#1 suddste

suddste

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus LX 1.6L 37,000 mls

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hello,

I'm looking to save some money by fixing things and servicing myself for things like changing the oil etc.

I've been looking on ways to get under the car and ive found you can buy drive-up ramps to work under the car.

So i've found this: http://www.amazon.co...pd_rhf_dp_p_t_2

Would this work on the focus?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

they look more like level ramps for caravans, what you require is a set of car ramps

#3 suddste

suddste

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

they look more like level ramps for caravans, what you require is a set of car ramps

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

this?

#4 fordieashx

fordieashx

Ford Traitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Name: Ashleigh
  • Ford Model: Ex Fiesta Zetec S 30th Anniversary Owner
  • Year: 2008

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

That's the ones.

If your car's lowered you might have to get longer ones (speaking from experience.) If not take your time, as my car isn't lowered and it only just managed to get up the ramps.

#5 suddste

suddste

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

That's the ones.

If your car's lowered you might have to get longer ones (speaking from experience.) If not take your time, as my car isn't lowered and it only just managed to get up the ramps.

yeah thats what I was worried about. I was also worried about how you actually get the car up those "steps"? Do you have to burn the clutch out just to get up one notch?

#6 fordieashx

fordieashx

Ford Traitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Name: Ashleigh
  • Ford Model: Ex Fiesta Zetec S 30th Anniversary Owner

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

yeah thats what I was worried about. I was also worried about how you actually get the car up those "steps"? Do you have to burn the clutch out just to get up one notch?

Well in all honesty I made my boyfriend do that part! ^_^ Just set the ramps out, get the bite, then slowly put on the gas (obviously so you don't go shooting off!) but you should be fine.

#7 suddste

suddste

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Well in all honesty I made my boyfriend do that part! ^_^ Just set the ramps out, get the bite, then slowly put on the gas (obviously so you don't go shooting off!) but you should be fine.

haha, thanks

#8 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,136 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
Contributor

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

i bought a set of ramps for halfords, in my experience i have to put small bits of flagstone pavements/bricks infront so that the bottom of the bumper is clear. takes a little driving skill and common sense but the stopper at the end of the ramp pretty much stops you going too far.

like i say with mine i put bricks/flagstone pieces down, stop the car on the top of those. then drive up the ramp...the bit i dont like is thinking your going too far at the top but your good...always use a spotter!

#9 suddste

suddste

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

i bought a set of ramps for halfords, in my experience i have to put small bits of flagstone pavements/bricks infront so that the bottom of the bumper is clear. takes a little driving skill and common sense but the stopper at the end of the ramp pretty much stops you going too far.

like i say with mine i put bricks/flagstone pieces down, stop the car on the top of those. then drive up the ramp...the bit i dont like is thinking your going too far at the top but your good...always use a spotter!

how did you find getting up the ramp "steps"? I'm a bit worried about that for burning the clutch out lol

#10 ijustwantafile

ijustwantafile

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Name: mike
  • Ford Model: focus titanium

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Yeah I was going to say those things will just get pushed out of the way unless something stops them from moving!

Just make sure everything is safe before sticking any body parts under the car!!

Looking on amazon these look like they'd provide enough room to have a decent look under the car to work.

http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sim_auto_5

#11 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

this?

i was gonna buy a set like this but my dad told me not at they aint that safe - they move whilst your trying to get up the ramp - he's a machanic and used to work on the streets before he got himself a garage with a pit. use a jack and some axle stands which is much safer. i bought these:

http://www.halfords....source=shopping

prefered them over the ratchet version.

#12 Haz93

Haz93

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Name: Harrison
  • Ford Model: Audi A5 Cabriolet + Mini Cooper
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

As my dad has a set of these ramps he used to use on his Landy defender, I thought I would put them to use as he sold the Landy about 15 years ago haha. I managed to get on the ramps fine, didn't show any sign of moving. However when coming off the ramps (the car was reversed on)
The lowest part of the Zetec s bumper scraped on the ramps causing some scratches underneath (not visible unless you get down on hands and knees).
Those ones look a bit steeper so may have the same problem I had even without the rear diffuser

#13 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

you can get extensions for low cars
http://www.tooled-up....asp?PID=174870

#14 suddste

suddste

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

i was gonna buy a set like this but my dad told me not at they aint that safe - they move whilst your trying to get up the ramp - he's a machanic and used to work on the streets before he got himself a garage with a pit. use a jack and some axle stands which is much safer. i bought these:

http://www.halfords....source=shopping

prefered them over the ratchet version.

the thing with jacks and stands is that I have no idea how you jack the car up properly lol

#15 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,750 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

If you have a machine mart nearby they sell the ramps (2 sizes) and also the extensions

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users