPF on the newer diesel engines if you don't go on a good run now & again to burn off the soot.

Hmmm... maybe I should have bought the petrol after all?

Kind of convinces me even more to trade up to the new ST next year or soon after.

As Nathan says its mainly about how many miles you cover in a year, I'd add to that also which characteristics you prefer, in my diesel I just enjoy driving slower and watching the average fuel consumption figures, on this tank i'm averaging 61.7 mpg with a mixture of A roads and town driving which I think is incredible. If your thrill is gearing down and taking the engine upto 6000rpm when ur passing stuff go for the petrol unit.

There is also another thing to consider, with rising fuel prices when its time to change the diesel will probably retain more of its value.

Hey everyone just wondering wat your opinions were, on wats the best, the diesel tdci zetec s or the petrol. As I've just bought a frozen white petrol zetec s.

Well I have had both. A Mk 7 Fiesta Titanium manual 1.6TDCI and a Titanium 1.4 petrol Auto. I had to go to a petrol to get the auto box of course but apart from that, I found the 1.6TDCI was very good with huge amounts of torque, not particularly noisy and very economical. If I went back to a manual again (which I doubt) it would definitely be a diesel if the Fiesta is anything to go by. My ideal would be a diesel with an auto box which is still unavailable as far as I know. The only criteria in my case is that I do very short journeys during which the engine hardly warms up which is not good for a diesel owing to the particulate filter getting clogged.

Diesel is nice but not exactly speedy; necessary though for me; 8 months old and already in for the first service Monday :P

no someone with a tdci and i've got the newer s1600 and got to say that the wee tdci is no bad on the take off but then the petrol in higher revs makes the difference but apart from that its no too bad a engine. i would take a tdci over a 120 petrol ZS tho

Cant really say which is best im afraid!

ive had both 1.6's; started with tdci then took a punt with the petrol as i didnt do that many miles.

i miss the laidback style of driving with the diesel as the torque did all the work for you (and so didnt have to change gear as often), and felt much more muscular/relentless. However it ran out of puff too quickly when you ultimately wanted to really get going!

The petrols better for that but as its quite gutless lower down the revs, i find its worse than the turbo lag of the diesel as you have to wait for more revs to rise!

I know it requires a different driving style,using the gears etc but its a bit weedy and you can still get caught out.

I still love how the petrols quieter as the fiesta is a bit of a noisy car in general, and it is slightly less nose heavy through corners,

but i do miss (on motorway terms) that the you could be fast and eco in the diesel: 80mph ~ >45mpg, whilst i sit at 70mph max for aaages in the petrol to get 43mpg!

• 3 months later...

I get 48-49 mpg on the motorway in my ZS petrol, cruising at 70. It's super smooth but it you need to speed up if you want power. If you approach a hill at 70 you have to change down into fourth or else you will deaccerarte to about 50, but take the hill at 80-90 the revs will be over 3500 rpm and you will have the power to not only hold your speed but accelerate up a hill

After owning a petrol for +1 year I can clearly say that the diesel is the one to choose if you want fuel efficiency.

• 1 month later...

I'm really struggling to decide between the petrol or the diesel. Think it may end up being the petrol as I really want the street pack. Currently have an 11 plate focus 1.6 115 tdci and I love the engine. Just wish they did the street pack on the diesel!

That's true, the Zetec-S Street Pack which is exclusive to the petrol looks the business with those spanner style 17" alloys and the fact that the petrol unit is silly smooth, quiet and responsive, and put your foot down and it really shifts when you need it to. I'm averaging 42 mpg which is about 70% motorway 30% urban. Wouldn't swap it for anything.

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of getting one but I'm not sure about the deisel. I drive long distances but like the speed.

I'm thinking of getting one but I'm not sure about the deisel. I drive long distances but like the speed.

A) speed isn't everything ;)

B) take the facelift Fiesta for example, top speed of 1.6 diesel 112mph, petrol is 114mph

C) a diesel feels faster when accelerating due to the extra torque

D) see point A, you can't use speed everywhere :P