Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.25 Or 1.4?

aphid

Hello, I want to buy a nearly new Fiesta when I return to the UK - under 3 years old . Although I used to have a 1.25 Fiesta before I left to work overseas in 2007 I have lost touch. There are clearly many more 1.25 engines models to choose from than 1.4 and, of course, prices for comparable age cars are cheaper and with lower mileage. The car will be used mainly for local driving around town. I have decided on either a Zetec or Titanium but would welcome thoughts on engine size, please.

Hi Andy. I had to get rid of my car because it was slowly dying and the only thing I could afford was a not so new Fiesta 1.25. Was really worried about going from a 1.6 to a 1.25 but I was pleasantly surprised. I live out in a very rural area and have to travel to town each day for work. My little 1.25 does me proud! She has an amazing 'zip' and whilst I don't have the speed to overtake anything other than the numerous tractors I meet on my journey I can honestly say that I don't miss my 1.6 at all. She's cheaper to run and I absolutely love her! I don't remember when I last drove anything lower than a 1.4 but am completely satisfied with my 1.25. She has a Zetac engine and I have complete confidence in her. I don't think a 1.25 would be a bad choice if you're doing town driving.

Jassy

Hi there, i have a 1.25 zetec for my first car and my family and friends always say to me when they are in the passenger seat that the car handles well, Its very comfortable to be in and also fairly quick at accelerating. There all used to 2.0 focus's so to hear that is quite overwhelming, I dont think youll be dissappointed. (:

The 1.25 80ps is a really strong engine. I have the 1.4 as the Titanium doesn't have the option of the 1.25. The 1.4 is a little quicker and more a bit more torque but the 1.25 is plenty for town and occasional runs on quicker roads.

I used to have a 2009 1.25 Zetec, and when I was considering which engine to go for I spent ages comparing the stats for both the 1.25 and 1.4. I drove both and honeslty didn't think the 1.4 was worth it over the 1.25... it maybe a little quicker for overtaking, but if you are driving round town then the 1.25 is surprisingly pokey!

I then started doing more and more long motorway trips, which the 1.25 is fine for, but the appeal of the arm-chair like Focus become too great :P

I went for the 1.25 (82) as it’s doing a lot of in town running. Did the homework before and was really rather surprised. It’s a fantastic about town with all the usual small engine benefits but it was a surprise on the motorway in particular. It gets a little buzzy but there are some really sweet spots in the power band and the little rascal just keeps pulling and pulling. When you expect it to run out of puff you get carried along on another little wave of power and off you go again. Makes for easy stress free motorway driving and you can happily play in the third lane for hours. Really good fun extracting the performance from that little engine, just make sure it’s the 82 version.

I went for the 1.25 (82) as it’s doing a lot of in town running. Did the homework before and was realy rather surprised. It’s a fantastic about town with all the usual small engine benefits but it was a surprise on the motorway in particular. It gets a little buzzy but there are some really sweet spots in the power band and the little rascal just keeps pulling and pulling. When you expect it to run out of puff you get carried along on another little wave of power and off you go again. Makes for easy stress free motor way driving and you can happily play in the third lane for hours. Really good fun extracting the performance from that little engine, just make sure it’s the 82 version.

Couldn't have put it better myself! It feels like a bigger engine than it is. Going from that into my diesel Focus was a steep learning curve as it has terrible flat spots, whereas the Fiesta was always on the mark :)

I always choose the larger capacity engine as the tax is the same for starters and i know its not a lot of difference but the 95ps power range does help

The 1.4 is slightly less stressed than the 1.25 would be. so if you cannot afford a 1.6 choose the 1.4

Jamie

Edit The tax isnt the same Doh £100 for the 1.25 (127 G/KM) and £120 for the 1.4 (133 G/KM)

I always choose the larger capacity engine as the tax is the same for starters and i know its not a lot of difference but the 95ps power range does help

The 1.4 is slightly less stressed than the 1.25 would be. so if you cannot afford a 1.6 choose the 1.4

Jamie

Potentially wrong - the 1.25 80 is tax band D (£100 for 12 months), the 1.4 is tax band E (£120 for 12 months) for current cars. Brand spanking new 1.4s might just sneak into the D band as Ford have tweaked things but you have to be really careful.

I have edited my post Doh :o

I should have gone to specsavers. :rolleyes:

Iam usually really carefull :-( :ph34r:

Thanks Colin

I have edited my post Doh :o

I should have gone to specsavers. :rolleyes:

Iam usually really carefull :-( :ph34r:

Thanks Colin

Depends on the manufacture date. Ford have just tweaked it, the DVLA have the details but the new ratings aren't on the Ford website yet.