Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta Test Drive ?

Christopher321

Hi All,

I’m looking to possibly change my 08 Focus Estate - as I’m doing more miles, and don’t need such a big car now - for a new 5 door 1.6 TDCI Titanium Fiesta.

I have contacted 4 or 5 main dealers about a test drive - all of whom have been unable to forfil my request. All have said there are no 1.6 diesels available for test drives (“But you can try a 1.25 petrol Sir…..”). Surely Ford must have some at a central location somewhere?

Has anybody else had this problem?

As I haven’t been able to experience the engine myself I would be grateful if any 1.6 TDCI owners could answer a couple of general questions.

Firstly my daily commute (30 miles each way) is 50 - 60 mph on A roads - what rpm does the engine do in top gear at this kind of speed?

Secondly I know the fuel tank is approximately 45 litres - what is the most litres you’ve been able to refill, and what sort of range are you getting on a full tank?

And just finally - has anybody managed to get a discount?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi All,

I’m looking to possibly change my 08 Focus Estate - as I’m doing more miles, and don’t need such a big car now - for a new 5 door 1.6 TDCI Titanium Fiesta.

I have contacted 4 or 5 main dealers about a test drive - all of whom have been unable to forfil my request. All have said there are no 1.6 diesels available for test drives (“But you can try a 1.25 petrol Sir…..”). Surely Ford must have some at a central location somewhere?

As I haven’t been able to experience the engine myself I would be grateful if any 1.6 TDCI owners could answer a couple of general questions.

Firstly my daily commute (30 miles each way) is 50 - 60 mph on A roads - what rpm does the engine do in top gear at this kind of speed?

Secondly I know the fuel tank is approximately 45 litres - what is the most litres you’ve been able to refill, and what sort of range are you getting on a full tank?

Thanks in advance

Chris

From memory the car revs at around 2000rpm at 50 to 60mph in top, the fuel tank on the TDCI is 40 litres and I'm currently getting around 48 to 49mpg (about 420 miles to the tank)

I went down to my local ford dealer in Plymouth to test drive a 1.25 Zetec and ended up driving a 1.6 D Zetec s because thats all they had in that day. The day after i test drove the 1.25 petrol and in my honest opinion i noticed no difference other than noise. I would keep onto them about the 1.6 but go and drive the 1.25 just for the feel of the car.

Thanks for the info guys.

Inked - I thought it would be a bit lower than 2000 rpm. It seems top is geared a bit short. Driving carefully I'm getting 52 - 55 mpg average in my Focus (10k on the clock). Not sure if switching would really save that much in fuel?

Basingstoke Ford had a 1.6TDCi in last week for test driving. Deal Drivers have this model in titanium for £11,500

Basingstoke Ford had a 1.6TDCi in last week for test driving. Deal Drivers have this model in titanium for £11,500

Yep, they saved me over £2200 over list price before the prices went up last week. Tried the local dealer, couldn't get near.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi chris

i have the 1.6TDCI titanium in FLEM GREEN and overall its a fantastic car

The revs are between 2000 and 2300 approx for 50-60mph and 2500 for 70

Not sure why ford didnt put a 6th gear on.

Noise intrusion is limited and once on the Motorway you hardly notice it. There is however noticeable road noise that comes into the cabin, depending on what road surface your on. Particularly evident when sitting in the back

MPG...well my wife is an ex honda driver so she doesnt know how to accelerate hard, and the car is doing 47.1 mpg at the moment. that is just after a 240 motorway drive not going over 70 and setting the cruise control for lengthy periods at 60. So im a bit disappointed really. Had the garage check the car and they say it will improve by the time the car hits 1500 miles. well it hasnt cause weve done about 2400 miles so far.

So much for the acclaimed 67mpg. God help anyone who buys the econetic version based on the government figures.

Anyway to sum up its a great car to drive, performance is adequate but no where near as nippy as my clio 1.5DCI 100psi. Noise intrusion kept to a minimum but can intrude sometimes but mainly road noise.

Biggest problem so far is a rather annoying rattle from the drivers side air vent which the ford garage say they cant find. well ive resorted to bluetac stuck inside the air vent for now...not ideal.

The mp3 usb player is fab but why you cant control the album lists off the steering wheel beggers belief. you have to take your hands off the wheel which is pointless.

Voice activation works a charm but it cant understand the wife saying "Phone". ?Just her tho.

Im thinking of getting one myself or the Alfa Mito but not sure what engine to go for so thats how impressed i am with it.

I have the 1.4 petrol and after 3,500 miles and driving most of my miles at 60-70 on dual carridge ways and motorways Im not gettign near the MPG ford say, in fact my old mk 6 1.4 petrol gave me better MPG and it was heavier!

