Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 7 Automatic Car Wash Alert !

Magenta
聽Share

I took my Mk 7 to an automatic car wash today for the first time in two years. I was horrified to see the petrol flap come open during the wash. Presumably pushed in by the brush action. As there isn't a filler cap behind I am worrried about how much water has gone into the tank ! It has run ok so far.

Anyone else had this happen ?

Not the petrol flap. But a few years ago i stupidly took my Focus ST through and it ripped the aerial right off. Think there's a lesson there somewhere ? 馃槼

I took my Mk 7 to an automatic car wash today for the first time in two years. I was horrified to see the petrol flap come open during the wash. Presumably pushed in by the brush action. As there isn't a filler cap behind I am worrried about how much water has gone into the tank ! It has run ok so far.

Anyone else had this happen ?

Isn't there a little flap that only opens when a fuel pump nozzle is pushed against it - so I think you should be okay, although how water tight it is I don't know.

They do tell you to take the ariels off though >_> no water should have got in so don't worry too much.

Have a look at your paint work under a bright light. There will will hundreds of swirll marks on it. Car washes are the devil I tell ya. Use the 2 bucket method for car washing only.

I would never take any of my cars through a brush car wash, the Jet wash it about as far as I go in cold winter weather when its too cold to do it myself. My method is to hose the car then use zip wax car shampoo to in a large bucket of water and sponge n hose the car down again making sure I rinse off all the debris. After all that I use an old bath towel which is the same colour as my car to dry it, I find that way much quicker than using a leather. After the car is dry always make sure to apply amorall tyre shine and then black any external plasitcs if they need it, end result a nice clean white fiesta :D

Isn't there a little flap that only opens when a fuel pump nozzle is pushed against it - so I think you should be okay, although how water tight it is I don't know.

Thanks, good point, I had forgotten that. I'll check there's no water lying around the inner flap.

I refuse to put my car through a car wash, It's like washing other peoples dirt into your car and not to mention the scratches they cause

My method is to hose the car then use zip wax car shampoo to in a large bucket of water and sponge n hose the car down again making sure I rinse off all the debris.

A Sponge will cause a lot of swirls on the car too

Wash mitts with the 2 bucket method after an initial snow foam and light rinse is probably the safest way.

The issue with a lot of automatic washes and even self service jet wash, besides nasty brushes, is that the chemicals used are very strong and strip wax. I occasionally use the supermarket just wash in the winter but only with the de-mineralised water option, not the super strong jet or the shampoo.