Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.4 Auto - Marello
  • Year: 2009

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

I took my Mk 7 to an automatic car wash today for the first time in two years. I was horrified to see the petrol flap come open during the wash. Presumably pushed in by the brush action. As there isn't a filler cap behind I am worrried about how much water has gone into the tank ! It has run ok so far.
Anyone else had this happen ?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Mikemp3

Mikemp3

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST 180
  • Year: 2013

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Not the petrol flap. But a few years ago i stupidly took my Focus ST through and it ripped the aerial right off. Think there's a lesson there somewhere ? 😳

#3 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,676 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto
  • Year: 2011

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

I took my Mk 7 to an automatic car wash today for the first time in two years. I was horrified to see the petrol flap come open during the wash. Presumably pushed in by the brush action. As there isn't a filler cap behind I am worrried about how much water has gone into the tank ! It has run ok so far.
Anyone else had this happen ?

Isn't there a little flap that only opens when a fuel pump nozzle is pushed against it - so I think you should be okay, although how water tight it is I don't know.

#4 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,514 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

They do tell you to take the ariels off though >_> no water should have got in so don't worry too much.

#5 H3lly

H3lly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Name: k
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus
  • Year: 2003

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Have a look at your paint work under a bright light. There will will hundreds of swirll marks on it. Car washes are the devil I tell ya. Use the 2 bucket method for car washing only.

#6 Maleforce

Maleforce

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI 95
  • Year: 2012

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

I would never take any of my cars through a brush car wash, the Jet wash it about as far as I go in cold winter weather when its too cold to do it myself. My method is to hose the car then use zip wax car shampoo to in a large bucket of water and sponge n hose the car down again making sure I rinse off all the debris. After all that I use an old bath towel which is the same colour as my car to dry it, I find that way much quicker than using a leather. After the car is dry always make sure to apply amorall tyre shine and then black any external plasitcs if they need it, end result a nice clean white fiesta :D

#7 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.4 Auto - Marello
  • Year: 2009

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Isn't there a little flap that only opens when a fuel pump nozzle is pushed against it - so I think you should be okay, although how water tight it is I don't know.

Thanks, good point, I had forgotten that. I'll check there's no water lying around the inner flap.

#8 Marcr1

Marcr1

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: S1600

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

I refuse to put my car through a car wash, It's like washing other peoples dirt into your car and not to mention the scratches they cause

#9 Redspudder

Redspudder

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus
Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

My method is to hose the car then use zip wax car shampoo to in a large bucket of water and sponge n hose the car down again making sure I rinse off all the debris.

A Sponge will cause a lot of swirls on the car too

#10 colin79666

colin79666

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Name: Colin
  • Ford Model: Had a Fiesta Titanium 1.4

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Wash mitts with the 2 bucket method after an initial snow foam and light rinse is probably the safest way.

The issue with a lot of automatic washes and even self service jet wash, besides nasty brushes, is that the chemicals used are very strong and strip wax. I occasionally use the supermarket just wash in the winter but only with the de-mineralised water option, not the super strong jet or the shampoo.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users