It's not uncommon that you won't get near the oficial figures as they are done under test conditions, not "real life" general driving.

I have the 1.4 petrol and after 3,500 miles and driving most of my miles at 60-70 on dual carridge ways and motorways Im not gettign near the MPG ford say, in fact my old mk 6 1.4 petrol gave me better MPG and it was heavier!

Let the sectret out. whats yor mpg. Thanks

Hi chris

i have the 1.6TDCI titanium in FLEM GREEN and overall its a fantastic car

The revs are between 2000 and 2300 approx for 50-60mph and 2500 for 70

Not sure why ford didnt put a 6th gear on.

Noise intrusion is limited and once on the Motorway you hardly notice it. There is however noticeable road noise that comes into the cabin, depending on what road surface your on. Particularly evident when sitting in the back

MPG...well my wife is an ex honda driver so she doesnt know how to accelerate hard, and the car is doing 47.1 mpg at the moment. that is just after a 240 motorway drive not going over 70 and setting the cruise control for lengthy periods at 60. So im a bit disappointed really. Had the garage check the car and they say it will improve by the time the car hits 1500 miles. well it hasnt cause weve done about 2400 miles so far.

So much for the acclaimed 67mpg. God help anyone who buys the econetic version based on the government figures.

Anyway to sum up its a great car to drive, performance is adequate but no where near as nippy as my clio 1.5DCI 100psi. Noise intrusion kept to a minimum but can intrude sometimes but mainly road noise.

Biggest problem so far is a rather annoying rattle from the drivers side air vent which the ford garage say they cant find. well ive resorted to bluetac stuck inside the air vent for now...not ideal.

The mp3 usb player is fab but why you cant control the album lists off the steering wheel beggers belief. you have to take your hands off the wheel which is pointless.

Voice activation works a charm but it cant understand the wife saying "Phone". ?Just her tho.

Im thinking of getting one myself or the Alfa Mito but not sure what engine to go for so thats how impressed i am with it.

Hi dja55

Thanks for your comments, very interesting....

It sounds as you say the engine could do with an extra gear - then it may be able to get closer to its claimed mpg figures?

Rattles (and the hassle of getting them fixed) really spoil a new car, I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Did you manage to test drive the 1.6 TDCI before you bought?

Cheers

Chris

Hi dja55

Thanks for your comments, very interesting....

It sounds as you say the engine could do with an extra gear - then it may be able to get closer to its claimed mpg figures?

Rattles (and the hassle of getting them fixed) really spoil a new car, I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Did you manage to test drive the 1.6 TDCI before you bought?

Cheers

Chris

No chris i didnt get to test drive the diesel as car had just been released and they only had the petrol versions in. i was really interested in the suspension/ride quality as im really a diesel man through and through. The ride is really very very good. It laughs in the face of potholes and rough roads as the suspension absorbs them with ease.

The petrol i drove seemed a bit lacklustre in comparison, i think it was the 1.4 but not 100%. So that and economy more or less made my mind up. i think the 1.6 petrol should be nippy however but youll use the juice up i think.

Any other questions just fire away

Let the sectret out. whats yor mpg. Thanks

My 1.4 petrol new fiesta is giving me between 35 and 39mpg at best. I drive the same if not better than I did in my mk6 1.4 petrol and get fewer miles per tank in what should be a lighter car. Ive done nearly 4k miles in mine and most of my work commute is dual carridgeway and motorway.

Thanks Sussex. I have to say that I am a bit disappointed. I am hoping to get 44mpg+ from my 1.4 when it arrives. My mum has a 10 year old 1.6 petrol automatic, and she gets 35-39 mpg. Technology moves on since then. I will update you when I can.

I have the new fiesta with a 1.4 engine, and got 38MPG on the last tank on 100% town driving. Only has 600 miles on the clock too :P. It might sound stupid but check your tyres and make sure they have the correct air in them as this could affect MPG by 1-2 MPG

I have the new fiesta with a 1.4 engine, and got 38MPG on the last tank on 100% town driving. Only has 600 miles on the clock too :P. It might sound stupid but check your tyres and make sure they have the correct air in them as this could affect MPG by 1-2 MPG

Good advice that we (I atleast) always forget about!

Tyres checked reguarly and are spot on. I will drop into my Ford dealer and mention my MPG.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you about the rattle but I reckon mine's from the glove box area--I've mentioned it to my dealer and they will check it at 1500 miles.

Voice activation is good I agree and I've had this problem with the word "phone" so it's probably not your wife's fault (but don't tell her though).

I've cured it by saying "telephone" which so far has worked a treat.